1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What's on your mind?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Thanks guys!

She’s still holding on

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    i'm so sad. can't stop the dizzy. cant stop drinking.

3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Granting circumstances, grief is healthy, & grieving is a necessary process.

However don't allow it to consume you.

… & ditch the drink, if by drink you mean alcohol. Not only will it elongate the sadness you're experiencing, it is very likely to be negatively impacting your immune system, which in turn will be amplifying your symptoms.

Rather than attempt to drown your grief, or to wallow in it, take a deep breath, focus your attention & observe your grief from a nonjudgmental distance.

Doing this, over time, will allow you to watch it pass you by.

*man hugs

4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    3:30am here. I'm tired. Ignore any possible typos.

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Am I the only person in this universe who isn't all that interested in Game of Thrones?

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Nathan, what is this Game of Thrones you speak of?

Haven't watched it, ever, and I have no desire to watch it. That and The Walking Dead.

7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Justin Cronin once wrote, & I'm likely to butcher this quote as it has been many years since I read The Passage:

"What are the walking dead, if not a metaphor for the misbegotten march of middle age?"

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The Dyatlov Pass incident is a fascinating unsolved mystery.

If anyone is interested, the Wikipedia entry can be found here, while a short, 19 minute video covering the incident can be found here, viewer discretion advised.

The incident often acts as a bug light for the credulous, conspiracy theorists, those inclined to spot tinfoil hats, or conflate Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO)—emphasis on unidentified—with abduction by aliens from another planet, however.

Nonetheless, I would love to know what happened on that mountain that night.

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks Nathan. I meant that I drink too much when I'm feeling really dizzy to calm the dizzy. But your wisdom on the matter is well taken.

10. How someone can even think of selling their kid and get by with it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  12. How nice the rain has ended

13. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    We generally use the term "by a country mile" to emphasise a significant distinction between two things. Samatha is the better gymnast by a country mile.

Presumably the word "country" is placed in this term to highlight the additional distance traveled along a winding road vs. a straight city road, & the mental model of a clear (possibly) empty space separating country point A from country point B, vs. city point A from city point B.

However this concept is only amplified by the unit of measurement "nautical mile".

Why not emphasise the significant distinction between two things by using the term "by an ocean nautical mile"? Or just "by a nautical mile"?

Samantha is the better gymnast by an ocean nautical mile. Or better yet "by a stormy ocean nautical mile" as this would increase the ocean surface distance traveled, because one would have to travel distances of altitude also—up, down & over waves, which will only add distance to the flat nautical mile.

Moreover, it would encourage most people to think beyond what is familiar to them, which is a good thing.

I haven't slept for three days *groans & mehs

It's been a beautiful night, though. Smells beautiful outside.

The sky has been clear, & warm northerly winds have blown all night. The cool change, which should be here within the hour, will bring cold, gusty winds, antarctic perfumes, & buckets of rain.

14. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    On my mind...
    tired of my vestibular challenges.

Tough times with family - medical decisions around my moms failing health, code status, end of life, quality of life, family dynamics.

Trying to decide whether to escape to the cabin for a few days, or head home to struggling (adult) son. Self care vs helpfulness, trying to find literal and figurative balance.

15. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Anne - it’s not being selfish to take care of yourself. You cannot be much help if you are struggling yourself. Remember when flying, they tell you to put your mask on first before putting on your child’s. Same principle applies here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Feeling saner today.

My Wise Inner Voice said, are you done? With anxiety, pessimism, gloom etc. I answered yes so done!! but how to be done? WIV says not to worry about the how, We’ve got this.

I sound crazy but my WIV rarely fails me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Nathan's inner sleep deprived wise-ass says ‘Wide-field Infrared Vision rarely fails astronomical surveying, too'.

Cool. Just promise not to allow your WIV to post in the first person.

I am Anne's wise inner voice.

I am Anne's pancreas.

We are Anne's synapses.

I am Anne's despondency. Spawned in region of gloom, I stand carved from chaos & stained by its preprise. Atop of this bloody heath, I despondency materialise, in effort to vail states of ain soph aur.

Hear me despondency, ecce crucem Domini! I am Anne's wise inner voice, vicit Leo de tribu Judathe! In league with Anne’s synapses, radix David! Alleluia! We renounce you, daemonium!

So on & so forth, as that would border creepy, prompting my concern.

To mention nothing of slippery slopes, of course *snort

18. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Would anyone like to speak on behalf of my compression leggings?

Anyone?

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Omg you’ve met Anne’s Despondency! Eeyore on steroids.

I am Nathan’s Compression Stockings. Asphyxiation and strength, I laugh at your attempts to put me on.

20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The mental imagery of Eeyore on steroids now finds itself etched in my mind, adjacent to the mental snapshot of Donnie Darko's Frank, the giant bunny rabbit.

Ha.

…& futile are your attempts to remove my clingy cousin, Compression Long Sleeve.

(Why does Compression Long Sleeve sound like an apt name for a pirate?)

• Like Like x 1