1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anti-Fungals

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by srmophett, Mar 2, 2018.

1. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    I want to learn all I can about anti-fungals as far as MM is concerned, I thought I remembered running across the subject here or on another forum but cannot seem to locate it now.

I have been planning out my attack on MM for the past three or four weeks as I have spent the last two years searching for answers from doctors to mostly no avail other than the Shea Ear Clinic.

I wanted to start my attack first with an anti-fungal for a few weeks then switch or add an anti-viral and start working John of Ohio regimen into my treatments. I realize the MM may come from a single cause or may be a multi-front attack from several factors so I hope by working things into my treatment one by one that I can possible save my hearing, job, and sanity before it is too late.

Looks like Nystatin at 100,000 units?, three times a day may be the safest anti fungal to use, is that the common dosage? Looks like you can get it in different forms and I guess what is best for you just depends on lifestyle and so on. Any suggestions on method of delivery? I travel daily so convenience is a factor.

I of course have many other questions and hope I am not being redundant in some of the questions I ask, I just like to try and get latest opinions and information that is available.

Thanks

2. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio
    PAPAJOE posted his story on these forums relating to fungal infections that may be useful for you, I think it had some links and various information that you may find useful.

http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=2830.msg71179#msg71179

I personally have no input at all on the subject, but I wish you luck.

3. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Thanks RWJ!

It's likely that MM is due to more than one kind of infection. Even though I have had past viral infections, anti-viral meds did not help my MM symptoms. But anti-virals do help a lot of people on here.

What did help me was anti-fungal medications (I had leaky gut which led to MAV - Migraine Associated Vertigo). It took me about a year to cure the leaky gut.

The final thing for me was to find and eliminate my stealth dental infections.

So, anti-viral and anti-fungal meds might be your best first bet.

Going to a low carb diet might help as well.

Good luck!

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Canadians and Americans can you get oral nystatin over the counter? Or do I need a prescription?

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    A prescription is needed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Picking up the anti-fungal thread, I have a script med called Fungustatin (150mg Fluconazole 1 x daily) that I demanded from my much harassed ENT. After my first attack I did the anti viral prescription course, then continued with supplement anti-virals (JOH with Pycnogenol and magnesium added) and then ran a course (10 days) of this anti-fungal. Went on a candida diet and when med course was completed I added an excellent probiotic and caprylic acid post meds. All fine for months, then had a small flare up with a filling ear and a night time short episode of vertigo in bed, so I got back on the Fungustatin again and it has eliminated it in 3 days. Ear is clear and wobbles are gone. Worth a try!

7. djrugg

djrugg Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Hi Jacqui,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Fluconazole. My ENT recently prescribed 100mg for 14 days. After 5 days my ear cleared up, but by the end of the day it clogged up again, but only slightly. For the remainder of the 14 day course and for about a week after, my ear was better during the day and a little worse starting in late afternoon. One week after stopping the Fluconazole I had several bad days where my ear was very clogged up. It’s been almost three weeks since finishing the Fluconazole and things are getting a little better. My ENT did not want to prescribe more because he felt it didn’t really work. I was wondering if you experienced any fluctuations while taking the Fluconazole or did it just clear things up after a couple of days? Some quick background - my left ear has been clogged up for six months. I have tinnitus in that ear and some hearing loss, but no vertigo.

I hope you’re doing well.

Thanks

8. Heather McDougal

Heather McDougal New Member

Jan 23, 2020
    A warning about antifungals: check with your doctor if you or anyone in your family has psoriasis, as certain oral antifungals can cause a full-body pustular psoriasis outbreak. I learned this after my daughter went to the hospital for four days with a rash so bad that she gained 15 lbs due to swelling. The dermatologist said that it was in response to the drug.

You do not want this! She is now on a special injection that costs $5k a dose, probably for the rest of her life.

Just a heads-up.

9. djrugg

djrugg Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Thanks!

10. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    My Dr. was hesitant to write my a scrip for Fluconazole. Said it was hard on the liver. Is that accurate?

11. djrugg

djrugg Member

Aug 26, 2019
    It depends on the person. But, liver damage is one of the biggest risks.