1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Any alternative to coffee?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by IvanA, Sep 3, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello, in February my triad of symptoms was completed with the dreaded attack of vertigo. I have since stopped caffeine as recommended.

The problem is that in October I will start, if this illness allows me, a Master's degree and as a student I have always needed a good cup of coffee to wake up or endure the fatigue while studying. I'm trying to find an alternative to coffee that will wake me up a bit or give me energy to study when sleep strikes. Does anyone know anything?

Before someone says anything, I have already tried exercising before studying and honestly when I finish running my 20-30 minutes what I most want is a shower and relax. I think my body secretes hormones the reverse of normal humans.

2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    On a typical day, what do you eat before you exercise, & at what time do you exercise?

I'm exactly 63.46% sure that there are caffeine free pre-workout (stimulating) formulas available.

3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hi Nathan, now in summer I usually go for a run between 8-9pm, the reason is that before it was very hot because of the sun and I prefer to wait for the shade of the trees. Nor do I want to go for a run when I am alone at home because if I get dizzy making a call, they come looking for me (I run less than 5 minutes from my house) and until September 20 my mother works until 8pm. I'm trying right now to change my hours to get up early and play sports before lunchtime, the problem is that in the morning if it's not cloudy, the area where I run has absolutely no shade and it's hell in summer. Curiously, in winter it will be a refrigerator because it is a little high hillside.

About what I eat, the truth is that my meals vary a lot, today I ate clams in their sauce, yesterday pocho breasts with scrambled vegetables, etc. Many times I go for a run without eating because I prefer to shower and wait for dinner.

Before you answer, in Spain we have different hours, here it is normal to eat at 2-3pm and dinner at 10-11pm. I normally studied at night until 4-6am so running at 8-9pm should work to get me active, but as I said above I am already modifying my schedules to bring them a little closer to the British style. Today I went to bed at 1:30 am and fell asleep around 3am to get up at 10am although at 4pm I was dying of sleep so I had a little coffee and felt a little dizzy, that's why I look for alternatives because now I'm on vacation, but I need to adapt my body to face the Master with this disease.

4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Tiene la opción de hacer ejercicio en interiores.

Considere hacer ejercicio con Pamela Reif, por ejemplo.

Y para desayunar?

5. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    With my new, more human and less vampire schedule, I've been eating breakfast at 10:30 am for two days, I don't think I'll get up much earlier since I don't need it as if it were a job. I have found that I study much better if I do not force myself out of bed and do it by waking up without alarms. Today I slept from 3am to 9:30 am, I have some sleep because my body is still not getting used to these time changes. But today I will not drink coffee that yesterday I noticed that it made me some mild dizziness.

6. kalla karikalan

kalla karikalan New Member

Sep 7, 2020
    India
    Here are some of the coffee alternatives that will help you stay wide awake and energized.

1. water
    2. Dark chocolate
    3. Apple Cider Vinegar
    4. Matcha
    5. Wheatgrass
    6. Apple juice
    7. Green tea

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Green Tea and dark chocolate can be meniere's triggers. I drink a lot of water yet so I tried the other options. Thank you very much!

8. Paps

Paps New Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Hi although should be smaller quantities of caffeine but some of the above still contain caffeine eg green tea, dark choclate,matcha. Does anyone know if these smaller quantities have less effect on tinnutis. Thanks

9. Paps

Paps New Member

Apr 3, 2021
    Hi although should be smaller quantities of caffeine but some of the above still contain caffeine eg green tea, dark choclate,matcha. Does anyone know if these smaller quantities have less effect on tinnutis. Thanks

10. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I'm not sure if this will help for feeling awake when you first wake up, but it is a good idea to limit carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) at breakfast and instead eat more fats and proteins (meat, dairy, nuts, beans). This gives your brain the nutrition it needs to be awake all day long.

A splash of apple cider vinegar in cold or hot water can also be invigorating, and is very good for your stomach :)

11. bonnielee

bonnielee New Member

Apr 29, 2021
    Water and apple juice sound the best unless the sugar in the juice is a trigger.

12. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I switched to half caff coffee for a while and then fully caffeine free once I got used to the half caff. I’m now drinking Maud’s Tall Dark and Handsome. My body adjusted to it and now I don’t miss the caffeine. For evenings I drink English Breakfast Tea decaf.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PaulaC

PaulaC New Member

May 15, 2021
    Where can I get Mauds Tall Dark and Handsome? Love the name!

14. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I get it from Amazon.

15. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Hello and thanks to everyone who answered this message. This is my new account since the one I used in this thread had been created with facebook and now it is no longer compatible with the web to login. I have improved a lot in recent months, although I have had vertigo twice this month, but I am getting used to the feeling that everything is spinning.

16. Hickspanic

Hickspanic Member

Jan 31, 2022
    I drink about a liter of green tea a day. Helps keep me hydrated, no sugar and less caffeine than soda, coffee or black tea. Chia Tea....forget about it, made me sick and dizzy.

17. DL Bach

DL Bach Member

May 18, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If you are looking for taste, a friend in Italy suggested Pero. It's instant, but satisfying to a coffee lover like me. Caffeine doesn't affect me as it does others, however, being sedentary it can keep me awake so I try to avoid caffeine later in the day and will enjoy Pero.
    For a morning pick-me-up, try a South American tradition, yerba. I order mine from GoYerbaMate..... GOYERBAMATE- Home It is not caffeine, but oft described as caffeine-like, but without the jitters. Try it and see if it triggers your Meniere's.