1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Itchy Ears

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Susan Weaver, May 26, 2019.

1. Susan Weaver

Susan Weaver New Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Western Massachusetts
    Hi - Does anyone else experience itchy ears? When my ears itch, (almost like when your nose itches) - the inside of my ear will feel super itchy and then it will be a little unstable for a second or two and then stop. The "mini" unstable feeling is like a little thumping noise or a little crackling noise. Wondering if anyone else has this and whether they have seen a connection to allergies? It feels just like your nose itching before you sneeze but instead its in my ears - and both ears - the good one and the bad one.

2. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Sounds like allergies to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Susan, I often get itchy ears, the bad ear is always worse.

4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Yes, me too itchy ears! It can drive me nuts. My doc gave me cortisone cream and it helps. Just a dab on a q tip.

5. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I occasionally experience itchy ears but it isn't related to Meniere's symptoms. I notice the itchy ears when I have occasional seasonal allergies--along with itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, etc. The only time I've ever noticed that the allergy symptoms have any effect on the Meniere's symptoms is when my sinuses feel blocked--something that rarely happens with my allergy issues. I have a few bad allergy days a year, primarily late summer and early fall, which are easily controlled with Flonase and Benedryl.

6. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    When my allergies flare i want to scratch my ears off. Don’t think it has anything to do with my Meniere’s directly. I get monthly allergy shots that do seem to help keep my MM from getting irritated in peak allergy season.

7. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I have itchy ears so bad and atopic dermatitis in my outer ears which drives me bonkers. I believe there is a strong correlation between itchiness and fungus.

8. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Also, itchy ears can be related to thyroid issues, particularly Hoshimoto's. Hoshimoto's can also cause fluid retention in your lymphs. Endolymphatic hydrops? Hmmm.

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Menieres is often thought to be a disorder of the immune system as are allergies. Allergy treatment helped me and many others with MM symptoms. A simple approach might be to keep a diary of food eaten and activities and also mark on the journal when the itchy ears occur. Then after several minths, look back and see if you find any correlation. If so make indicated changes. I was told to picture the immune system as a pitcher of water. Any assault to the immune system which allergies are, is lime adding a glass of water to the pitcher. When the pitcher overflows, immune system including MM acts up. The idea is to reduce anything that adds stress to the immune shstem.

10. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi June,

I'm I know for sure when I eat any dairy it flares me up and sugar. By sugar I don't mean just refined sugar. I don't touch the stuff because it will and has set me into choppy waters. Every single time. I'm wondering if I have Hoshimoto's Disease and it's causing the Meniere's due to fluid build up. I was having digestion issues and awful panic attacks before all the ear stuff and imbalance started. Dairy is commonly not tolerated amongst people with Hoshimoto's. Another potential cause.

• Like Like x 1
  11. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    seems like worth following up on with the dr.

12. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    My doctors are useless. Let's be real. I don't go to medical doctors anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steven55

steven55 New Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Itchy ears... many years of this calvary... got finally cured! Long story...chronic itchy ears crisis over 20+ years! Was feeling like some ants crawling far down my auditive ear channel.
    Driving me insane! Itchy crisis every day, every hour... day and night! I had tried almost everything ( so many products... many works few hours ) , and many doc/ENT, in 3 different countries.
    Many diffferent diagnosis like eczem ... but all workless! Same as read many time in above comments: doctors cannot see anything wrong (or red too much scratch)
    My ENT recommended a plant phytotherapy treatment oplantamednaturo alike. Worked great for me. During few weeks after treatment I also use Olive oil to keep ear skin moisted.
    After few weeks, ear wax become again "normal" so was able again to put water in my ears! No problem anymore! Good Luck.

14. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Be careful with this! I have no doubt the oil remedy works well for many, but take into account the texture of your earwax. I learned the hard way that if you try this remedy, but don’t have sticky earwax, you may end up with a compacted ear of skin! (And no, I didn’t use very much oil!)