1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

beginning of the end

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Santa, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Guest

you may want to look into a systemic fungal infection and try nyastatin or monolaurin which is supposed to get rid of fungal infections as well as viral and bacterial infections.

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

or you might have MAV

3. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    The issue is blood flow to a place in the body locked inside a bone. A virus, or indeed any kind of infection is going to cause inflammation. When something like the inner ear becomes inflamed, that's going to restrict blood flow even more. Bone doesn't give, so the pressure increases. That slows delivery of the curative agent to the affected area. Can take weeks and indeed months before results are seen.

That's one reason why things that work like JOH have a number of components intended to improve blood flow.

It's also why chiropractic care can also be effective at treating or at least helping to mitigate the affects of this disease. When C1 and C2 are misaligned, they can impinge the arteries feeding the inner ear.

4. LessA2

LessA2 New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    vitolony, that analysis makes sense. I haven't tried chiropractic, but I did have my massage therapist wail on my neck, and it didn't seem to help.

Vicki, I did read the info thread about MAV. Your point is well taken that it's far more common/statistically likely than MM and often misdiagnosed. The description didn't seem to match my experience though, I have very little vertigo (I knock on wood every time I say that), and my symptoms are constant not episodic. They don't fluctuate or seem to be tied to any triggers.

I don't suppose there's a way to be tested for a systemic fungal infection?

5. serbian

serbian Member

Mar 25, 2015
    You can be tested against candida antibodies, LessA2.

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I don't want to push the idea on you but what you just posted does match MAV:

"A more common type of MAV and difficult to diagnose is when there are less distinct episodes of vertigo or there is no headache at all. Approximately 50% of vertigo attacks related to migraine occur in headache-free periods. Furthermore, migraine dizziness is often felt as chronic dysequilibrium (the feeling you have walking down the street after too many glasses of wine), lightheadedness, a swimming drunk feeling, floating, or a feeling of being disconnected from the world (also called derealisation

chronic means ongoing, long lasting.

7. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I was on acyclovir for five months before going to valacyclovir. Then I was on 3,000 mg of val. for three months before adding the OPC. It could be coincidentally that my problems got better three days after starting the OPC. Four and a half months later I am still taking 2,000 mg of valacyclovir. I have tried to go down to 1,000 mg and the next day I have some aural fullness. So, I am sticking to 2,000 mg.

The OPC is great for circulation as are many items in JOH's Regimen.

8. LessA2

LessA2 New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    I should have been clearer when I said "my symptoms are constant not episodic" - I was referring to hearing loss and tinnitus, not vertigo. Does that still sound like MAV to you? That particular excerpt only deals with vertigo.

9. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I think the antiviral so would help IF they work for you.

Constant vertigo is not joke, we all know that. I'm not certain what medication, if any, would be prescribed for MAV, but I would treat it as Menieres to be sure.

Disclosure: this is just my opinion and only having read the last page I may not have all the facts.

In either case I wish you well and hope you get to the root of your diagnosis or relief soon.
    For me, the antiviral took 2-3 months before I saw positive results. Seemed like one day I said wow I feel good.

Good luck

10. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Since you feel disequilibrium and do not get many vertigo attacks and antivirals didn't help at all then I would give MAV treatment a try and start with the food triggers.

11. LessA2

LessA2 New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Well...I might have spoken too soon. My hearing and tinnitus are actually a lot better! Woohoo! I guess it happened gradually and I didn't notice it for a while - was waiting for something dramatic like a flipping a switch. Maybe it's the weather or something - it was better last summer too and then suddenly got bad again in the fall. But I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts anyway, and keep taking the OPC. And it's always reassuring to know that the ear damage isn't irreparable so far. Fingers crossed, even tho that makes it hard to type!

12. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    So does that mean you are going to keep your OPC bottle? Bummer. ;-)..... :D

Good for you!

13. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I ran out of OPC last week and bought something different from Vitamin shoppe called Reserveage Grape Seed Extract 325 mg, standard to %95 polyphenols with Resveratrol. Big mistake--tore up my stomach and made me sit on pot constantly with mixed results. Ordering OPC today.

