1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Post Labyrinthectomy - daily progress journal

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Blakeh, Aug 17, 2021.

1. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Thanks Redwing!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 14

I have been feeling better and better everyday. The last few days I have been walking around the city (NYC), grabbing lunch and enjoying being outside the house.

The tinnitus has calmed down to pre surgery levels. Looking left or right while walking can give some off balance feelings, but nothing major. Same thing if I close my eyes and move my head. I went on my first car ride since surgery and it did not feel that good. It felt like it was a lot for my eyes to take in, tolarable but borderline motion sickness feeling. But no big deal and was back to normal right after I got out of the car. Since I live in NYC I don't get in the car much but I assume this will also go away with time.

I still do not have full sensation in my ear, although it’s been healing nicely.

Since surgery I have not had any vertigo or thrown up. I am not taking any medications. I feel close to normal! I drink caffeinated coffee every morning with no issues ;)

My physical therapy does not officially start until Sept. 16th. Where I believe my residual symptoms will be resolved.

My follow up post op appointment is Sept. 3rd, at which point I’m hoping to get clearance to exercise.

Overall I am extremely happy and relieved I had labyrinthectomy. I wish I would of saved myself years of suffering and gotten one sooner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    This is great news Blake. You really are well on your way to a normal life. I am pretty sure your post op appointment is going to be very positive. I think a lot of us who suffered with vertigo wished we had gone for the laby sooner you are not alone in your thinking! Keep up the good work.

4. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Great Blake! Im very happy with your recovery!
    Tell me something, do you have a very large and visible scar with the surgery? I usually walk with my hair shaved! Hahahha

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016

Thanks, Luis. It has not been long enough to tell, although they cut behind the ear on the crease where the back of my ear meets my head. So even if I had a shaved head I do not think anyone would be able to tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Great!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you. And I appreciate you answering my questions and encouragement pre surgery. It’s a little nerve wrecking deciding to have a labyrinthectomy, so chatting with yourself and others on the forum were the deciding factors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I would like to hear from someone that has had the vestibular nerves removed from both ears. Thanks.

9. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Hi Blake,

How did it go your follow up post op appointment? Did you had authorization to exercise?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    in my humble opinion I would go for the laby’s with a CI

a VNS (vestibular nerve section) is brain surgery and a laby is an Ear surgery and far less complicated. Also the VNS does nothing to stop the hearing loss. Give me the combo laby and Cochlear implant any day.

A laby does nothing to the nerve connection to the brain. The laby is the removal of the semicircular canals in the ear. Now they leave the cochlea (snail portion) in there for a CI if needed.

God Bless
    This is just my humble opinion
    The laby os the gold standard and it gave me my life back

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Day 20

My post-op surgery appointment was two days ago.

I was cleared to do anything I want without restrictions, including flying, exercise, and swimming.

My balance has greatly improved and I walk around without discomfort.

The last two days I'm back at the gym, lifting weights, rowing and running.

I feel really good and could not be happier or more excited about the future.

My tinnitus is lower than pre-surgery and very manageable.

I still have my first Physical Therapy appointment scheduled for the 17th. I’m improving so quickly I do not know what I will work on during PT.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Blaked, Im so happy that i cant put in words! I feel your success like my success! Very happy with your quick recovery! Ieeeeeeee! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    :) Such great news! Congratulations !!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Awesome. You got your life back. No more anxiety about your next attack…..Go enjoy the rest of your normal life.

amen
    Sooooo happy for u
    Joe/Bulldogs

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Blake you did it!!! So happy for you and your family. No looking back just keep going forward. Enjoy the life you longed for. God Bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks for all of your support. It means a lot and I appreciate it.

I will give another update in two weeks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Hi Blake! How are you? Tell us everything!! :)
    How are you feeling last 2 weeks? Are you already 100%?

18. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Luis,

Yes, I am back at 100%. I could not be happier or more grateful. I can do anything anyone else can do. I’m finally free of the beast!

I plan on writing a long post on my journey to a labryinthectomy. I played around with anti virals for several years, and I regret not getting the surgery sooner.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. LuisMeniere

LuisMeniere Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Portugal
    Hi blake, i'm very happy with you recovery! Ieeeee :)

Based on your story i made the decision to also make the labryinthectomy! I will do the exams in November and also set the day for surgery (It will be on January). I could do it earlier but I wanted it to be in January so I could mentally adapt to the decision...

I will wait for your post of your labryinthectomy journey!

Thank you for all the information that you give in the last month! :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    What great news Blake! Life is good go out and enjoy your new found freedom. God bless.

• Like Like x 2