1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What's on your mind?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    Georgia’s on my mind.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Meanwhile in Alabama: There’s a vaccine? Where?!

• Like Like x 1
  3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Wondering the same thing here in California. Heard that it's in storage, not being used. Received an email from Kaiser a couple of days ago informing me that I would be contacted when I am eligible to get the vaccine. Anybody's guess when that will be. :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Noticed a while ago one of my neighbors...stopped being a recluse. She’s looked so much happier, haven’t seen her REALLY mean spouse in long time, she’s been going places, having people over...
    Turns out, spouse died from Covid months ago. How very awkward to be glad for her happiness? I honestly thought he left her or she finally kicked him out. Never imagined he died. They were so reclusive we didn’t even know our next door neighbor died. Weird feeling. Really brings Covid home.

5. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    But you have confirmation! It exists. :DI heard a doctor here say they really didn’t want to take it. I was quite proud of myself. I kept my mouth shut.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I went on line exactly at 9:00 am when the line opened for registration for an appointment. There were 500 slots. I was told I made it to the waiting room. After being in the waiting room for 30 minutes I was told all time slots were taken. This means there were 500 people ahead of me at exactly 9:00. Will keep trying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    My 87-year-old MIL, who is in assisted living and my 90-year-old FIL and 88-year-old dad who are both in care facilities, just got their first shots yesterday. Since before Christmas the facility where my dad is had 32 staff members and 53 residents test positive for Covid. They only have 74 beds. I don't know how my dad didn't get it. He has pancreatic cancer and I know his days are numbered, but I'd just as soon he not die a horrible Covid death. It started with one employee testing positive and within two weeks it was totally out of control.

I can afford to wait awhile on the vaccine because my husband and I both had Covid just before Thanksgiving. I got it first and I have no idea where I was exposed. I had only been to the grocery store, made one trip to Walmart to pick up meds for my MIL and went to the PO to mail a package. I always wear a mask, wipe down my cart, stay away from other shoppers and use hand sanitizer when I leave the store. I had a miserable few days and then my husband got it. He only had a low grade fever and a headache for the first couple of days, then he developed nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. He spent a day in the hospital getting IV fluids. While he was there, a nurse noticed he was a little short of breath. After an x-ray, he was diagnosed with Covid acquired pneumonia. We're both pretty much back to normal, but I still have a lingering cough.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My family....missing them. Like so many we can’t be together right now. Missed them during the holidays and they won’t be able to travel to visit us this spring. No family vacations yet. That being said the good news is we had our first vaccine and will have our second on the 18th of this month. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Peace!

9. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    I can't believe the snow hasn't melted yet.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Who's responsible for super sensitive hotel tap & shower handles, of which have only two settings: slow drip & firehose?

This is my third mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine. A forth & I may lose my marbles.

11. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    3rd quarantine! I thought Australia’s numbers had improved? Sorry to hear this Nathan. I certainly understand how one would “lose my marbles “. Hopefully you will not have to face quarantine #4.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Develop a newfound passion for solitaire? If you start losing your marbles, I've always wanted a green/blue cat eye, and I could use a shooter for my set. Asking for a friend's niece's grandson. ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    I am guessing Nathan's traveling. Aren't most countries requiring people to quarantine coming to or from anywhere? Unless you're in the US. If you look at a map of the US there's just a big red, "NO."

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    I don't know if I've had covid, but I do know that peanut butter now tastes RANCID, and coffee smells burned. When my spouse makes coffee, I think something is on fire. What happened to my favorite food?! Covid makes you lose ALL smell and ALL taste...I think? This has been going on about a month now. :(

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Can confirm.

Ja, ageusia & anosmia are two possible & early symptoms of COVID-19.

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    This video is an excellent example as to how negative outcomes may occur when accurate information produced by a healthy vestibular system fails the selective pressures of an environment for which the system wasn't selected.

Side note, I assume, though might be wrong, that by "the vestibular system can not work without the aid of the eyes" said youtuber means the vestibular system becomes unhelpful when operating without visual cues in a scenario such as this; much the same way a boat's sail continues "to work well" despite being unhelpful, & a contributing factor as to why a sailing boat may sink when its keel runs aground during strong winds.

I say this because I'm sure he would agree that blind people are able to determine their orientation when in environments, or environmental scenarios that selected the human vestibular system.

Nonetheless, I found this video to be fascinating for multiple reasons, & thought some of you might like it too. If not also for multiple reasons, for a specific interest in vestibular predicaments.

17. Too cool for school

18. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I just entered a four-day weekend.

Drinks are on me!

Pure coincidence I'm the only one here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    Looking forward to Friday afternoon. I’m off starting at noon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I stand with women named Karen.

• Funny Funny x 1