1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you watching?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by AnneT, May 20, 2019.

1. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I enjoyed a documentary about Bill Murray (Netflix) doing random drop ins, making people happy. Kind of a zen, Jesus approach to improv in real life. Boosted my mood!

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Any suggestions for TV shows, Netflix, DVDs etc? Not much on TV during the summer.

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Stranger Things. It's very popular and very good. It's a throwback 80's type thing. I think on Netflix. I've watched the first season. Really great. All those 80's vibes come back to life so fun-like. I don't know what generation people are here. But think, ET, Night Rider, The Icredible Hulk (the tv show, not the dumb blockbuster), Tron...oh hell, all the 80's stuff! I want to start up again soon. But if anyone needs to start from the beginning, I'll wait till they catch up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    In combination with its title sequence, Stranger Things engendered my love affair with the music genre Synthwave.

Oh it is, & they do. A superb love letter to the 80's.

Season 2 & 3 are excellent too.

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Nathan, if synthwave, is vaporwave, I'm right there with you. It's amazing how artists (musicians) are always renewing the past into something their own. That's all music is really. That's how it keeps going. Building from what they all heard when they were 13. Passing the baton.

6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *Nods… Vaporwave is a subcategory of Synthwave, Retrowave, or possibly, & ultimately, an element harboured beneath the rubric Retrofuturism.

To the best of my understanding Vaporwave is somewhat synonymous to Chillwave, in so far as it's simply downtempo synthwave/retrowave.

Like you I tend to gravitate towards Chillwave/Vaporwave subcategories, though more so towards the—also relatively slower-tempo'ed—Darkwave/Dark Retrowave artists. Artists such as ALEX, Tokyo Rose, Daniel Deluxe, LazerHawk, or at times Power Glove, for instance.

I would list Kavinsky also, though he stands, somehow someway, with many feet in many overlapping territories. Some say electro, some say synthwave, while others insist retro generically. You decide. You may already be familiar with his work if you've seen Drive. Which I highly recommend if in fact you haven't. To say nothing of my avatar *laughs

That said there are oodles of Synthwave artists featuring one or two, dare I say with no hint of irony or sarcasm, awesome tracks in otherwise mediocre albums. The above artists, to my ears, reliably produce A+ albums, however.

Of late I've linked a handful of tracks in 'What are you listening to', if interested.

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    What do you lot think Top Gun: Maverick will be like? Insulting, or complimentary to the timeless original?

Like Jaws, Top Gun is one of my favourite movies. If Top Gun: Maverick is anything less than excellent, I will vaporise Paramount Pictures.

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hmmm not sure what genres I’d put myself in. Here are my favourite movies, ones that I can watch over and over:

Jaws
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Alive
    Moonstruck
    Birdman
    The Full Monty
    Juno

I found some summer viewing on the tube - Orange is the New Black. Reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond. Intervention. Mom.

I’m a diehard Survivor fan - can’t wait for the next season. Wednesday evenings feel sad without Jeff.

10. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Poldark, British drama series - actually waiting for the next season. Highly recommend it!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi Marta! How’s it going? How’s your garden?

12. Love Stranger Things

Bird Box ❤️

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Veep
    Instinct
    The Good Fight

14. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Chernobyl

Big Little Lies

Ordinary Lies

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Well said, Mel.

One of life's great challenges...for any halfway decent person, is how to make it through without telling lies. Not talking about, "mama your cake was delicious" lies. Your favorite people will be those who don't lie to you. It's hard now. With the political divide. A lie in this case is telling a friend that you agree with her, when you really don't.

A well-known psychiatrist published an essay around a decade ago, saying that we all lie around 100 times a day. it's just what we do! to make a conversation work. ahhhh!

We humans are complicated things!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    If I recall, according to that psychologist, the amount we lie per day is actually upwards of 1,000 times. Not only white lies. I think he's including, like, agreeing with someone, when you don't actually agree. To come up with such a high estimate per day, I figure he was even including nodding at someone when you don't really agree.

Examples I guess:

You hate sunny days cuz you're dark and weird. You get into cab and cab driver says, "nice day, eh?" And you say "yep".

Liar

Your dad's chatting to you about his health, and says, "you member I was tellin you bout my knee last week?" "uh-huh"

LIAR!

Friend: "Bro, Dodgers are on a 7 game winning streak! You like baseball?" "Yeah I like baseball." You could care less about baseball. Liar.

Drunk guy at bar preaching to you about how women only want ONE thing.

"yep, i hear ya"

FILTHY LIAR

That psychologist is probably also counting inaccuracy as a lie. Like when someone asks how long you've been waiting for them. "Oh, just about 10 minutes." Actually, it was precisely 12 minutes and 42 seconds. Again, you're a freakin congenital liar.

I think that psychologist is a jackass. Book publishers tell an author that they have to say something outrageous in interviews, so they garner media attention for the book.

Another expert/author comes to mind about this. He said your pet dog is incapable of loving you. All of your dog's seeming affection is just a way to manipulate you to get fed. Your dog sees you solely as a food source.

17. A&E on tube, but really not watching.

Missing my classic MTV

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Mind Hunter on Netflix. Holy shit, what a great show!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    How utterly sublime, & all-encompassing is Cameron Britton as Edmond!

Hannah Ash portrays Debbie exceptionally well, too.

I do hope however that Cameron Britton doesn't find himself typecast. The man has an immense skill set that I would love to see in future productions, regardless of theme & character.

Are you currently wading season 1, or have you made your way to season 2?

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Season 2. I know that dramatic arcs demand bad things for Holden, but I miss his wide-eyed polite innocence and keen-bean vibe from season 1.

Yes Edmund is terrifying and so likeable all at once!

Debbie inspires me... her solidness (is that a word?) in herself, not engaging in small talk simply to make someone else comfortable at her expense.