1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

3 yrs of antivirals....

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    thanks to this website I have lived a fairly normal life with Menieres. I have been on 3000mg daily of antivirals for roughly 3 yrs. Most of that time I was almost symptom free. However the last two months I have had several full blown attacks, and the ringing in my ears is severe.

My anti virals have changed to numerous generics over the last 3 yrs.

I’m currently on Teva, the change in generic from Northstar to Teva has been the biggest change.

Has anyone struggled with Teva brand antivirals?

I’m at some what of a lost for words as antivirals have been my only line of defense (along with JOH regimen, which I started again a month ago.)

So that’s my current situation! All insight or comments are appreciated.

2. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Blakeh, I have not used Teva brand but have had a couple of duds in my time until landing on Northstar. Your prescribing physician can dictate that it must be Northstar brand. Not sure where you live, but the Acme Supermarket pharmacy (Savon) seems to carry exclusively Northstar brand. At least for the past couple of years.

Also, I recently read a thread here where some people have ditched the pharmaceuticals and are attacking the virus with Monolaurin and Lysine. You may want to give that a shot along with the rest of the JOH regimen.

Best of luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Teesdale thanks so much for the feedback. I was taking northstar and felt great, unfortunately the price at Costco went up to over $800 a month. I will see if any other sources can get it cheaper. Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it.

4. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    $800 a month? Is that with health insurance?

I ask because I am going to try to get my family doctor to prescribe me an antiviral. I have not looked into costs with my insurance, which is generally pretty good.

5. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    That was the problem for me too. I have good insurance but to get the name brand, even with the online coupon, would be almost $ 800 a month.

Whenever I got generic was always mylan...which from this forum and the internet is a dud. I did not find that out until I had already got it.

I read somewhere on the forum that famvir generic has less problems than Valtex generic, after I finish my other regimes, maybe I will try that...

Please keep us posted on if you are able to get a good, not expensive, generic.

6. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you for the comments. We just finished calling all local pharmacies for Northstar and they all come out to about $800 a month. Which is new because I’ve been paying out of pocket for this for awhile and it was $130-150 a month. Now it’s $800. I’m currently on Teva but it’s not helping. I guess all I can do is try another generic.

7. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I take Famvir and have max dose for 3 years. It’s northstar. I pay cash and it’s around $150/month. Local pharmacy.

I have a few flare ups a year. Between 1-3. They last around a week. Otherwise I feel much better than pre mm. I don’t know why I still have the flares. I will try to add a few supplements to see if I can get rid of them. And allergy treatments.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think sometimes permanent damage has been done and our best outcome is to keepmit from getting worse and spreading to another ear.

9. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks Gardengal, that makes me think it must be the state I am in. I’m currently looking for out of state pharmacies and seeing if I can get my old price of around $150.

10. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    deleted and turned into new post.