1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Post Labyrinthectomy - daily progress journal

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 1: (august 16th) labyrinthectomy without the cochlear implant. Ambulatory outpatient surgery. (Day 1 was written by my wife)

The procedure was scheduled for noon and had to fast after midnight. I arrived at the doctor just before 11 and was taken back to gown up around 11:15. After meeting with the surgeon and anesthesiologist, I was taken back for the procedure around 12:40. Procedure lasted from 1:15 until 2:30. The doctor told my wife that everything went as planned with no issues.

After about an hour I was moved from the hospital bed to a reclining chair. Receiving fluids and iv pain meds. Got up and walked with assistance down the hall and back. Felt nauseous and dizzy so the nurses had me sit back down and gave me another bag of fluids and IV anti nausea medicine. After about 45 minutes took another walk and felt okay enough to brave going home (I really just wanted to get in my own bed). Was taken out in a wheelchair and when I got home I was able to walk with assistance to my apartment. Got home and went straight to be. Woke up a few times throughout the night to go to the bathroom. Took the prescribed anti nausea and dizziness medication and over the counter pain medication.

Everything was pretty bad and with vertigo. Loud tinnitus.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Wow, thank you thinking of us during this time, very considerate. Looking forward to the next installment and wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Like Like x 1
  3. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Please keep us updated as to your progression through recovery. Thank you for keeping us in the loop! Continued best wishes as you go through this journey. Praying you find the relief to so need.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 2 (again written by my wife)

I forgot to mention on day 1 that there is a large styrofoam protector over my ear and I need to leave it on for 48 hours. I can’t wash my hair or get my ear wet for a few days.

Day 2: I woke up after sleeping 14 hours, when I open my eyes I am able to see everything without vertigo. Which was a huge change from yesterday. I’m not really walking that much but plan to start walking more after we take the protective styrofoam piece off. Pain level is a 2-3 out of 10 (10 being the highest). Turing my head still makes me nauseous and I’m spending most of my time in bed. I have thrown up since the surgery.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 3

CORRECTION TO DAY 2: I have NOT thrown up since surgery.

I’m able to write today’s update myself. Forgive my scattered writing.

Went to bed about 7pm last night and woke up at 6 am. Much longer than I normally sleep.

When I woke up, my ear pain was around the same , 2-3 level out of 10.

Currently just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain, and Zofran.

I was definitely more alert upon awakening, and am not feeling dizzy, just off balance. When I woke up I had coffee ;) the kind with caffeine in it!

Most of the day I’m laying down watching tv and a little bit of working from my phone.

On commercial breaks I am getting up and walking in my house. Turning my head makes things more off balance, or slight vertigo. The other part of the day I’m actually able to sit up on the couch. Big change from yesterday.

I can look at my computer or phone minimally without starting to feel dizzy.

My ear is making a lot of noise but I could care less about tinnitus.

I do not feel nausea either which is a big relief.

I took the protective cover and bandage off my ear (48 hours post surgery). Everything looks relatively normal considering what they did. ;)

I plan on writing updates everyday for the first 7 days, after that I will space them out a little more.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    I’m in NYC too, which doctor did you use?

7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Brian,

I used Dr. Sean Mcmenomey at NYU Langone.

8. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    I’m seeing Dr. Roland at NYU in October. I’m going to him for a second opinion. I was diagnosed by Darius Kohan a Neurotologist at Lenox Hill.

I hope you make a full recovery!

9. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Blake you are doing great! Keep up the good work. You have the monkey off your back. God bless!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you, Brian.

11. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks. I’m hoping every day gets a little better.

12. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Dear Black,

My name its Luis and and I am writing from Portugal. I just wanted to wish you a quick recovery and to say that your feedback from the operation is very important to me! I'm very inclined to do the operation and I'm following your posts daily! Thank you very much for your feedback. I don't think you are aware of the importance! Thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 4

It was very hard to go to sleep last night, I believe because I’ve been napping so much in the day.

I woke up feeling well.

Still taking Tylenol, ibuprofen and Zofran.

Pain level in my ear is still minimal (2-3 out of 10).

There is consistent loud tinnitus with cracking and popping.

I am off balance when walking. A little nausea today as well.

Yesterday I walked about 50 feet in front of my house.

Went out today and walked about 150 feet or so.

Overall I do not feel bad, just off balance and tired. Keep in mind this is only 72 hours post op.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks, Louis. I appreciate your kind words. Hopefully it helps someone else. This has been a long and exhausting road.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    you are going well... can you walk alone or you need any kind of help?

16. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I can walk alone. I’m not walking far right now. Just a little at a time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Blake being tired is very normal as your brain is adjusting to single sided hearing as well as having your vestibular nerve disrupted. Lots of retraining going on in that brain. Walking is very important even baby steps makes a difference. You are going to feel so much better in 2 weeks. Keep on moving one step at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    Blake

I may have missed it on the forum but would you mind me asking your age and how long you battled the “demon “ MD.

Praying for you a quick recovery .

19. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    That is what I am hoping for!

20. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi, I’m 41 years old and have been battling Menieres for about 8 years.

• Like Like x 1