1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Amazingly disturbing 'vertigo'

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Neil Canham, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Neil Canham

Neil Canham New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Hi
    As a long time Meniere's sufferer, I've joined to report a quite surreal experience yesterday. I was driving and felt odd - pre-warning of potential attack. Then I noticed that I felt slightly dizzy and didn't fancy moving my head but more significantly the horizon was quite definitely rotated 30 degrees or so anti-clockwise, as if on a hill. It was thoroughly disturbing and remained like that until I got out of the car. Then the usual 30mg of Cenarizine, 10mg Prochlorperazine and 2 hours later I'm fine again.

Anyone else had similar? Normally I get the 'horizontal hold broken' type of eye scanning rotational vertigo. This was quite different.

2. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Nothing surprises me anymore with this shit. I am so thankful for my laby.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey.

What you've described sounds awful, Neil.

Mm, possibly. I experience a slight, manageable, & permanent degree of disequilibrium.

Disequilibrium distinguishes itself from vertigo in the sense that it's devoid of active rotation, as it more so describes the sensation of an impending fall, floating, or the false perception of one's orientation & visual cues—that the ground one stands on is set & tilted, to one direction or another, when it is in fact level or flat, for instance.

4. Neil Canham

Neil Canham New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Thanks for your comments. I've had a lot of attacks since but nothing quite as disturbing as that!

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    My most disturbing was actually vertical. I was driving on the freway when I suddenly felt like the roadway dropped out beneath the truck I was driving. Freaked me out for sure.

6. Neil Canham

Neil Canham New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Yikes. In the UK and Germany if you get attacks with no warning, you aren't allowed to drive. Fortunately I typically get warning signs so I can avoid the worst times. That sounds rough

7. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I did not consider it Vertigo at that time. This occurred several years ago before my regular verigo episodes had manifested. It lasted for seconds and was gone. I suspected it was inner ear related as I was seeing my 1st ENT at the time. I expect it might feel similar to driving in an earthquake.