1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anyone else experienced trouble/discrimination getting Medical testing because of hearing devices?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Autumninthefall, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    So, I’ve been experiencing some really bad health problems. Needed an MRI. The paper work provided ahead of time allows you to indicate if you have any kind of implantable hearing device. They were told ahead of time that I have a titanium abutment for my BAHA.
    On the day I went to have the MRI, the technician refused to do it. He said, “you should have brought your MRI card.” I then told him I was never told I needed such a thing, as I was perfectly safe to get an MRI. He then chided me for not keeping my MRI card on me. When I tried to explain my doctor had assured me, prior to my having the implant placed, that I’d never have problems like this, he then informed me that: I should have known that my abutment could have electronics in it, that I needed to provide the make, model, and serial number of my implant for this appointment. When I asked why he needed the serial number he said it would change,”placement.” I asked him to call my doctor, so he could clear things up, but he refused. Clearly, he just wasn’t going to do it.

I was so flustered/embarrassed, it was only after I got home that I realized I had my BAHA case, which had all of the information the guy claimed to need, on it! Also, I called the company that manufactured my device, just to make sure I wasn’t missing something. My device never came with any MRI card that I’m supposed to carry around. Apparently, I was the victim of an ill-informed technician, who took it upon himself to berate me for his own ignorance. I really wish the guy had just said, “look, I’m not sure about this, and I don’t want to risk hurting you, the machine, or getting fired.” THAT I could completely understand. Instead, I got personally attacked.

I had to make another appointment to go back, but I got lucky the second time. The lady was familiar with BAHAs. It was still strange, however, and though she was incredibly kind, she might as well have written CYA on my paperwork. She literally wrote down the make/model of my BAHA, a signature line, and asked me to sign it...in case anyone is curious I did survive.
    Has anyone else experienced problems getting medical testing of any kind due to hearing devices?:( :mad:

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have a titanium plate in my head from acoustic neuroma surgery 22 years ago and i never was given a card or asked for one for my many mri’s. I am sure i told them about it.

3. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    With my BAHA impant I'm fine on some MRIs and not others -- depends on the strength of the magnetic coil in the machine. A week after the implant surgery I showed up for an MRI appointment at the University hospital to check placement. After a phone call with the BAHA manufacturer they moved me to an older machine with a less powerful coil. Titanium is very weakly magnetic, and some of the newer MRI machines are powerful enough to attract the metal.

One MRI tech I spoke with didn't understand the difference between a CI (which has implanted electronics) and a BAHA abutment. MRI can damage the electronics in a CI, but a BAHA abutment is usually fine and has no electronics.

Like you, I never got an implant card for my BAHA. However, I was able to download a copy of it from the manufacturer's (Cochlear) website. I carry it with me in case there is a medical emergency and I'm unable to communicate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yikes! I wonder if this applies to the 8” titanium plate holding my skull together.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Might be worth asking about, since imaging technology has been changing over the years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018