1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Position of Neck Affects Tinnitus/HL?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BentoBoxer, Oct 4, 2020.

1. BentoBoxer

BentoBoxer New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Hi all,

Months long lurker, first time poster! I have been dealing with what my ENT thinks is either SSNHL or (more likely, in his opinion) Cochlear MM since July 2020. I have moderate to severe HL in some of my low frequencies in the my left ear with lots of sound distortion and sensitivity, with only slight balance issues, but the worst part right now is the fluctuating tinnitus in that ear. The tinnitus is making is almost impossible to function at home and work because I can't hear over it much of the time, and am distracted by it the rest.

I'm writing because the past two or three nights, I've been woken up by a screaming, 10/10 tinnitus in that ear. Last night however, I learned that if I sort of hang my neck/head at a certain angle, the tinnitus all but disappears. It hadn't really crossed my mind that my neck could have anything to do with HL or MM, but I was able to reproduce the results just a few minutes ago - using a pillow to rest my head seems to greatly reduce the tinnitus sensation to light hiss.

Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? Is is a path worth investigating? My ENT is sort of old school, and in any event isn't particularly interested in my tinnitus, so I'm not sure how seriously he would take this observation.

Any advice would be helpful!

2. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi. Some people on this forum have gotten relief by seeing a chiropractor and getting upper cervical adjustments. Might be worth checking out seeing your situation.

3. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I would go see a NUCCA chiropractor to check neck alignment.

4. BentoBoxer

BentoBoxer New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Thank you!

5. BentoBoxer

BentoBoxer New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    One last question, and maybe not a realistic one: for those who have been through this, how long does this nightmare phase usually last before one can start living something like a normal life? As in, could it be that in six months or so I'll might be able to function at work at and at home? I'm genuinely terrified that I won't be have much of a life going forward.

6. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I had the same fear with the tinnitus. There were times that I hoped that I had an underlining condition that would kill me. I don't know if I'm just used to the tinnitus, or if it's gotten slightly better (I'd say the former) but I don't have those thoughts anymore. I'd say that it took three months to get to this point.

7. BentoBoxer

BentoBoxer New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Thank you so much for sharing that, I really needed to hear that

8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I noticed that my tinnitus and ear pressure subside when I am laying for several minutes. I don't know whether it is connected to my neck, I guess it could be connected to the changes in blood circulation, because, when I am doing sport, its opposite, my tinnitus is going up. I also noticed, when my ear pressure in the morning is up, the coffee helps. Caffeine also affects blood circulation by narrowing blood vessels. Coffee also helps those who have migraine and there are connections between MD and migraine.

9. BentoBoxer

BentoBoxer New Member

Oct 3, 2020
    I feel strongly that blood pressure and blood vessels play a huge role in my tinnitus and other symptoms. Caffeine overall seems to help, unless I overdo it.