1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Suicide and Ménière’s

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brian, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Has anyone had very bad trouble coping with this to disease to the point of having suicidal ideation, attempting or succeeding at suicide. This disease can be extremely debilitating.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    It is a tough disease but there are solutions! Much success has been had with AVs, JOH, Vitamins. And if that doesn't work there is very good surgery where they snip the nerve from the ear - no more vertigo. Bulldogs is a happy fellow whose wife is a doctor and he had surgery.

P.S. I don't think you will hear from too many who succeeded at suicide, and that is the problem with that solution!! If you could hear from them, I expect they would say "bad idea" :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Haha I should have said has there been anyone on the forum who you know of who has committed suicide

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    If I hear from any of them, I'll be sure to let you know! :)

5. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I just read your intro.
    With your active lifestyle and obvious grittiness, you will be fine, I'd bet on it.

I think most of us have shed some tears over this at one time or another, I know I have.

Just my casual observation but this disease does seem to affect more musicians than would be statistically probable. I am not a musician but I did listen to White Rabbit at incredible volumes :)

6. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    When I had my first attacks with the worst hangover (every day severe headaches and dizziness losing my balance) I thought about committing suicide after more than two months without any improvement. I did not do it because a series that a character was watching gave another starving character food, he rejected it out of pride and the character told him: If you don't eat you will die, but if you eat you will live to see a new day and you will never know what surprises it will bring .

Applied to my Meniere, it can be shit many times, but if I kill myself now and in five or ten years someone finds a cure What? As the other user told you: try antivirals, vitamins, betahistine, JOH, etc. and if nothing works, gentamicin or surgery. There is always time to commit suicide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Brian
    I am sure there are many who have thought about it in the thrones of Vertigo.

I would include myself in that category. Please know there are options to slay this beast forever.

I had a labyrinthectomy to slay the beast 11 years ago and I am as normal as any other 51 year old man walking the earth except I am deaf in my right w we at due to the surgery.

please know there are many on this forum who have had surgeries to reclaim their lives. There are also many on this forum with no balance function in both wars and use cochlear implant to hear and they have great lives. Some are even doctors and presidents of banks.

winning the mental aspect is very important but please know you don’t have to live with vertigo and dizziness.

I don’t know where you live but my advice would be to go to a Otolaryngologist at a big teaching hospital. I highly recommend Dr Rauch at Meei/Harvard
    Dr. Mattox at Emory
    Dr. Della Santina at John Hopkins

there are lots of tools in the tool shed so to speak to stop the vertigo and restore hearing.

God Bless
    PM me if you want to talk
    Joe/Bulldogs

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    For me it is the constant tinnitus that is hurting me the most. The vertigo and ear fullness are a walk in the park because they aren’t 24/7 365.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    If you have experienced the devastation suicide inflicts on families and friends, it would not be a consideration. MD is a nasty beast. However, at 63 i can say I’ve dealt wit more devastating issues. As a beleiver, i hang on to my Rock to get me thru the difficult times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. arcticblueice

arcticblueice Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I once read that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

today is not forever my friends…

• Like Like x 2
  11. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I know when I was on the floor vomiting unable to move it crossed my mind that I could not live like this. But, as George Harrison said..."All things must pass"... and there came a time where I could once again walk and talk. But I can certainly see a time if things were in a bad way AND getting constant vertigo attacks one could contemplate "moving on".

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Brian, it's interesting that for you it's the tinnitis that hurts you the most and not the vertigo and ear fullness. It's the opposite for me. I live with roaring tinnitis but gladly accept that over vertigo and ear fullness. I can at least function with tinnitis. I cannot get off the floor with vertigo much less go to work. And ear fullness, at least for me, is usually an indicator of a possible future vertigo attack. I also live with almost permanent dizziness in various degrees, but again, gladly accept that over full blown vertigo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    How do you sleep with the tinnitus?

14. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I've had it so long I just don't focus on it. Sleeping is not a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Try running a fan or play the radio while sleeping.

16. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I played white noise at bed time until my hearing got soo bad couldn't hear it anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    For some reason my tinnitus reacts to the white noise and any droning noise. So I end up listening to it all night and it drives me mad.

18. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Whirled Planet
    My tinnitus was so bad between my shunt surgery and my vestibular nerve resection one year later, that I completely understand why someone would want to do anything to make it stop. It was a cacaphony of 18 wheelers driving past at close range while a marching band horn section blasted in directly into my ear plus whistles, low and high pitched hums, and random electronic buzzes and beeps. There were so many conflicting and discordant sounds and all at full volume 24/7 - I just wanted it to stop at any cost.

Once I had the resection, the noise was immediately less discordant and is limited to three or four distinct sound elements, which became more or less tolerable after a few years.

This disease can be so debilitating and isolating that when I read of the folks who took their life to end the tinnitus, I get it. I really don't think it is the solution and I wish with all my heart that no one else takes that route. But, I do get it.

I'm so glad there is a community like this because no one really understands this struggle like others who are in the same fight. You are not alone.

19. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    what kept you sane through all this?

20. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Your life is different now than it was before. It will never be like it was before. THose are harsh words, but true words. The reality of those words must be accepted before you can move on. Personally, it took me a long time to reach that point being a musician and all. But get to that point you must if you want any kind of a life outside of feeling sorry for yourself. I have no degree in psychiatry or psychology, I simply have lived this and wish you he best.

• Like Like x 1