1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Can you eat more salt after being on antivirals ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Hope4Relief, Oct 10, 2019.

For those who have severely limited salt intake, does Antiviral Meds allow you to eat more salt?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hope4Relief

Hope4Relief New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    I have limited by diet to 300 to 400 mg of salt per day, and have had no dizzy spells in four months. Wondering if anyone else has limited sodium to this extent, then been on antivirals and later able to eat more salt?

2. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    300-400 mg seems real low. I recommend getting your potassium levels checked. I shoot for 1000 but still do OK at 1500. My potassium needed supplement even at those levels.

funny thing is that now I don't like salted food. Not even MacDonalds fries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Varies. good days/weeks...all the salt I want. Bad days/weeks...not so much.

4. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have limited salt and it did not help me. I currently do not feel salt effects me. But everyone is different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hope4Relief

Hope4Relief New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Thanks - I am going in this next week or 2 and will have several different levels drawn. I was normal in my levels in the past surprisingly, but need to keep monitoring. I’ve found 1 other post by a Nutritionist who has MD, and said that’s the least you can do. So thankful it works for me, but sounds like everyone is different.

6. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    When my problems 1st began, low salt diet helped. Later on it became one of those things I just continued without evidence of any real benefit. Now, it's a lifestyle. For me, limiting sodium to less than 1500mg is a good dietary choice regardless of health issues. I look at salt content in restaurant meals now a days and am shocked.

7. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    I always review restaurant menus with nutrition so I can pick out something low in sodium. I am shocked at the sodium levels. One could easily consume 5000mg of sodium in one meal.

8. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    Even a salad is 1500 in many restaurants.

9. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    How true.

10. Leonora

Leonora New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    That's a very good question that I was wondering about myself. I'll be following to see what folks say. I've reduced to 700-800 mg sodium/day. I agree with everyone else when I say how shocked I am at the sodium amounts in processed and restaurant foods.

11. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Initially my idea of low sodium diet was I quit the salt shaker. Then moved on to a low sodium diet but doubt I ever was below 1500 mg per day.
    Started Valtrex back in March and immediately felt better. Then started adding foods high in sodium with no problems. Heck, I even had pizza just the other evening.
    It might just be that sodium doesn't cause me any problems?

12. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    I basically have to cook everything myself, which is time consuming but the stuff they sell that is low sodium, seems to be low tasty. At least I can try to jazz things up with spices.

Since there are 590 mg in a 1 / 4 tsp of salt, and then certain foods naturally have salt in them, even cooking myself I probably still intake around 1000 - 1500 mg a day.

I learned though that you really do not want to go too low on sodium or you can develop another can of worms. Messes up your electrolytes and some studies say low sodium can set off vestibular migraine / migraine associated vertigo / migraines.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    Chicken breasts from most stores come in a salt brine glaze. Gotta scrub to get some of it off or by from the local farm producer. It's real hard to get below 1000 mg/day as they put salt in everything. If I really try, I can get to 500. However, I see no need for that. Not for me.

I agree with the target of 1000-1500. It works for me as a general dietary target.

• Agree Agree x 2