1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Flu and other vaccines

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EmilyP, Oct 5, 2019.

1. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Hi to everyone, I am being asked by my primary and others to get the flu shot, also he wants me to take the Pneumonia Vaccine. I am so leary of this, I am on JOH, B 5&6, and acyclovir since late January. And finally, I am feeling better, very little tinnitus which is my primary symptom. Facial fullness and feeling minimal.
    So if I take these vaccines, will I push myself backward? Unfortunately, I don't really trust my primary, altho he's good, with this call.

Thank you and I hope everyone is having a good day. It's game day, Go Gators :)

2. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Emily,

My first thought is do you usually get an annual flu shot? I think that is a big part of the question. How have you reacted to them in the past?

If you do not usually get a shot and are feeling good now, I wouldn't risk relapse.

I had a terrible reaction to those shots, so I have not had one for years. I feel the high dose of lysine, vitamin c and bioflavonoids gives some protection from things.

The only thing I know from SECOND hand experience is a dear friend's husband got both the flu shot and pneumonia shot and he had serious consequences and ended up in the hospital for a long time.

Later on her primary doctor said the two shouldn't be administered together in people with a weak immune system.

So if you decide to get them both, space the time in getting them apart.

It would be interesting to do a forum poll, who gets the flu shot and who does not.

Hope your Gators do well. Hubs is a big Alabama fan ( and Patriots for the big league)

Hope you get lots of good replies to help you have peace in making your decision. Bonnie:)

PS My homeopathic doctor is totally against all flu shots and my primary doctor is the biggest advocate of them. o_O

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I had the pneumonia vaccine last year and get a flu shot every year. Neither has affected my ears at all.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Both shots and no issues.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  5. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    i don’t usually get the flu shot. I’m not one to go for all these vaccines, this was before I got sick. I agree with you with the acyclovir & lysine I should be good. we won!! Beat Auburn!!! My son in law is a huge Patriot fan. We are Dolphins long suffering DolphinsLOL. Thanks for your reply.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    I never had a flu shot up until a few years ago, after my husband got so sick with the flu and had complications. I literally thought he was going to die.

7. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    My MD started 6 months after I got a flu shot, and I have avoided getting one since. It was probably not associated but it is difficult for me to not to question it.

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I have a flu vaccination every year. I'm up to date & brimming with all remaining & necessary vaccinations too, as I'm often abroad. Vaccines have never influenced my meniere's symptoms.

Give me a A!

Give me a L!

… What does it spell? Alligatoridae! Raargh *scary face tiger hands

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My friend and school roommate died from pneumonia before she turned 40. She had a cold, went to work, came home that evening and flopped into a chair. She was found the next morning still in the chair and speaking incoherently. She was taken to the hospital but died three days later.

I get an annual flu shot and have never had any problem with it or with the pneumonia vaccine.

10. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I never use to get the flu shot. After my granddaughter required a liver transplant to save her life everything changed. My little sweetie lives with a compromised immune system. If she contracted the flu it could be a life or death situation. Therefore everyone in the family now receives the flu shot gratefully. Flu shots saves lives. I have always been very healthy (except for MM but laby took care of that for me) so why would I need a flu shot? Obviously I have changed my way of thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  11. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    I'm very sorry about your friend. My husband is a really tough old guy. I think if he wasn't as strong and healthy as he is, that flu and pneumonia would have killed him. He doesn't miss the flu shot any more, either.

12. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Everyone has a different life experience with these shots. I can only share mine. I understand we all have to make the best decisions based on what we know. Flu shots may be fine for many people.

When I got the shot I became very sick. I do not know if I was allergic to something in the shot and it weakened my immune system, or if it just gave me some type of flu itself. I was supposed to go to a wedding two days after I got the shot and could not. If I thought for a moment I would have had such a reaction I definitely would not have taken it right before a wedding I wanted to go to. I was totally healthy before taking it ( this was before I had menieres, too.)

I was told there are a percentage of people that have very adverse reactions or get sick from the shot. I was both. I am allergic to gluten, egg, penicillin, ragweed and dust. So who knows.

Just as menieres is not common to the whole world, adverse reactions to flu shots may not be common, but they do happen. The holistic doctor told me the best way FOR ME to build up my immune system is to take certain vitamins.

Also I learned when you get the flu shot you have the virus in you for a few days and can be contagious, even though you do not feel sick.

It is interesting because I thought more people on the forum would have had a reaction to the flu shot too because sensitivity to these things was linked to menieres or something.

Sorry to hear all the sad stories and glad you do not get any adverse reactions.

13. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Like anything else that is considered generally safe, these shots can and do cause adverse reactions in some people, so I don't doubt your experience at all. What I have heard is that the virus in in the shots is a killed virus so it cannot actually cause you to become sick wit the flu, but I suppose there can be exceptions to that as well. I have heard that anyone allergic to eggs should not have vaccines, so I am surprised they didn't ask you about that.

14. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I get the flu shot every year and have never had any issues. I've heard of some people getting reactions but nothing that affected their Meniere's.

15. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I get the flu shot and so does everyone in my family. As Red said..... the flu shot saves lives.

never once had a problem with the shot and my ears.

my advice would be to get both shots..... it just may save your life.... God Bless

16. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Hi all I am back to this issue. I do volunteer work at a cancer center and they are requiring everyone to get the flu shot. Which I totally understand. If we don't get it we wear a mask until March. I am really concerned about this as I am reallly making some great progress with my MM. I have been on the regime and antivirals now since the end of January. My tinnitus is FINALLY going away, on Sunday I had no tinnitus at all. That is huge. So taking the shot what if it pushes me back? I have not had reactions to it in the past, but have skipped a year or 2 in taking it. I'm just afraid to take anything outside the regime I follow and the foods that I eat , which I watch so closely. Please pray for me to figure this out.. This forum is a Godsend to me, 1 1/2 year ago I was desperate. Thanks to all of you for your insight and information. God bless...

17. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Talk to the doctor or pharmacist if you have any allergies (for example, eggs) that might get triggered with the vaccine, and don't take the shot if there is a possibility of allergic reaction.

A vaccine itself won't cause a meniere's flare, but a sickness that weakens the body can make a person susceptible to inner ear mischief. If you are in contact with contagious illnesses from the public in your work or young children in your family, a vaccination can provide good protection.

18. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you Clare, I am contacting my ENT and pharm today. Both of these are very good and have helped me alot over this past year.

19. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Emily, just wanted to alert you I private messaged you and am praying for you.

20. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Neither flu, pneumonia or shingles vaccines have bothered my ears.

• Agree Agree x 1