1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks for the recommendation Bennyhill,I am new to the forum and feeling very desperate I will try B6 and B5 and hopefully my life can resume.

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Welcome Rosa. Sorry you have to meet us here! Look around the forum - lots of information and experience. Many improve without changing anything. Some have had success with vitamins, supplements, antivirals, allergy treatments.

Some of us have had to go onto medical procedures to gain control of vertigo attacks. Assuming the diagnosis is correct as Menieres, the only 100% cure is labyrinthectomy (but also loss of hearing on that side). VNS is close behind (saves the hearing but is a more invasive surgery), and gentamicin injections (lowest risk procedure, may improve or worsen hearing) are about 80-93% effective.

Good luck, keep us posted!

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Clarification: 100 % cure of the vertigo attacks.

4. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks for you reply Anne T
    These last few weeks have been the worst for me with more attacks.
    I am going on holidays in September and am keen to have a relaxing time away without these horrible attacks

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Rosa
    Do you have some good rescue medications? Like Ativan (lorazepam) and zofran or meclizine or gravol? I would also chew on mint leaves, and sniff rubbing alcohol to prevent vomiting up my good drugs.

6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Technically, alcohol is a solution.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Welcome to the forum, Rosa *smiles

8. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks for the welcome Nathan and Anne yes on lots of different meds I rattle like a bottle of tablets,peppermint tea is great to sip on as well usually after dinner
    I am going away in September and really looking forward to the time away I just home I get these symptoms under controll

• Like Like x 1
  9. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Just to add my experience to this collection of data...

I started B5+B6 five months ago, and had been doing <1000mg sodium for five months before that. I immediately noticed less brain fog and dizziness (I rarely suffer from full-blown vertigo attacks). In fact, for about three or four straight months I had almost no instance of that brain fog/stuffy head sensation. However, about four months in, it started coming back occasionally - sometimes, I think because of a mistake in the diet, or an allergic reaction. Over the course of the five months I noticed no change in tinnitus. Furthermore, one of my hardest to deal with symptoms is noise sensitivity, and I had a bad attack of that about three weeks ago, that lasted for two weeks. Of course all bodies will respond differently to this supplement combination - it's been great for managing some of my symptoms, but apparently some other symptoms do not respond at all. Thanks for sharing, Bennyhill.

A week ago I started JOH for the first time, crossing my fingers. I'm still taking B5+B6.

10. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Do you eat this cereal with milk? Wouldn't that come to a total of about 150mg per bowl? I always see milk that's ~130mg/8oz

11. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have been taking B5 and B6 as preventative measures (no vertigo since surgery) and I have noticed that it has helped me with dry mouth. It was very uncomfortable during night time and now the problem is gone!

12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi Marta
    Weird about the cure for dry mouth! Interesting... I tend to have a dry mouth too. I’ve had it temporarily relieved during acupuncture, restorative yoga, and massage so I figure it’s a stress habit of my body. Maybe the B6 helps with calming the nervous system.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BobNY

BobNY New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    New to the forum and came across this. I had to get it as B-Complex at Vitamin Shopee with 100mg of 5, 100 of 6 and of all others, but figure i will try that. Day 1. we will see....

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Ftmomof3

Ftmomof3 New Member

Oct 4, 2019

When you are in desperate mode you are willing to try anything!!! I just ordered this 2 from Amazon and will start them tomorrow.

Thank you for posting this. Good luck to all

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Benny I certainly hope you remain and post now and then, you’ve been very helpful to many here.

Ray
    Menieres.org owner

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    After reading through Bennyhill's posts on B5 + B6 I immediately ordered some of both. I've been taking 100mg of each for almost a month and have definitely noticed a difference.

I felt some relief within days, only to notice that my dizziness and brain fog would return now and then. Interestingly enough, I noticed I am most sensitive to sodium in the morning. Even 150mg can bring on some dizziness. But when I reduced my sodium intake further for anything I eat within the first hour or two of being awake, I noticed I did a lot better throughout the day. I could even eat things with a little more sodium at lunch or dinner and not be affected. It must be due to the vitamin B tablets taking time to release and absorb into the system throughout the day. Either way, the B5 and B6 seem to be making a difference and I would advocate trying them.

My next step is (hopefully) convincing my doctor to prescribe antivirals. While the B5 and B6 have been helpful with the dizziness symptom, I'd love to find an answer to alleviating the ear pressure changes, which the B5 and B6 do not seem to help.

17. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Experiences by people with Meniere’s continue to expand the notion that, at least in some cases, symptoms can be suppressed by taking adequate B vitamins. B vitamin deficiency may be a causative or contributing factor in the disease (for a number of reasons, including B-vitamin support of the immune system, which thereby suppresses herpes virus activity).

As I noted previously, the regimen of over the counter vitamins and supplements that I devised successfully stopped my Meniere’s symptoms. But in recent years, I have no longer used any specific element of the regimen; I remain symptom-free.

My retreat from the regimen happened at the same time I started to take a multivitamin, multi-supplement combination that has been very healthful (along with 8000IU of vitamin D-3 each day — which also supports the immune system).

Here’s the big multi-factor multivitamin I take:
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-s...es?q=men's+multivitamin&ta=men's+multivitamin

My wife takes this:
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-synergy-womens-multivitamin-120-capsules

Both have favorably elevated B-vitamin levels (and so much more).

For those who wish to try just a straight high B-vitamin complex (with a bit of vitamin C), this is highly recommended:
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-complex-with-vitamin-c-180-capsules

Among other good things, there is evidence that the taking of a B-vitamin complex reduces the chances of Alzheimer’s disease:
    https://www.alzheimersorganization.org/vitamins

Lastly, as valuable as a B5/B6 regimen might be, the taking of ALL of the B vitamins is most favorable. They all work in combination. Take them all, not just two.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Oh John, I am so glad to see a post by you. Even though I didn' t become a member until 2017 , I was a voyeur on the site for years before that and I always have appreciated your posts.

Thanks for the B vitamin post. I am one of those unlucky people who have mm and mav. I had been taking all of the Bs when I went to a holistic neurologist for vestibular migraines. He told me that I should take 400 mg of B 2 , but high doses of B6 exacerbate migraines. I have read about the merits of B 2, but have not been able to find anything about the B 6. Have you ever come across that study?

Since this neurologist was out of pocket$ , I have not been back to verify the B 6 info, I would like to go back to trying the B combo pill but feel nervous....mav is not a pretty thing.

If you have any insight, I would appreciate, if not I understand, not sure if MAV is one of your expertise too.

You may pm me the answer, since it is really a different topic than the thread.

Hope you are doing well...and again thanks for all the info you provide.

Best to you Bonnie

19. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Might elevated B vitamins prompt MAV symptoms? I don't know. If they did, simply stop taking them. B vitamins are all water soluble; not stored anywhere in the body. So very quickly exhausted and excreted after no longer taking them.

20. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have just managed to order B complex form the site mentioned above and it’s going to be shipped to the UK. Thank you JOH!