1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Scared for VNG.. could it cause a flare up?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MaryR, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi friends,
    So, after a really horrible past 6 months, with violent vertigo episodes occurring almost every day, I finally started JOH and Antivirals (valacyclovir 3g) 2 weeks ago. Initially I was even sicker for the first 10 days.. then all of a sudden I have felt GREAT for the past 4 days. No dizzies, no episodes, no safe position on my bathroom floor. This has been the longest stretch (4 days) I’ve gone in 6 months without a major episode.

So here’s my question.. I have a VNG scheduled in 2 days. I’m afraid that the VNG Test will encourage or ignite a vertigo attack... and usually the way I roll is that once I have an attack I can count on having them continuously every day for the next several weeks. Am I just being superstitious? If the VNG causes me to become vertiginous do you think I’ll bounce back? Or could it be the start of a “flare up”? Also, if I am in “remission” will the VNG show anything? Is it worth keeping the appointment? I’ve had this scheduled for 4 months.. would hate to cancel it if it is something I really should bite the bullet and do. But I’d also hate to go and do the testing and put myself back into the throes of a vertigo flare up, or waste my time if I am feeling good, and the test won’t be valid or show anything.
    Anyone have any advice or opinions?
    Thanks so much.
    Warmly,
    Mary

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Mary, I had the same fears, and totally get what you're going through. I have had VNG testing three times. Yes, while the caloric testing, where they put cool and then warm air or water in your ear, can set off dizziness or spinning, it lasts only for a few minutes, until the temperatures equalize. It's not the same as a typical Meniere's vertigo attack where whatever is stimulating it (sick inner ear hair cells, for example) doesn't resolve right away. On one of the tests I did need to use the bucket they had on hand, but the nausea was gone just afterward. It was less than 10 minutes of discomfort to get valuable information.

The information from VNG testing is an important piece of determining your next best treatment step. It sounds like you are in a pretty debilitating state at this point, and you may be considering more interventions. Based on VNG and hearing test results along with my inability to function, I went ahead with having labyrinthectomy surgery. That was a year ago. It took the better part of six months to retrain my brain to balance without that part of my vestibular system, but I'm so glad I did it. I'm completely deaf on that side after the surgery, but that is a small loss compared to the confidence I've gained with the ability to make commitments and know I'll be able to show up, and to not live in fear of when an attack might occur. This summer I've enjoyed gardening in a way I haven't in decades, and even spent a full day at the state fair with a fun group of family. Those activities would have been unfathomable a year ago.

Go ahead and get the test. You'll be able to have a more informed discussion with your doctor about how to get relief from the horrible state you're now in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I have had the VNG tests done twice. Once about two years ago and again back in April of this year. The last 18 months I was having short vertigo attacks at least one a week, the test it's self did not trigger any vertigo, just some unsteadiness for a few minutes.
    My labyrinthectomy was three weeks ago ( Aug 20)and I'm doing well enough that I was up on a ladder this past weekend painting the house.
    Best of luck to you.
    Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Never had any impact on me.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    On a ladder 3 weeks post laby? Kudos to you! May the rest of your recovery be just as smooth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Mary I have been thinking of you. Hope the VNG tests went well and you are still feeling GREAT! Bonnie