1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Help For Severe Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kevinb003, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Janny

Janny New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Thanks Kevin for the article. I found it interesting and sympathetic too. On bad days like I am having today I wish with my whole heart there was a solution so therefore avoiding operations. But in some cases it appears that is the only thing. The lady in the article avoided anything or anywhere with loud sounds and I have found myself doing the same thing. At 71 my life isn't full of dance halls anymore but sometimes just being around folks with very loud speaking is too much. It is a struggle for sure, an ongoing, daily struggle. Thanks for posting it here.....Janny

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Janny, I understand what you are going through. I didn't have it as bad as the person in the article, but it was a constant life stressor and reminder of the tentacles of meniere's in my life even when not in the throes of vertigo. Bathroom fan and refrigerator sounds were constant annoyances, and I limited my TV viewing to PBS (grew to love the nature shows!) in order to avoid commercials. I agree with you about the distress of being around people with loud voices. Eventually vertigo became so disabling that I had a laby in 2018, and the hyperacusis faded away. I don't notice the refrigerator anymore, but still have a hesitation whenever I need to turn on the bathroom fan. It's not bothersome when it's on, but the past trauma it caused still gives me pause as I go to flip the switch.

I hope you find a solution that works for you. Are there any surgeries that can address hyperacusis without affecting hearing or balance?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    My hyperacusis comes and goes in my “good ear” just as the vertigo did in my dead ear pre laby. It’s horrible, that much I can say. As a musician it’s even worse because I can’t even play my guitar during these attacks combined with the pitch shifting. People just don’t understand how things can hurt. I feel so bad for my wife when the act of clearing her throat causes me to clench my neck and grab my ear...she’s like, what did I do? It’s not you...it’s this beast.