1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Autoimmune Portocol

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Megan Henry, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    So I'm curious how many think there MM, CH is autoimmune in origin? I've been going to a functional neurologist for the past few weeks and he is pretty set on the fact mine is autoimmune related based on extensive blood tests. Anyways, I won't get too deep into what he thinks is going on, unless someone wants to know. I started the autoimmune protocol diet last week and although the ear stuff and constant disequilibrium is there still (only been 4 days haha). My energy levels are through the roof and my body is not in as much pain, particularly the neck and shoulders. I will say the disequilibrium seems to be ever so slightly improving although I have good days and bad days with it. The T is still the same so far, but I expect improvement with that as well. Overall, the pattern seems to be trending to improvement. The days when it's bad, it's due to a weather front. If anyone suspects the MM or CH is autoimmune related I highly recommend trying AIP. If you seek, you shall find. Never give up!

2. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    What is the auto immune diet? I’d love details!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    You cut out a lot of foods that are documented inflammation triggers...nuts, eggs, legumes, beans, nightshades (tomatoes eggplants etc...), coffee (haven't done this one yet as it's literally my only vice and I need one), sugar, dairy, gluten. I had already cut out the sugar, gluten and dairy long before my diagnosis so I figured I was half way there. Anyways, Google Autoimmune Protocol. My favorite site for recipes so far is Autoimmunewellness.com. I was overwhelmed the first couple days, but just cut things out week by week and you'll get there. Also, you will be in the kitchen a lot. I love to cook, so I really enjoy that part!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    This is interesting. I initially thought mine was auto immune related because I have psoriasis also, but never tried any diet remedies. Ironically, steroids never helped, which they are supposed to with auto immune according to the research, but the only thing that has helped is anti virals...weird. What exactly can you eat? Diet sounds very restrictive. Thanks, Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  5. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Kevin!

Oh yeah I get that. Steroids didn't work for me either. I eat a vast variety of foods. Mostly organic meats, fresh veggies prepared various ways. I just made spaghetti squash with meatballs and beet sauce. It was really good! I would suggest it to anyone. Sure it's restrictive but bfd, I'll do whatever is needed to get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Megan, no need to go into all the details but did the blood tests identify a specific autoimmune disease? When my doctor was first trying to diagnose me, he did send me for a blood test to see if I had an autoimmune disease and it came back negative. Can you have autoimmune issues without being diagnosed with a specific autoimmune disease?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi Megan,
    So glad that you are finding answers and are getting a few steps closer to feeling better.
    Can I pls ask you the name of the function neurologist you went to? I need this! Someone to look at the big picture, not just my ear. And also, if you don’t mind sharing, which particular blood tests identified the autoimmune antibodies? And also wondering if you did allergy testing?
    thanks so much and glad you are doing well.
    mary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Mary!
    I'm going to Dr. Steven Lovich. His practice is called Delta S Perfirmance and is an absolute gem! He looks at the whole picture and listens to you! He is a functional neurologist as well as a functional medicine doctor. He is the first practitioner I have encountered that is truly up to date on the latest research and knows his shit. This guy is a genius! He has offices in both Boston and Denver. He has also been having me do vestibular rehabilitation in addition to the autoimmune protocol. I had quite extensive blood testing, but what raised a red flag was for the high amount of B-12 I consume, I am hardly absorbing any of it. We think I have a tamer version of pernicious anemia. My intrinsic factor in my in my stomach is depleted, which does not allow my to absorb any B-12. The blood labs that showed this were my mean corpuscular volume, mean corpuscular hemoglobin, and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration. So the plan is to reduce inflammation as much as possible as that is what we believe is causing my issues. Please let me know if you have more questions. I'm happy to share and help in any way.

9. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    That's kind of funny. I started an anti-inflammatory diet a few weeks ago, and I ADDED eggs and nuts to my diet - which I rarely ate in the past - based on what I read on various websites.

10. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019

11. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sorry Mary. I typed that reply from my phone. Haha! Hope you're a good translator.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    There's a lot of research that indicates that Meniere's Disease is, or can be, an autoimmune issue. Many of us with MD also have other autoimmune issues. I also have hypothyroidism, dry eye and had surgery for a frozen shoulder, which my surgeon says was likely caused by an autoimmune issue. Both my endocrinologist & otolaryngologist believe there's a link between my MD & my hypothyroidism. I also just in general have horrible allergies, so I think it's safe to say that my immune system is crap.

I'll be honest and admit that I'm sometimes skeptical of non-MD's like functional neurologists, but he might have a point about the anti-inflammation diet. My husband has Ulcerative Colitis, another autoimmune disease, and the diet was recommended to him by an MD. Giving up sodium was hard enough, though - I think cutting out sugar might put me over the edge, though!

I really do hope you find some relief with it. Keep us posted please.

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m doing a similar diet, The Wahls Protocol. I have less brain fog, and more energy already (a month). My mood and anxiety are pretty good, too. I’m hoping it will help heal my brain some more, help my balance and that it’ll decrease the pain of fibromyalgia.

A friend thought it might heal my Menieres - I was already desperate for laby or gent so I was kind of mad at the suggestion at the time. She, and another friend who’s on Wahls for diabetes, both just look so well and healthy that I figured I’d give it a try (but not for Menieres specifically).

14. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    May I ask why the skepticism? I've had more luck with functional medicine doctors as opposed to MDs. I appreciate MDs don't get me wrong, but they were unable to help me as my case is complex they say.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Mary!

I misinformed you. His name is MICHAEL Lovich, not Steven. Haha. Sorry

16. Dnrpn

Dnrpn Member

May 11, 2019
    Canada
    I have frozen shoulder right now. Been a year but is in the thawing stage thankfully. I had a couple steroid shots in it in the beginning. What surgery did you have? Did the frozen shoulder happen before or after your MD started? Thanks!