1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

How often do you think about your Ménière's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brother_of_Nool, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Those who've had it for awhile: did it get to the point where you don't think about it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    12 years in.... it actually gets worse with time. The symptoms stop taking breaks. They are with you 24/7 so unfortunately I’ll tell you the answer to your question is no.

3. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Is that even with Meds? Have you ever taken betahistine?

4. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Coming up on 30 years, there have been times where I haven't thought about it for months. Unfortunately, it has a way of coming back and sometimes with a vengeance. It's all I think about the last five months.

Dario, I have never tried betahistine. Have you had sustained relief from it?

5. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Yep. I haven't had an attack since February. A slight dizzy spell here and there but nothing that is not manageable

6. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    I'm going on 27 years now and yes, there are times I've gone for YEARS without a major episode and yup, I for sure wasn't thinking much during those times. I was living my life!

I stepped away from this forum years ago, after being an active user, because in between episodes, I just don't think - or want to think - about Meniere's. I mean, it's there but it's not front of mind. I take my meds and exercise and try to eat healthy and avoid triggers - I just live my life.

I come on here when I need support, which is when I imagine most users do, so remember -- there are plenty of our compatriots out there not posting because they're feeling good and not thinking about it. Remembering that this is an episodic illness gets me through the tough times. There's no reason to think this episode will be any different - as awful as it is now, I know it's going to end because they've always ended. Just hang in there until it does.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    No, and I've had it for almost 50 years. Even during the times it's been in remission, it's always in the back of my mind that it will rear its ugly head again at some point.

8. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I think about it all the time. I'm not sure how I could not think about it since I'm on a modified JOH regimen. And even though I haven't had a major vertigo attack in three and a half years, my tinnitus is a constant reminder.

9. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I think about it all the time because the symptoms are always there...constant disequilibrium, tinnitus. But here's the thing I always know that I will figure this out or something will lend some relief. No doubt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    It's good to have a positive attitude. When my symptoms lessen, I always get hopeful that I've turned a corner or that something that I'm doing is having an effect. Is it the same for those of you who have been dealing with this for decades? Do you still have hope that your hearing/balance/etc will be "normal" again.

11. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Never give up hope. We don't know when someone just might find the answer to this syndrome. Never give up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

I have no hope that my hearing will ever be normal again, especially considering that it has become worse over the last few years and that I am now in my mid 60s and that no one's hearing gets better with age, even if they don't have Meniere's. I do always have the hope that the other symptoms will go into permanent remission and not bother me again, but realistically I know this is very unlikely to happen.

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Every f#%*g day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Lol Anne. +1

• Like Like x 1
  15. melissa

melissa New Member

May 23, 2018
    Like others have said, I think about it less frequently when symptoms have abated for a while. I've had 3 rounds of gent shots, and that usually makes attacks less frequent for 2-3 years. Last time before the gent shot, I was despondent and thinking about it constantly, as the drop attacks were stopping me from doing just about everything. It seems to go in cycles and just gets bad sometimes. I've had this for 13 years, and have finally stopped hoping it will 'just go away.'

16. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Unfortunately everyday no matter how good I feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fatboy

Fatboy New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Georgia
    Hello. I'm not Dario but I have been using Betahistine for almost two years now and I have had only one minor bout with vertigo. Before using it, I would have debilitating bouts that would make me bedridden for days. It's a bit spendy but it seems to work for me.

18. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I'd love to forget about menieres, but it just doesn't want to forget about me. We have daily conversations in which I beg it to stop the torment, but menieres won't listen. Maybe it has a hearing problem?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I consider it every day. I thank the Lord for the months with no Vertigo. I'll pray for His mercy when the symptom returns. We can only take small steps and do the best we can with the time we have been given and the situation we have been handed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Denise Rene

Denise Rene New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Wichita, KS
    I have had it for many years but I have only known the term for 1.5 years. It is with me daily. I wake up and I'm fine. I drink my tea and as the morning progresses either I will be fine or things will change and I need to grab onto something. I like to have background noise - the t.v. or radio - to keep the whooshing noise down. I need to walk slowly so I will not fall. I have to have a list for everything or I will forget.
    Menieres is now a full time part of my life but it does not define my life. I will still sew, play with my grand kids, watch the birds... just doing it a little more carefully these days. I thank God I am able to have good days. I thank Him on the bad.

Yes I think about it daily but it won't stop me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1