1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anybody else worried....went to the grocery store tonight

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bulldogs, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    99% of the population here in the USA are calm, cool and collected. We live our lives with masks on, if we choose to, pretty much go where we please just have to stay separated. I personally don’t wear one. The news media is only reporting on the isolated incidents of people, for lack of a better term “rioting” and I use that term loosely. We here in the US have to many news media stations who when they run out of fictional news stories start making news up. Yes, believe it or not, they lie. We are bombarded with news 24 hours a day 7 days a week by 10 or 15 different news outlets. The news is giving the rest of the world that we here in the US are out of control when we’re not. The changes of contacting the virus and dying from here is the last I saw was .06%. Which is dropping daily with more testing available. The USA is still alive and well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Rich, I'm seeing your post as political, which isn't allowed here.

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good stuff/feedback

I often wonder if living in all these densely populated melting pot big cities is worth it on many different levels.

I oftn think about how life for me would have turned out if I had gone to place like Montana, Wyoming, Ect......gotten 200 acres and lived a simpler life.... ran a fly fishing guide service or hunting ranch ect.....

I don’t think I would have ended up with Ménière’s and in the long run I think my boys would be better off...... I chased the $$ and ran the rat race for 30 years and in the end I did well but at what cost.

maybe the one thing I often think about is if all this globalization and high finance (which I was in) is really the way to and is it necessary.

At 50 maybe I am having a midlife crisis.... lucky to be retired but often think is this it?
    I need something more or maybe this pandemic is really taking its toll on me mentally. It just seems everyday is getting harder to get through because I need somewhere to go and a challenge to conquer.

Maybe the cure really is worse than the problem?

I almost want to go back to work for something to do..... but this dam Pandemic or maybe I’m just bored because my life has basically stopped.

be good
    God bless
    BD

4. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    I may have got on my soap box a little bit. Lol. The point I was trying to make is Menieres is triggered by stress and if we watch the news 8 or 10 hours a day all your doing is adding stress to an already stress related condition, not healthy. They need to come up with a “Happy News” station. All the news reporting we have now is all negative and not good our Menierian stressors.

5. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    I hear you, in the same boat here, Menieres has limited us in what we do. But we may not be able to do all we want to do but we can still do the stuff we can do.

6. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Is there any evidence that the initial onset of Meniere's is triggered by stress? I've always wondered about that but have never heard anything about it.

7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I dont know, but my first vertigo was after a 2 months of very hard stress by my final law tests. And my tunnitus decrease when I relax or I have a good sleep (and viceversa).

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Creative!

I think happy "news" stations come in the form of cat & dog playlists on youtube.

For instance:

Jenny - Now to Daily Updates with Nathan.

Nathan - I'm here reporting live from a country which has not been bombed. This is Nathan, for Daily Updates.

From a news perspective, the above is somewhat forgettable, oui?

How likely would you, or how likely would the average person be to remember the happy non-stressful segment if it were placed post or prior to a stressful segment? Which of the two would be more likely to be incorporated into one's would-view?

To understand two of the mechanisms which render our minds this way, see the availability heuristic & negativity bias.

Added to this equation, bad things often occur quickly, however good things aren't built in a day. Hence as good things unfold, they find themselves out of sync with daily news cycles.

You may enjoy The Better Angels of our Nature, & Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker, if not to better understand our global & psychological circumstances, then to decrease your stress levels in an attempt to manage your symptoms.

Despite the anxiety often experience after having watched the news, these two books demonstrate how human wellbeing has improved over the past millennia in almost all measures, from health, prosperity, safety, peace, & happiness.

(Please excuse any possible typos that my tired eyes are unable to recognise, I haven't slept)

9. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Consider the butterfly effect, in reference to, for instance, having crossed paths with the lives you hold dear.

10. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *Experienced*

I knew there would one, if not many lurking in there somewhere.

11. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Here you go...:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    388F3054-B923-4857-87F2-D3AB08DF7ED2.jpeg Here’s some good news....it was in the low 80’s today on Lake Keowee today and my 6th grade son finally got to do what he likes doing most in life...wakeboarding

13. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    Sorry you see it as political, I didn’t see it as such. The poster had the impression from the media that the individual states here are battling one and other and that is by no means what’s happening, which isn’t political. Now if I would have said, for example, that Republicans are right and and Democrats are wrong THAT would have been political..

The moderator can delete this post if he wishes

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Well, Rich, when you start talking about fake news and the media, that speaks for itself. You don't have to say the Republicans are right and Democrats are wrong. I've said all I'm going to say on the subject. I still think your post was at least leaning towards being political. If someone wants to complain to Ray, he'll delete our posts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    I did not take it as political.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    I believe he was merely stating what he believes to be true...not political.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    I’m guessing IvanA’s news sources aren’t American ones. I’m in Canada and we are seeing the same reports of protests against the restrictions. The videos in Michigan with the dudes in the camo with their long guns looking all macho aren’t fake. The folks in CA getting up in the police faces sans masks spewing their droplets aren’t fake. The video doesn’t lie.

It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in cases and deaths in the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Oh well.....this could really go down hill so I will leave this thread.

Dixie,
    Those are all very good points and different countries have different laws, constitutions, traditions ect..... I agree with all you say. I see both sides and don’t support either one. I just pray this does not speak, I am on the side of Life. It is an interesting subject.

Alcoholism, domestic abuse, child abuse, drug abuse, suicides all rising and people who need surgeries (knee, hip, dental, Ears, psychiatric help ect...cannot get them .because of the crisis..... it’s a double edged sword.

I think the issue in USA should not be a political one and God knows this virus is not political.

I think level headed people in USA in both parties can see both sides of the issue. It’s just not Democracrs or Republicans protesting.

If you have bills, mortgage, car, utilities, food for kid are not ALL JOBS ESSENTIAL. We should not pick winners and losers about who can open and who has to close ect....

Also when it comes to protest I would venture to say both parties agree those are our civil rights and liberties, they cannot be taken away even during a pandemic..... a pandemic does not suspend the constitution and people rights and certainly a Governor cannot take away those rights.

personally I feel everyone should wear a mask when they go out especially if they are going into a crowd....not to protect themselves but to protect the vulnerable. To me that is human decency but I cannot make them and neither can a governor.....it’s like the governor telling people they cannot buy cigarettes, cigars, sodas or alcohol.

I think the issue is where does the governor or governments rights stop and where do the citizens begin.

I just hope and pray everyday this goes away and a cure is found.....I am scared and I take every precaution to keep me and my family safe by social distancing, wearing masks, staying home, ordering groceries for no contact pickup or delivery. sanitizing the house twice a day ect....

I could care less what the news says....they have an agenda like everyone else it just depends on where you choose to get your news.

me...my agenda is to stay safe and healthy and I pray that is all our agenda.

god bless
    I’m off this thread

• Like Like x 1
  19. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Oh please. Your whole post is political and should be removed by the moderator, I’m not sure what the delay is. Unfortunately, this pandemic , like all things in this day and age has become and will remain political. But there’s only one political side that dismays science. In the past and currently.
    And when you see fault in your side, you bask in false equivalency, trying to make both sides equal, which they are not. “There were fine people on both sides.” Remember that false equivalency? Have some courage and call out the BS when you see it, that’s how things change. But expecting courage from someone who makes a political post and then “signs off” to get the last word is probably asking too much.
    Hopefully this thread will not remain and people can get back to meniere’s discussions and information to help their current malady.

20. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Daniel
    I Got better things to do today!!

E669CB7C-3AE9-4180-9B69-881B3BA42806.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1