1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

some questions about symptoms

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by candigrl63, Dec 13, 2015.

1. candigrl63

candigrl63 New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    so when you are having an attack, if you stay still do you still see the world spinning? i am trying to see if there is a difference in bbpv and menieres as far as the vertigo goes. see when i spin, if i keep my head still i am usually better as the spinning will either stop immediately or stop withing a few seconds. but as soon as i move my head, its spinning again. when you say your attack last for 4 hours, do you mean you see the world spinning for four hours or off and on for four hours? when does the fullness in the ear disappear? how do you know which ear is affected? my left gets full and tinnitis, but i spin when i turn onto my right side. when you say you put ativan under the tongue, is there an actual sublingual type of ativan? is meclizine useless during an attack of the spins? why do we have diarreah afterwards and during? doctor looked in my ears and did some type of pressure test. said no fluid and no pressure problem in ear. this is why he said its menieres. things still sound distorted. but i cant explain how things sound to the doc , or which ear is messing up the sound. its almost like the sound of speech vibrates ? i have never been able to keep my balance well at night. never been able to ride amusement park rides or ride in the back seat of a car. horrible nausea. i know its a lot of questions but thank you for your time.

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

positional vertigo is BPPV, Meniere's vertigo no matter what position you put your head if your spinning you will keep spinning until the attack is over which can be hours not stop and go.

There is a test to see which ear is affected by BPPV or MM. Checking your ears will not tell you anything about your inner ear or if crystals are dislodged(BPV)

http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo-bppv-exams-and-tests

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is diagnosed with a physical exam and your medical history. But diagnosing the cause of the spinning, whirling sensation of vertigo can be difficult. Several diseases, the side effects of medicines, and head injuries can also cause vertigo.

A Dix-Hallpike test may be done to help your doctor find out the cause of your vertigo. During this test, he or she will carefully observe any involuntary eye movements. This will help your doctor know whether the cause of your vertigo is inside your brain, your inner ear, or the nerve connected to your inner ear. The Dix-Hallpike test also can help your doctor find out which ear is affected.

If your symptoms or the results of your exam make your doctor think you don't have BPPV, other tests may be done:
    •Electronystagmography, which attaches small wires to your face that measure eye movements. It looks for the special eye movements that happen when the inner ear is stimulated. The pattern of eye movements can point to the location of the cause of the vertigo, such as the inner ear or the central nervous system.
    •Imaging tests, such as magnetic resonance imaging of the head (MRI) or computed tomography of the head (CT scan). These tests may be done if the symptoms and exam findings could be caused by a brain problem.
    •Hearing testing to detect hearing loss. A special hearing test can determine whether the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is working correctly. Hearing loss with vertigo usually points to a problem other than BPPV, such as Ménière's disease or labyrinthitis

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Dix-Hallpike test, also called the "Hallpike" is the definitive diagnostic test for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).

A person is brought from sitting to a supine position, with the head turned 45 degrees to one side and extended about 20 degrees backward. Once supine, the eyes are typically observed for about 30 seconds. If no nystagmus ensues, the person is brought back to sitting. There is a delay of about 30 seconds again, and then the other side is tested.

When doing the Dix-Hallpike on a flat table, it is often helpful to place a flat "boat" cushion under the persons back, to obtain head extension. One of these is illustrated below (in the mat-table illustration)

If the person has arthritis in their neck, the maneuver may be performed in side-lying position.

A positive Dix-Hallpike tests consists of a burst of nystagmus (jumping of the eyes). In classic posterior canal BPPV, the eyes jump upward as well as twist so that the top part of the eye jumps toward the down side.

4. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    When I have an attack, the whole world spins even if I stay still. The fullness and tinnitus in my ear has been continuous for 2 years. It is starting to lessen after 2 years now. Meclizine does not help my spins. My attacks are anywhere between 10 minutes to 2 hours. I spin the whole time and for some time after I feel wobbly when I turn my head. My doctor gave me balance and hearing tests- my left ear is the ear affected. My hearing has decreased in my left ear and I have lost over 60% of my balance in my left ear. That was determined by the testing. Somewhere I heard that you spin in the direction of your bad ear.

I have lots of wacky sounds in my affected ear and yes, sounds do vibrate in my bad ear sometimes. Sometimes loud noises make me dizzy.

The fact that you have had car sickness and can't ride on roller coasters might point to migraine associated vertigo. At one point my doc thought I had that and asked if I get car sick. I've never had car sickness before and I don't get sick on rides.

You might want to ask your doc to give you an ENG or a VNG to see how your balance is. It sounds like you've had a history of balance problems before the spins started.
    You'll get get lots of different answers to your questions because we're all different. This is an unpredictable and varying disease as I've come to find out. You'll find lots of great info and guidance here.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

meclizine never helped me with vertigo attacks. Only helped if I had sinusitis and felt dizzy (not vertigo) from it

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I agree with Cjbeau pertaining MAV. People with MAV and MM are prone to BPPV, so if we are "lucky" we can have all 3 UGH but at least BPPV is treatable as is MAV and MM with antivirals for many.

7. candigrl63

candigrl63 New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    so is the ear that has menieres the ear that is full?

8. Vicki

Vicki Guest

you won't know if you have MM until you get all the tests including an MRI, balance testing and the Dix-Hallpike.

9. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    When I get a vertigo attack, the room spins violently regardless of if I stay still. I stay still because it makes the nausea a bit less but the room is like a never-ending amusement park ride that is no longer fun, won't stop spinning and you can't get off. For hours without break.

10. Muff

Muff Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I take the regular antivan under the tongue. It dissolves with my saliva. There is not a sublingual antivan available.

11. candigrl63

candigrl63 New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    what type of doctor should i see? i saw an ent. i know there is another type that starts with an "O" . what is it?

12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

the best doctor for inner ear disorders is a neurotologist. Most ENT's are clueless about vestibular disorders.

13. chermcgr

chermcgr New Member

May 14, 2014
    To get my md dx I had a mri, balance test ECOG test. I take valium under my tongue and let it melt. I also use phenagran to help with nausea.