1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What have you learned today?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Aug 26, 2015.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    That getting a dental CBTC is very fast (30 seconds), but burning it to DVD takes forever. Haha

2. Just how hard simple things can be

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Various symbols of the Japanese hiragana alphabet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It is interesting how learning very basic & simple things can have a disproportionate impact on your level of self-worth.

I just learnt, & subsequently applied—very successfully—how to properly sew a button. It doesn't seem like much, however I now feel like I should probably start wearing a cape, both in public & around the house.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Is this a Mary Poppins reference? Sometimes, Nathan, I have a hard time getting your very unique sense of humor. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    In an attempt to reverse engineer your question, I spent fifteen surprisingly enjoyable minutes revisiting my memories of, & google searching all threads potentially stitching my comment to Marry Poppins, from capes & capelets to buttons.

It then dawned on me. If it has to do with enjoying the simple things in life, or how the simple things in life done well can bring us the greatest joy, then I suppose it is, & I did reference Mary Poppins, albeit unintentionally.

Ms. Poppins & I are kindred spirits, I'm happy to report.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Last night I learnt the Heaven's Gate cult leader, Marshall Applewhite, also known as "Do", managed to purchase alien abduction insurance for many of his Heaven's Gate members.

Side note, & if you're wondering, the name "Do" isn't pronounced "do", as in the verb, but rather "doe", as in the noun, or the exclamation "doh!". I found this interesting, considering the latter was popularised by the fictional character Homer Simpson when he made catastrophic errors.

Having read about alien abduction insurance I subsequently spent perhaps too much time on the internet attempting to verify whether alien abduction insurance exists. Sure enough it does. Some insurance companies actually offer alien abduction insurance.

This is possibly the most effective insurance scam I've ever come across. At minimum, a fairly safe bet on the part of the insurance company. I can't imagine anything less than 100% profit.

This case particularly, granting the beliefs of Heaven's Gate. Even if an alien abduction occurred, paying a claim, or receiving a claim would be the least of anyones concerns, because the abduction type in question falls under the permanently abducted from planet earth category.

It really is analogous to exploding earth insurance. Who's left to collect the claim? No one, that's who. Zero people.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The death of Dawn Wells

10. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Ohio State kicked Clemson's ass!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blaming anyone or anything besides the person in the mirror relieves you of your duty to do better.

12. I think the E’fff not was a video

13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    It’s never too late

14. I’m out of Bona

15. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    that I suck at golf

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I'm willing to bet $100US that your degree of golf suck is significantly less than my degree of golf suck.

The degree of my golf suck is tremendous.

Nobody, nobody has better golf suck than I do.

17. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Nathan you are always present when I need you! Thanks for the laugh. And wouldn’t it be great to have a round of golf together to actually see who has the better degree of golf suck:)

18. Should have bought new lights

19. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I don’t mind being alone for Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I would have stowed myself into a compartment on the James Webb Space Telescope, had the opportunity arose.

Just float in the Earth-Sun Lagrangian point L2, two & a half million kilometers away.

No hassles.

Yeah, employ it's giant gold mirror as a vintage tanning reflector. It's a permanent holiday.