1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Covid/Vaccine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bulldogs, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hello Mary
    I am a MD sufferer but not anymore....10 years ago I had a labyrinthectomy and slayed the beast forever.....I consider myself as normal as any other 51 (Birthday February 3rd) year old man except I am deaf in my right ear.

Besides a little fatigue and a slight fever after my second shot that lasted for about 12 hours (slept it off) took one extra strength Tylenol....I had zero issues and by reading the responses from those with MD on this thread they have not had any issues either. A huge relief knowing I am vaccinated from Covid.

I think I speak for many on this forum when I say the vaccine will give you peace of mind.

God Bless
    Joe/BD

2. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    OH!! this is so gratifying to learn you are most happy with your decision to slay the beast! After much research, thought and prayer, at 72, I have decided to go with the labyrinthectomy. My qualtiy of life is so limited...I need to make the most of what remaining time I have. Thank you for your post.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    All the best to you, SurferGirl. I hope the labyrinthectomy will be the answer to all your prayers.

4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Best of luck. I am pretty sure this will be a decision you will never regret! I had a laby 9 years ago and live a very active life. Prayers that you will too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leslie F.

Leslie F. New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Prosperity, PA
    I'm hesitating about getting the COVID vaccine because of my experience with the Shingrix shot I got two years ago. I had a severe local reaction to the first shot, with a golf ball sized lump on my arm for days, then two weeks after that first injection, the vertigo began. I had been vertigo-free for a year and a half, living the good life, traveling the world, with no dizziness or other MD symptoms other than tinnitus and hearing loss. During the six months following the Shingrix shot, I suffered with debilitating vertigo 3-4 times per week. It affected every aspect of my life, and it wasn't until I changed medications that I was able to get the attacks under control. My doctor advised me not to get the second Shingrix injection. The only time I have had vertigo since then is when I have a cold and head congestion. Even then, when I get an attack, it's mild and goes away within a few minutes, nothing like the hours-long torture I endured before.

So, I'm afraid to do anything that will affect the fragile balance of my health. I've been reading all of your posts to see if the COVID vaccines have caused a flare-up of vertigo in other MD patients. I realize the COVID medication isn't the same type of vaccine as the Shingrix, but I just seem to be hyper sensitive to anything that impacts my immune system. I don't know what to do.

As a side note, I had a wellness checkup with my PCP this past week and I discussed this with him. He also suffers from occasional bouts of vertigo, although it's not Meniere's related. He encouraged me to get the shot but then proceeded to tell me that a week after he got his vaccine, he developed vertigo and was laid up with it for several days, couldn't work, etc. Of course, it could have just been a coincidence...but I almost felt that it was a sort of cosmic warning o_O to me. I mean, really, what are the chances that this small town doctor that I just happened to go to with questions about COVID impacting my vertigo would tell me that he got vertigo after getting the vaccine? He kept saying, "It's a tough decision you have to make." Yes, it is. I'd rather isolate for another year at home than go through the torture of continual vertigo attacks. It's a hellish way to live.

I guess I'm asking if anyone out there who hasn't responded yet to this thread has had their MD get worse after receiving the COVID vaccine.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Mr. Tom

Mr. Tom Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Where ever I park my RV
    Wife and I got my first dose of the Phizer vaccine almost two weeks ago. The worst part (for me) was the 1,500 miles I wound up driving one way for it! Long story short, couldn't seem to get the vaccine here in Texas and our local clinic offered it to us. All I got was a slight and I mean very slight tender spot on my arm for a couple of hours. We're moving about 500 miles north tomorrow (full time RV) so the next trip will be shorter.

7. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    First, dizziness from the moderna and pfizer vaccines is about 20%(VAERS reporting system). The vaccine developers and medical experts just decided not to let the general public in on that information until people started calling and reporting it. (Yeah, they’re jerks) Really, it just never occurred to them that this particular symptom might carry some weight with a subset of the population. It’s not that surprising, after all, how long did it take for any real research into pharmaceutical/immunological etc. Ménière’s treatments to start?

