1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Very Interesting-CPAP therapy on Ménière's disease patients

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Guest

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094927

J Clin Sleep Med. 2015 Jun 11. pii: jc-00316-14. [Epub ahead of print]

A Pilot Study on the Efficacy of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) on the Manifestations of Ménière's Disease in Patients with Concomitant Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS).

Nakayama M, Masuda A, Ando KB, Arima S, Kabaya K, Inagaki A, Nakamura Y, Suzuki M, Brodie H, Diaz RC, Murakami S.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the effect of CPAP therapy on Ménière's disease patients with concomitant OSAS, since recent reports suggest OSAS may cause dysfunction of the vestibular system.

STUDY DESIGN:

Prospective study using CPAP administered to patients diagnosed with "Definite Ménière's disease" according to the guidelines of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and combined with OSAS.

SETTING:

University hospital.

METHODS:

Twenty consecutive patients, 14 male and 6 female with active, unilateral, cochleovestibular Ménière's disease refractory to medical management who also had concurrent OSAS as defined by International Classification of Sleep Disorders II were selected to undergo solitary CPAP therapy. Audiometric testing, caloric testing, and DHI survey were conducted before and after CPAP therapy and compared to assess effectiveness of CPAP therapy as utilized for treatment of Ménière's disease.

RESULTS:

Although caloric testing did not show significant difference, audiometric testing and results of dizziness handicap inventory were significantly improved (p< 0.05) after CPAP therapy only, without standard treatment for Ménière's disease.

CONCLUSIONS:

Recent reports have suggested that OSAS may cause dysfunction of the vestibular system. We investigated whether standard therapy for OSAS would be of benefit in the management of vertigo and hearing loss in Ménière's disease patients. Our study cohort demonstrated significant improvement in both DHI and audiometric testing following solitary CPAP therapy for OSAS. Solitary CPAP therapy may become a new effective treatment strategy for Ménière's disease patients with OSAS, not just only for control of dizziness and vertigo but also for potential benefit of hearing.

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    As usual, a very interesting read.

Thanks for all of your hard work. Much appreciated!

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I wonder if it would benefit people with MM who do not have sleep apnea.

4. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Interesting! A good find Vicki!

I wonder if because the CPAP machine delivers extra oxygen that is the reason that it helps?

Interesting though.

5. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    One doctor told me that sleep apnea correlates strongly with this disease. REM sleep is where the body repairs itself. If you don't get enough REM sleep, then every system in the body is negatively affected by virtue of insufficient regenerative sleep. That probably would include the immune system, right? If the viral hypothesis is accurate, then sleep apnea would be a friend to the herpes virus.

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thanks nicmger..I have no idea why a CPAP therapy helps MM but it sure is interesting. What's exciting to me is that it seems researchers are looking into new treatments and causes of MM lately.

7. LessA2

LessA2 New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Well, FWIW I have used a CPAP since 2008, which is a few years before my MM symptoms came back. I don't think there's a connection either way. I do often wonder whether long-term use of a CPAP might have a negative effect on one's balance, since it messes with the pressure inside your head. My ENT says he thinks not. I would be interested to hear anyone else's experience.

8. prozeal

prozeal Member

May 9, 2015
    I wonder how many of us sufferes have a deviated septum (a visible blocked nose either caused by an injury to the nose or some other cause). I found out I had a deviated septum a 3 years ago. You can check it yourself by pointing a flashlight in each nostril and comparing the two, if you see one side blocked significantly than the other you have it. It causes sinus issues.

Please post here if you have it?

9. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Hmmm - I have a deviated septum. The ENT that diagnosed my Meniere's pointed it out to me. He said I should have it fixed surgically because it tends to get worse as you get older.

I saw some Youtube videos of people who had it fixed surgically and it looked pretty scary! LOL So I never mentioned it to my doctor.

The bad ear side is the same side as my blocked nostril.

Prozeal - did you have your deviated septum fixed? Is it on the same side as your bad ear?

10. prozeal

prozeal Member

May 9, 2015
    Dynamo - very interesting. Would like to know if more people have it here, I asked the site admin if we could do poll questionaires with amount of votes, but haven't heard yet from him.

I have not fixed it yet but I'm considering it. Symptoms of deviated septum are:

Difficulty breathing through the nose
    Nasal congestion, usually one side more than the other
    Recurrent sinus infections (I have this very mild but chronic)
    Nosebleeds
    Sleep problems, such as loud snoring or sleep apnea
    Headache postnasal drip
    Preference for sleeping on one side (I have this too, it's amazing how just having a deviated septum can make you sleep on one side then cause muscular pain as a result, because sleeping on one side can cause imbalances in the muscle)

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

you can do a poll if you make a new thread, poll is an option

12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

click on living room there's a button next to new topic called new poll

13. prozeal

prozeal Member

May 9, 2015
    Oh snap didn't know that. Will make one now for deviated septum. how excellent.

14. prozeal

prozeal Member

May 9, 2015
    Sorry I missed this question, mine is not on the same side as the bad ear, but I don't think that matters, but a good question though.