1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Best doctors for Ménière's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Countrygirl, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Need help with finding a new doctor for treating Ménière's disease. Have tried many doctors in Indiana where I life. After many years and shunt surgery. Things are worse. New ENT says I may need a labyrinthecromy or on of the other surgeries. He recommends university of Iowa?

2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Can anyone help me?

3. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020

4. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I would listen to your new Dr.
    A laby will give you your life back..

I recommend just what your doctor told you...go to a top notch teaching university where they have the latest studies and literature on menieres and if you opt for the laby (which I recommend) to get your life back they probably have the best surgeons who perform many many laby’s .

I find the doctors at the top teaching hospitals “get it” when it comes to Ménière’s because they have probably seen the worst of the worst cases.

if you are looking nationally and are willing to travel..My first stop would be Dr. Rauch at MEEI. / Harvard. He will tel it to you straight, it may not be what you want to hear but it is what you need to hear...straight shooter/no BS but one of the best surgeons in the world.

PS: I love my laby, it gave me back my life,

good luck, god Bless

joe/Bulldogs

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    A year ago I was in the same position, instant vertigo episodes, drop attack and lost my drivers license all 10 months after a endolymphatic sac decompression surgery. Did the laby surgery last August and enjoying life again.
    This photo was taken yesterday. upload_2020-6-22_17-56-55.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I would like to add to my post above that I also got a second opinion from MEEI and their findings were the same, labyrinthectomy. Ended up having it done local, no regrets.
    Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  7. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    The hardest part is deciding to face the fact you are at the point where you need to have the labyrinthectomy. I agree with everyone else. Have the labyrinthectomy. I say this even though it wasn't as quick/great a fix for me due to healing complications. I had mine just to stop unrelenting drop attacks. For that, it WAS an instant fix.
    I started vestibular rehabilitation(before pandemic) and it helps! Other members have noted in other threads that you need to move, move, move and then move some more right after surgery. ABSOLUTE TRUTH! Plus, you have to keep it up, as if you are in a constant state of recovering from surgery. Think: Use it, or lose it. I wish I were like Joe,(Proof people do have amazing results: He ran a marathon!)but we each have different experiences and recoveries afterwards. I continue to work on what vestibular exercises I can do on my own...and I keep moving.

Tip for finding new doctor: Ask how many labyrinthectomies they perform per year. What are their statistics on successful outcomes, and how do they define success? What are common complications? Will a student be performing the procedure?

If you go to a University for an evaluation, they will have this data, and they should be comfortable and patient with your questions. If not, I wouldn't go near the place again.

Good luck! :)

8. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I was diagnosed at U of Iowa. My husband was on staff there. The Oto Dept at the time (maybe still?) was #2 in the country. I didn’t have by labyrinthectomy until 7 years later after moving. I’d definitely trust yourself in the hands of that dept.

9. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Update:
    Appointment tomorrow morning 7am with audiologist and Dr. Marlan Hansen at University of Iowa. At hotel after the 5 hour drive.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I had my VNS done at the University of Iowa Hospital by Dr. Bruce Gantz. I think you'll be pleased by the care you receive there. Good luck!

11. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    . Good luck!!

12. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck CountryGirl - thanks for posting

13. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    He's a good guy; my husband trained w him. You are in good hands. Good luck!