1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Just give me a figure. Chances of Antivirals working.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pupper, Jan 5, 2018.

1. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    In NC valacyclovir is $480 for a 30 day supply of max dose. Sorry man. I find this personally I little mauling, since Acyclovir has been on the market since 1995 and there are multiple manufacturers. Know anyone in Canada?

2. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    *insulting*. Although mauling I think works equally well.

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's unspeakably cruel. What kind of a world is this? Yes, I get certain drugs from Canada. Thanks for reminding me.

You can't be mauled a little.

4. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    He suffered a mild mauling.
    He's been diagnosed with the mauling.
    You should get your mauling looked at.

5. Irish lady

Irish lady New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I had a tough case of menieres diagnosed 8 years ago; violent vertigo attacks lasting hours, days of constant dizziness, loss of balance, constant roaring tinnitus and clinically deaf in one ear. I tried serc, stemitil, steroids, diuretics, low salt diet, nothing helped, just got worse over the course of 6 months until I had to take leave from my job, go on disability payments and move back in with my parents. I eventually got my hands on some Famvir antivirals and took a dose of 750mg daily. After one month I could see a definite improvement. After three months I had my life back, no vertigo, no dizziness, reduced tinnitus and slightly improved hearing. For me, antivirals gave me my life back and I feel incredibly lucky. I hope they work for you too.

6. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Amen to that. I hear you....

7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thank you. I love reading things like this about AVs. Gives me hope. Can't tell you how much reading a simple post like this helps me emotionally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Irish lady

Irish lady New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    @ Pupper, you are so very welcome. I know how your are feeling right now. I was in your shoes a few years ago, diagnosed at just 26 and felt so desperate. It was through reading similar posts of success stories on this very forum that lead me to antivirals and at last gave me some hope. They do not work for everyone of course but my advice is to keep a daily diary from day one of starting them. It would have been difficult to see a definite improvement in on my case in the first month if i had not logged everything as it can be a slow process so don't give up. Also to note that my dose was quite low in comparison to what others here have started on so maybe a higher dose might show improvement quicker for you. I wish you all the best and hoping for you that your nightmare ends soon!

9. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Have you tried anti-fungal meds (either along with or without the anti-virals)? MM may be multifactorial and you may have more than one kind of infection going on.

10. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi. Are you still seeing the improvements you spoke about here two years ago? Are you still on the any virals and i was wondering what ENT you saw as i am also located in Ireland. Thanks.

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Does it work better than zinc, vitamin D & C alone?

12. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Thirty one new patients with a diagnosis of MD were treated with antiviral drugs during 2012. Acyclovir or valacyclovir was used depending on insurance coverage and cost.

Results: Hearing was improved in twelve and not improved in nineteen patients. Complete control of vertigo was achieved in those patients with improved hearing.

So according to this Richard R Gacek publication, success rate is only about 39%

Recovery of Hearing in Meniere's Disease after Antiviral Treatment - PubMed

13. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    From reading the report it appears that the individuals with the worst hearing in the group were the ones it didnt help much? Im not a docotr and not qualified to interpret these reports, but maybe if anti virals are not taken early enough it doesnt help?

14. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    my dr told me she had had people with longstanding loss regain hearing with antivirals but that was the exception not the rule. Also more likely to regain loss in lower registers than higher ones.

15. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi June. I know before you mentioned you also had alergy shots. Were those shots steroid shots do you know? or something different?
    Thanks.

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Thought i answered this but it went away. No they were allergy shots to build up immunity to things that the patient tests positive for. Typical allergy shots like any allergist would give. Not new, just given in this case to take a load off thr immune system which also is involved in menieres.