1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Health and Fitness

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, May 18, 2014.

1. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Every person has a food diet some eat healthy some don't. Diet does not have to mean you are "on a diet." It can mean the way you choose to eat. ;)

2. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014

Rewing; Semantics. ::)
    If you have menieres or any vestibular disorder, chances are you altered your diet.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Yes that's how it is for me. I took her word "diet" in the calorie sense of the word, which is why I said in the first line that I eat a lot of food. I don't eat for weight loss; I eat for nourishment and optimized health. I have generally eaten that way for most of my life. I love cooking so meal planning is not an issue.

I avoid what I know my body doesn't react to very well. Gluten causes major brain fog and dairy seems to exacerbate my tinnitus so I avoid them as much as possible.

If this can be considered special, then okay, my way of eating is special as far as my body is concerned.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    We had a health and wellness thread on this forum for some years way back. It was really, really nice. There was a decent number of posters who contributed. Everyone talked about his/her health, fitness, eating, excercise or habit goals and we helped one another achieve them.

Nobody was viewed as a braggart nor was the word narcissist thrown around carelessly. We cheered each other on every mile, every pound lost, every healthy meal cooked. Accomplishment was celebrated not snickered at. We shared tips and tools, suggestions, recipes, anxieties, success stories.

If this thread can help even one person stay on track, it's awesome. I know some don't post because they don't enjoy being perceived through the subjective lenses of certain commentators. We do keep in touch via PM and so the support is there. Keep up the great work. Take care of your health and enjoy your day.

5. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Intrepid I thank you for starting this thread and sharing your insights. We all need encouragement at different levels. You are always so upbeat and generous with your time. Thank you my friend!

6. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    And speaking of health and fitness...I had the best morning. I am a hospice volunteer and have been matched with a 90 year old lady who wants to get outside for walks. I can't think of a better way to spend my time. I met her today, her name is Dorothy. She is bubbly, and ready to walk!! She uses a walker because she does need to stop and rest to catch her breath. She has a pacemaker but is pretty healthy overall. She values the benefits of exercise. I am so honored to be able to spend time with her. This was our first meeting and I feel as though I have known her my whole life. Just imagine all I will gain from being with her a couple days a week. What a gift!

7. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Now that is awesome!

Kudos!

8. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    Im back to doing TM and its relaxing like nothing else I do. Maybe I will get back to some walking meditations, thats very calming and centering too in a different way. Watching my kiddo do karate tempts me to get back to Thai Boxing but I hesitate because it often set me off for a day or two after. Instead i still strength train and even though im older and not as big I am squatting and deadlifting higher than in my youth. Its great to know that even as we get older we can gain strength.
    Hospice work is important and I have a definite interest too. I applied years ago but they never got back to me and I moved on.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Thanks guys :) I really like this thread.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Good Morning!

Which wolf are you going to feed today? It's always your choice.

Early morning wake up. Meeting my trainer for a workout and then it's on with the day. I like going this early in the morning because the people are quieter, more focused, and the gym is not so crowded.

I love deadlifts and squats as well. I can't deadlift very heavy weights (as yet) but I have worked my way to lifting my body weight, which was a big deal for me. Right now the guy is focusing on RDLs to help me with balance. Not easy but so useful.

Went to Yoga late yesterday evening. My Wednesday instructor is on a cruise in Alaska. We had a sub. She was really good. Very strong and powerful woman. She focused mostly on leg poses and opening up the chest. Vinyasa yoga flows quickly so it ends up being a good workout. My favorite part is the last 7 minutes when we all lay down on our mats, eyes closed, lights out and it's just breathwork. Great way to end the day,

Peace out. Smile.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    "Having a low opinion of yourself is not 'modesty.' It's self-destruction. Holding your uniqueness in high regard is not 'egotism.' It's a necessary precondition to happiness and success."

Take pride in yourselves and all you have accomplished through hard work. Stand tall. Keep moving forward in the direction that helps you grow the most.

Have a great weekend! Enjoy Labor Day. Get out and be active. There is more to life than shooting down others. It's a waste of your time and potential.

