1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Labyrinthectomy Scheduled

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have a Labyrinthectomy scheduled for August 16th, and I am very excited.

This website has been very beneficial to me. It's where I found out about anti-virals and all other recommended ways to live with Meniere's.

Here is a short background on what brought me to a Labyrinthectomy. A lot of the timelines are kind of blurry to me. This is as I remember it.

Diagnosed 8 years ago at the age of 34. I have tried a lot. The first was low sodium and prednisone with no response. Within a short time, I got anti-virals and experienced relief so great I wanted to shout from the rooftops.

Over the years, I used Famciclovir and Valacyclovir from various manufacturers. Some manufacturers were better than others. Additionally, I was on a JOH regimen with added monolaurin and olive leaf extract.

I always ate healthy foods and exercised.

About 2 years ago, anti-virals stopped working. I was frequently getting sick and experienced my first drop attack.

Enough was enough. I reached out to Dr. Gacek (the son). Worked with his anti-viral protocol. I even went to Alabama to get a procedure done by him, where he put a dissolvable sponge of ganciclovir directly on the nerve in my ear. Unfortunately, it did not work for me.

I'm sharing all this for two reasons:

1. Hopefully, it helps someone else.

2. To explain, I did not start at a Labyrinthectomy. I ended up here.

I know other members have been kind enough to document their recovery process from a labyrinthectomy. So I do not know if mine would be helpful. But if anyone believes it could be useful, please reply here. I will certainly post my process.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Please do

• Like Like x 1
  3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I am very excited for you! You gave it your best before choosing the laby. 8 years is a long time to suffer with the beast. Get that monkey off your back and get on with your life. I look forward to following your journey. Best of luck and God bless!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Best wishes and prayers to guide the surgeons hands for you my friend. Are you opting for the CI with the Laby?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I predict you will disappear from this website because in two or three weeks you will have your life back and live a long normal life free from the beast.

congrats

keep us posted.
    Walk walk walk and when you don’t want to walk anymore walk a little more. Push yourself on different types of surfaces and before you know it all will be normal.

Joe /Bulldogs

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you!

7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks, Joe. I appreciate it. Hopefully I’ll stick around to offer support where I can. I’m really excited to get my life back.

8. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi, I’m not opting for the cochlear implant, it would take much longer for insurance to cover it (if they would) and that would push the surgery back. I took first available surgery date! I can’t get it fast enough.

9. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    I’ve had this for 8 years now, but I never went to see a doctor about it because I didn’t thing all the symptoms were related. This started in 2013 and didn’t seek treatment until March this year. The Covid-19 vaccine exacerbated my symptoms so much I could no longer ignore them.

10. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    amen
    You should be excited to get your life back to normalcy

• Like Like x 1
  11. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck to you Blakeh! I had a similar path as you, 7 years to labyrinthectomy, although fortunately I didn’t get as far as a drop attack. I echo Bulldogs to walk walk walk after the labyrinthectomy. It feels tricky at first but the more you move the faster you’ll be back to a close version of your old you. I’m 3 years post labyrinthectomy now and so so so glad I did it when I said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    *meant “did” not said lol. I really did do it.

13. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you. I’m super excited, only 8 more days!

I will definitely walk and walk. Especially if that is what will speed up my recovery. I hope to be back exercising soon as well.

14. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    8 days and counting!

15. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Best of luck! Do keep us posted.

16. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Yes as stated above walking is the answer to a quick recovery. Walk on different terrain and look out over the horizon. If you need to use walking sticks in the beginning do so just keep walking. Also naps in between walks can be helpful. Nap enough to rest your eyes. Best of luck!

17. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    All the best to you !!! Keeping my fingers crossed and please do keep us posted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I definitely will! Thank you.

19. Todd

Todd New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    Best of luck! I had my laby in April and then cochlear implant in June. I split the two for the same reasons.

I’m very happy I did both. Be patient with the implant if you go that route. It takes time.

20. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Just checking in how your labyrinthectomy went.