Based on what you said, your reaction to the shingrix vaccine caused vertigo. None of us want to think about that possibility, but the good news is that when it occurs as a direct result of a vaccine it means the immune/antibody function of your inner ear is working. Unfortunately, it also could mean the better your immune response, the more dizziness.

The medical students who served as guinea pigs testing the moderna vaccine at Vandy got sick, experienced typical severe flu symptoms. They were happy about it: It meant the vaccine was working and the worse they felt, the more likely a stronger immunity to COVID-19.

Also, I received mixed signals from one doctor, much as you experienced. Then I spoke with my ENT. The issue gets straightened out when someone literally says to you, “Please take it. My nephew had the virus but he was asymptomatic. We found out because he had a stroke/died three months later.” He also lost his SIL. They died before they were eligible for the vaccine.

I understand your reservations, but I’ve lost my next door neighbor and now one of the kindest people I’ve had the privilege to know has lost two dearly loved family members. None of these people were over fifty.

I’ll take my chances on the vaccine, even if I get dizzy, at least I’ll know it’s working. I just hope my turn comes up soon...

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Ps-forgot to mention, it’s usually the 2nd shot that *may trigger dizziness, as other posters described.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I got my first Covid shot last Wednesday. No dizziness, no vertigo. My upper arm became very sore and it's still sore and warm to the touch around the injection site. Besides that, Wednesday night I had muscle aches and chills, similar to the same symptoms I had when I actually had Covid, but not nearly as bad.

Now they're saying if you've had Covid, you probably don't need a second shot of the vaccine.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Cheryl, you've been through so much. I am so glad you are FINALLY able to get your vaccine. About time:)

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  11. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Thank you, Autumn. I was willing to wait it out in order to allow those that needed it worse than I did to get theirs first, but I became aware that two pharmacies and the Public Health Dept. were giving the shots over a three day period last week. I went online to see if any appointments were available. I could have gotten the shot at any one of the three locations and all time slots were open. I think anyone that qualified could have gotten a shot, so I went ahead and booked an appointment for my husband and myself.

I'll go ahead and get the booster in about three weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Honestly, after reading this, I am now rethinking getting the vaccine at all. I am finding information that lists dizziness as a possible side effect but cannot find any information as to what is meant by "dizziness" as to the degree or severity. Dizziness could mean anything from a slight lightheaded feeling to full out vertigo. Does anyone have any links or information about this to share? Thanks.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
  14. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
  15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    We are yet to determine whether any SARS-CoV-2 vaccines currently available elicit sterilising immunity.

Which is to say to date we simply haven't the data required to determine whether you would have to isolate for another year, or isolate for the rest of your life.

Regarding vaccines, see distinction separating preventing disease from preventing infection (sterilising immunity).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Leslie F.

Leslie F. New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Prosperity, PA
  17. Lax12mom

Lax12mom New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    I have had my second dose of the Moderna vaccine. It has been a week and a half and I have not had any side effects. It took me a couple of weeks for the dizziness to subside from the first shot. I would definitely do it again even with the dizziness. Getting covid with Meniere’s would be awful.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    It doesn't seem a stretch to me that people are reporting vertigo following the Shingrix vaccine. It is, after all, to prevent Shingles which is a manifestation of the Herpes virus. Many of us on here (including JOH) have been saying that the latent Herpes virus is at least a good part to blame for our MD troubles.

So if you are injecting yourself with something that contains viral fragments or pieces or whatever that is supposed to trigger your immune system to react to the Herpes virus... seems logical that our bodies will go into MD mode with this Herpes stimulation...

In other words - so far people seem to be tolerating the COVID vaccine just fine but for MD sufferers... Shingrix specifically may trigger vertigo...

19. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    How would you describe your dizziness, Lax12mom? Are we talking drink ginger tea, and you may not be able to walk/sit-up straight, or was your experience 24/7 phenergan, sleeping on the bathroom floor? Regardless, I'm still getting the vaccine, just curious on your assessment.

20. Lax12mom

Lax12mom New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    I had one bad night. The room was spinning. The rest of the time it was just that off balance feeling. Just not quite steady on my feet. It was like my head was congested starting with my Meniere’s ear. I’m better now but still have tension in my head and neck.

• Informative Informative x 2