Cheers!

12. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Good Morning!

I spent the last few days being completely happy. Went on a retreat and can't even begin to describe how absolutely wonderful every moment was. Hope you all had a good Labor Day weekend.

Do you drink coffee? Does anybody in your family drink coffee? Before you throw away the grinds, rub some on the back of your hands (and elbows if you need to) for about 30 to 45 seconds. Wash with warm water. You will have the softest skin! For a smoother effect, add a few drops of coconut or olive oil. You can also use this to exfoliate the skin on your face. Don't rub your face too vigorously and make sure the grinds are completely cooled down.

Take the time to day to exfoliate on the inside as well. Smooth out your rough edges, brush off hurtful words and actions, let your inner calm serve to ground yourself and those around you.

Take a few deep breaths multiple times today. I wish you all energy and lightness.

“Make the most of yourself....for that is all there is of you.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

13. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Pilates never gets easier for me but, yesterday, it got better. It happened in an unexpected way. I didn't want to go. I'd done an hour of Zumba after work to shake off the day and was feeling great. A friend talked me into staying for the Pilates class. I love Pilates but I don't like working out that much and I didn't know this instructor.

She insisted because we hadn't seen each other in a while and so I caved and said okay. 15 minutes into the class I finally began to relax and just enjoy the experience. It really was tough because the movements are all small but need a lot of control and muscle work. I started to feel gratitude toward my friend for convincing me to stay.

At the end, the instructor tells us that he won't be there in a couple of weeks as he is going on vacation to the most beautiful country he knows. He then says the name of my hometown. At first, I thought I heard wrong (my hearing isn't what it used to be!) so I approached him and asked if I'd heard correctly. Turns out he IS from there and we naturally slipped into speaking our language and all our gestures and expressions and body movements, that are typical of our native country, came out as well. It was amazing.

I made a new friend. He knows a lot of people who come from our same place. So now, I will get to meet them as well since we are going out next week. I am thrilled to bits.

Moral of the story (for me anyway) is: try something new. Even when you really don't feel like it, do it. You never know what surprisingly wonderful element will emerge. For me, it was something completely unexpected but beautiful. I am looking forward to going to her classes now. He is tough but you leave feeling so good. And, I now have a new friend....who speaks my language :) How cool is that?!

Why not go out on a limb? Isn’t that where the fruit is?

~Frank Scully

I wish you all an adventurous day. Go out and find that someone who speaks your language. Or learn to speak his/hers.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Enjoy your puppy today, Rose. Take another walk if you can.

I have Zumba and Yoga this afternoon and the rest of the day will be spent driving the kiddos around and cooking.

It's a cloudy day here and I like it. I finished reading Siddhartha last night. That book never gets old for me.

15. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I have just returned from 5 days on Cape Cod. It was beautiful and invigorating. We hiked, biked and swam everyday! Camping in the great outdoors with camp fires every night. What more could any one person ask for. A perfect ending to the summer. Today is a beautiful Fall day in NE. I am going for a nice long walk and then playing golf to end the day. Life is good. Shut down your computers and get outdoors ;)

16. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I'm jealous just reading this.
    I miss the beach

17. daBronx

daBronx Member

May 13, 2014
    I haven't weighed myself in about 6 weeks,so this morning I checked my weight and I lost 10 pounds.I think it's because I've been eating less and less white flour.I also continue to take a heaping tablespoon of Athletic Greens mixed in 8 ounces of water early in the morning on an empty stomach.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    Congratulations! I'm sure you feel a lot better.

19. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Pilate's this morning and a walk this afternoon. Trying to lose 4 pounds I gained this summer from over indulging. Trying to remember I can have one glass of wine at night not the whole bottle :'(

20. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Spinning this morning a walk later this afternoon. On a good note I have gone one week without a glass of wine. When I made it through the weekend I knew I was in a good place. Yea for me :)

I hope we can keep this thread alive. I am not as articulate as Intrepid but I do have her passion for exercise and overall good health habits. I am here to encourage all who need that little extra push.

Peace and have a great day.