1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What is the point of having my ENT do another VNG test if it made me sick twice before?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Apr 19, 2021.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    As a follow-up to my one thread regarding a recent feeling of pressure / fullness in the left ear (started about a week following covid vaccination), my doctor has had me on two different steroids. First (and continuing) is the fluticasone nasal spray and the second was the medrol - done with that (didn't help). Today, when I was back to the ENT they set me up for another VNG. I have the appointment but not sure I want to keep it. I've been there twice and simply cannot make it through the 3rd (caloric testing) portion of the test without getting really sick. I have no doubt the same thing will happen again, especially considering that my dizziness / lightheadedness symptoms are already more frequent and more severe than was the case when I did that test a few years ago. I understand his thinking to get a new reading but....if I can't complete the test...what is the point? He mentioned the possibility of further neurological testing if need be. I'll think about this but might just cancel and give it some more time to see it further resolves, being that the pressure, etc. is much less so than it was a few weeks ago.

Any thoughts on the VNG testing appreciated. I swore to myself after the last one that Id never do it again.

2. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    All I will say is that I did the VNG test once. I was asked to do it again some years after, but I refused. I will never do it again. I literally had nightmares about it for months after.

3. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I can totally relate! I think I'm going to cancel the appointment. I'd go in with probably such a pessimistic attitude as to set things on a bad course right from the first part of the test already. There has to be another way to diagnose this ear problem.

The worst part was that during some of it this technician was mentally trying to divert me from thinking about how I was feeling (as in...crappy) by asking me all sorts of stupid questions..."name as many green vegetables as you can", "name professional football teams", etc. I finally told her something like, "look, what you're trying to do with these questions simply isn't working" . At some point I had to call it off and ask...where is the restroom... LOL

4. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

LOL! Yeah, the questions. As if that could possibly divert anyone's attention from the horrible sensation.

5. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I think it actually made me more sick. It's like....stop talking to me already and let me concentrate on trying to hang in there and NOT feel worse! It was just annoying....no....I don't think I'm up for it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    My doctor just told me to schedule this and I’m terrified, all I hear is bad things.

7. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I have a suspicion there are far more people who tolerate it (with just some mild dizziness that resolves quickly either during or after the test) then there are those who have severe adverse effects and can't even make it through. It's a valuable diagnostic tool and I'd not hesitate to do it again - and have been trying to bolster myself up to do it - if I truly thought I wouldn't have the same reaction; however, deep down I'm fairly certain it'll go the same way. Some data obtained from it is better than none at all, but in talking to my doctor just last night he confirmed that they really should have the entire test results. I can manage parts one and two, but not three. I'd keep an open mind about it. Certainly self-fulfilling prophecy can play a role here - so my going into the test thinking it probably will get me sick will then likely have that result. Then again, in the past 5 years I've dealt with SO much dizziness, etc. whereas before - both times when I got sick it was rather a new sensation that I didn't know how to cope with. So....I might actually be able to manage it better than I think! Still...not brave enough to chance it. I've discussed other options with my doctor and he's fine with it. Next step is a referral to a neurologist. He said it could take as long as months to get an appt. though. Wishing you best of luck with the test if you decide to pursue it. Parts of it are really pretty cool.

8. bizzie

bizzie New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    This might sound strange, but as someone who doesn’t experience spinning vertigo, this would give me something to compare to as a point of reference to know what is true vertigo. I am going in for this Friday.

9. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    I had it done last year and I was fine. I only got slightly dizzy during the part where they spray water (or was it air?) directly into your ear. After like 30 seconds of seeing the room spinning it stopped and I was fine. So not everyone has terrible experiences. I must also say that I never had a vertigo attack before either so that might have something to do with it.

10. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    LOL - Let's hope you don't want a point of reference to know what is true death :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ^^^lol