1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Doctor Good News

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BayMama, Jan 4, 2016.

1. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Over a year ago I brought up the idea of trying AVs to my ENT because of what I read on this board. She had heard of the treatment, but hadn't mentioned it to me herself, I think because it was new and not established. She gave me no hassle about trying it though. As she said, those drugs have very little side effects so there was no harm in trying. As many of you know the AVs were effective for me, reducing my aural fullness, changing my tinnitus to something much more manageable, reducing my dizziness, and restoring some of my hearing.

Currently my ENT is on maternity leave, so today I went to see another doctor. First a resident came into the room. He talked with me about the Valacyclovir as if he was familiar with it and credited it for improving my hearing. I paused at one point, and said I was so glad that he knew about that, because many doctors don't and won't try it. He said, that my usual ENT has been his teacher and is passing on her experience to him and the other residents.

Isn't that wonderful?! New doctors are learning about AVs for MM. I think this board may have had a part in that. May it help many people!

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

that's wonderful! thanks for sharing YAY :)

3. PattiD

PattiD Member

Dec 19, 2015
    That is great news! I hope more ENTs get the message.

4. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    That is good news that some doctors are open to trying. I think that is critical. Because since no doctor truly knows WHAT causes Meniere's therefore so many discount a viral connection. But that is not to necessarily say - in my mind - that Meniere's is caused by anything viral, just that for whatever reason in many people the antivirals seem to abate the symptoms.

A/V's for the symptoms are a completely different piece than anyone confirming that Meniere's is caused by viral issue. Otherwise more dr's will just "poo poo" the concept.

Since no one has figured out the WHY yet, if more dr's would be open to trying assorted things that "could" treat the symptoms that would be so awesome! Especially like your dr said, there is no major drawback to anti virals.

5. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    That's great! I'm going to try to get my PCP to prescribe them when I see her in a few weeks. I know that my otoneurologist isn't convinced about the viral theory.

6. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    One thing that I believe helped was showing her this article by Dr. Gacek: http://www.mm3admin.co.za/documents/docmanager/6e64f7e1-715e-4fd6-8315-424683839664/00056616.pdf.

For one thing, I know she appreciated some guidance about the doasge, which starts on the bottom of p. 103.