Happy for you LessA2!!

14. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Letter to Santa: When something is working, NEVER let yourself run out! :)

Anyway, now that you are out, it will be interesting to see if you experience any changes, either to your Meniere's symptoms or legs/circulation issue.

Please keep us posted. We all love a Guinea Pig :D

15. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    That goes for the OPC *and* the vodka, right?

16. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Well.....after posting the other day, instead of ordering the OPC, http://www.wholehealth.com/opc-grape-seed-extract-180mg-blend-180-capsules.html
    that I just ran out of, I decided to take Reserveage Grape Seed Extract 325 mg at night, before going to bed. Yesterday-no toilet issues. :)

However; yesterday morning my hearing was not too good. ( but---I didn't take it for two days ) Took it again last night and this morning upon rising hearing not to good. I always take lysine with big glass of water first thing in morning and wait 20-30 minutes before having coffee. It's been a little over an hour now and hearing is improving. Not great, but improving.

If this continues tomorrow I will be ordering a different brand of OPC.

However; after reading this article, http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/chem_background/exsumpdf/grapeseeds_pinebark_508.pdf I just might have to give this Reserveage Grape Seed Extract with Resveratrol a few more days of trial.

"Still have source of Vodka, tmcmahon2," ;) squeaked the Guinea Pig.

17. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Santa--after I just replied to your post and posted again--I saw this one I'd read before but forgot you mentioning the Meclizine you take too. My doctor told me 'not to take it' when I had vertigo--instead insisted on Valium (said it would help with vestibular issues and Meclizine, though it might work, that in the long run, could actually 'mess up' the vestibular system). That is why I have been reluctant to take it--and until the last few days had not. See my post in response to yours and others on my 'dizzy days' lately. I explained about taking it again last night. I do hope you are 'hanging in there'. I too love to sing in our church choir--occasionally sing solos--I've done that for 55 years now--am in my 70's, and had to drop out of choir due to this. Plan on going back in the fall--giving it another try. I still sing on occasion, but the choir effect gets to me--the sound of my own voice makes my head vibrate and can make things worse for me. Have you found that to be the case with your involvement with music--instruments, singing, etc.?

18. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Yanksgirl-----Last year my GP and ENT prescribed Valium for when vertigo was happening. I didn't like the feeling from Valium so I stopped taking it. Still have a bottle of it.

I only took meclizine a couple of times, didn't like it either. But, it did help. Since February 23, I have not had to take it. I have not had vertigo.

I still have fluctuations in quality of hearing and lots of tinnitus.

I don't get the dizzies either. Many times I feel like I am going to get the dizzies or vertigo. This feeling only last a few seconds and then it's gone.

I still give credit to Valacyclovir and OPC and Lysine.

I have decided to keep using this Reserveage Grape Seed Extract 325 mg. I haven't been having stomach or toilet issues the last few days.

Right now my hearing is pretty good even though the tinnitus is very loud.

AS far as music and singing goes---I sing every day for about 4 hours. Usually an hour long session and up to 2 hour sessions. I also have band practice once a week for 2.5 hours. At band practice (loud rock) I wear an ear plug. Most of the other gigs are acoustic guitar, bass drum, hi-hat cymbals, harmonica and singing. Sometimes I get the kids singing loud and that's when I need an ear plug. If I'm the only one singing I don't need an ear plug.

I wear the ear plug because my ear gets fatigued and it takes an hour or so to get back to normal. Ear fatigue like when you go to a concert or football game and your ears are worn out for hours.

Maybe if you put in an ear plug when singing with the choir you will be alright. I hope so. There's great joy in singing with people.

19. vitolony

vitolony Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Do you have a similar problem in restaurants Santa? When I go out to eat, the ambient noise in a typical restaurant is very uncomfortable for me.

20. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I used to have lots of hearing issues with crowds, restaurants, etc. Now, my issues are not so bad. I used to have brain fog, loud weird noises in my ear and very hard of hearing. And, yes, vertigo and the dizzies.

I do carry an ear plug with me just in case I get into a noisy, disturbing situation. Mostly now because of ear fatigue.