1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Another new ear...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Denise Rene, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Denise Rene

Denise Rene New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Wichita, KS
    Greetings from Kansas! I was recently diagnosed with Meniere's although I have had symptoms for years and I am here to share my story.
    I guess it started around 2010. I was working in a college office and I would get bouts of vertigo that would last all day but I somehow got through the day. I went to my doctor and he told me to drink more water. That didn't help. I started to have random twitching in my left hand so I went back to the doctor. He sent me to a neurologist to see if I had MS. I told the neurologist all about the vertigo and twitching. He asked about different symptoms and I answered the best I could. I did not have MS but he did notice my B 12 was low and I was told to take it daily.
    I continued with these symptoms and started experiencing tinnitus randomly. Still nothing solid from the doctor. It wasn't until mid July 2018 that I started feeling the most horrible pressure in my right ear. The next morning I woke up with no hearing in my right ear. I decided to go to the ENT because I knew going to my doctor would be a waste of time. My hearing loss was confirmed and I was told to keep a journal and let him know if anything changes. Within a month my hearing returned and the ENT confirmed Meniere's.
    I have been avoiding salt and caffeine and I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I do have dizzy spells that last for days and I will not drive at these times. This impairs my ability to work as most of you would know.
    I am trying to take it a day at a time. I am trying to be upbeat but I just can't. I feel defeated most days and I am trying to find some kind of work at home job that isn't a scam.
    What do all of you do? How do you get by?

One more Meniere's survivor.

2. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    One day at a time Rene!

Welcome to the funnest place on the internet. You have lotsa reading to do. For starts, get on a healthy diet, vitamins, supplements like lysine, magnesium, and others you will read about on this site. Also spend the $9 and read about Migraine associated vertigo (MAV) from Buchholz "Heal your headache". It's available for Kindle. Like I said, you have much reading to do.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    It's different for everyone, but my dizzy / nausea seems to be caused by gluten. I was eating Mini Wheats in order to avoid sodium and wound up on the floor. I stopped eating them (and most gluten) and I haven't had a dizzy spell since. The JOH document even mentions to avoid gluten - but I apparently missed it. If you haven't read the JOH document, everyone on this site will say that it's well worth your time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Minerva

Minerva New Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Have no fear - you can beat this! In September 2018, I completely lost my hearing in my right ear. It was devastating. It is a long story, but suffice it to say I used a combination of Joe's regime from his blog (Joe and Meniere's Disease), hydrogen peroxide and some other targeted supplements. I had my hearing back within a week. Since then, I have continued with an Orthomolecular approach (a lot of vitamins, minerals & amino acids) and Hydrogen peroxide (used conservatively). It takes dedicated effort, but it really works!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    Hydrogen peroxide? Tell me more.

6. Fatboy

Fatboy New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Georgia

7. Fatboy

Fatboy New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Georgia
    Just take it day by day. My motto is: Enjoy the good days, and suffer the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

More details about the hydrogen peroxide, please.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mama2my6

Mama2my6 New Member

Jan 27, 2020

10. Mama2my6

Mama2my6 New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    May I ask- do you put the hydrogen peroxide in your ear?

11. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    Well, It appears we're not going to find out about H2O2. (Hydrogen peroxide). Lol. As near as I can tell it must be in the ear, I can't find anything where it's safe to take it orally.

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It would depend on the dilution. Whether consumed orally or absorbed transdermally, H2O2 concentrate would be disastrous. If I remember correctly, the last time I read about a H2O2 concentration greater than 80-90%, I was reading about H2O2 as a potential application in rocket fuel *is laughing

I'm not a chemist, though I would assume consuming anything over 1% would be considered harmful.

When extremely diluted, however (I'm talking under 0.1 - 0.2%), you will begin to find H2O2 in oral applications such as toothpaste & mouth rinse.

I doubt Minerva's regarding a solution greater than ≈ 0.5%. I think household grade bleach is around 3%, for instance, & I have no desire to place even a drop of bleach in either my ear or my mouth, that's for certain. Never mind H2O2 concentrate.

13. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

I seem to remember reading somewhere that H2O2 can be placed in the ear to loosen and wash out excessive ear wax but I can't see how it could possibly affect Meniere's one way or the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Denise Rene

Denise Rene New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Wichita, KS

15. Denise Rene

Denise Rene New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Wichita, KS
    Same here. I have read so much and I see so many conflicting reports. What works for one does not work for another. I am on day 4 of my dizzy convention and I am looking for ways to somehow work from home. I don't feel safe driving most days, I can't focus much... On my good days I would like to be able to do something for my household finances. Any suggestions?

16. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Don't know about the H2O2 but the Joe and Menieres Disease blog is an interesting read. Seems he has classic Menieres and has kept it under control through much trial and error to discover specifics about what is causing his case, which seems to be fungal.

From his blog, "My maintenance regimen includes daily doses of probiotics, garlic, lemon bioflavanoids, vinpocetine, vitamin E, B12 and pycnogenol (proven to increase circulation to inner ear). I will not hesitate to hit the prescription anti-fungals again if symptoms return, though I haven’t had to in almost 3 years. I have noticed that after taking anti-biotics, my symptoms increase, showing a very clear connection to a fungal infection. Anti-biotics deplete your intestine of candida fighting bacteria."