1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vertigo and Ear Fullness. No hearing loss or tinnitus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Ahmad Sadek, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Ahmad Sadek

Ahmad Sadek New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hi guys.

During the past 6 months, I had tens of vertigo attacks which are either mild or severe (I had 6 severe attacks in 6 months, 4 of which happened in the 1st month alone). When assessment, my Dr used Electrocochleography to detect extra endolymphatic hydrops in my left ear. He concluded that i was having Meniere's Disease, the secondary one( As per my Dr, it is secondary because it did not reach my cochlea"yet"). While i am reading many posts here, even for those who had the secondary meniere's disease, i noticed that almost all of them had either tinnitus or hearing loss as persistent symptoms. My question is the following and i would really appreciate a reply: Did you have MD without tinnitus and hearing loss like mine? Do you know someone who had? I live in Dubai and this forum made my day. I maybe the only one in the city who has meniere's disease since as we all know it is rare.

Moreover, does your ear feel full during the vertigo episode (spinning). In my case, ear fullness only happen after the episode.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

2. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I had vertigo for about 8 years before my menieres was diagnosed, but had only about 2 episodes per year. No one had a clue including me what was coming. My primary care doctor would tell me "the next time it happens during office hours just come in right away" but of course it never happened during office hours. During that 8 years sometimes I would go almost 6-8 months without an episode. During that time no tinnitus or fullness.
    Then 2 1/2 years ago I woke up one morning and had a WTF moment. From that day the fullness and tinnitus came on and off (mostly on) , and finally this January (2020) the tinnitus and fullness came to stay 24/7. Also in January 2020 the vertigo became more frequent and lasted longer. I had one episode that lasted about 36 hours. I wasn't diagnosed until June of this year - but that was my fault for not getting in to see an ENT sooner. So far since going on drugs no vertigo but I could jump off a bridge any day from the noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JAB

JAB New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    I’m still waiting for a full diagnosis and I’ve suffered with BPPV from May until September this year. But, my life changed in August 1 with the vertigo, the ear fullness and the tinnitus in both ears. To this day, the ringing has not stopped at all. The fullness in my ears presents itself daily but not 24/7. I am noticing more hours of the day with the ear fullness than without. No idea what is going on and the ringing is wearing me down. Hang in there, we are all here for you.

4. Ahmad Sadek

Ahmad Sadek New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Thanks Yellowboy and JAB for your replies. Yellowboy what drugs are you using to treat vertigo? for me i have motion sickness and every time the vertigo comes it blocks all my duties for 24 hours at least. I am cooping with it now because of Covid-19 and staying at home but when life comes back to normal i must find a way to stop this vertigo completely!
    Jab thanks for being here for me

5. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I am taking Betahistine (16mg 3 X day) and Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg 1 X a day. The Betahistine is not covered by our Medicare drug program here so it costs me $ 55.00 a month

6. Ahmad Sadek

Ahmad Sadek New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I am taking exactly the same like you since 11 days. however it did not block me from having a vertigo episode 3 days ago. Does it take time to be effective?

7. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I'm not sure. My doctor only prescribed the Hydrochlorothiazide to start. I had an episode of vertigo about 6 days after starting it and then he added in the Beta and I haven't had any episodes since. To be honest I'm not sure why he didn't start with both but I'm asking him that tomorrow when I see him.

Also he gave me Meclizine 25 mg to take ONLY when I have an episode, only took it the one time, did help a little.

8. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    What is that?

9. Ahmad Sadek

Ahmad Sadek New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This confirms if i have endolymphatic hydrops above the levels!