1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Sudden Extreme Quick Vertigo

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BayMama, Apr 2, 2016.

1. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I was playing a game with my family this morning. I was starting to feel like I might have vertigo and then suddenly the whole world rocked backwards and sideways. I screamed and held onto the table. It was quite dramatic for everyone. But in a few seconds it was over. I was not dizzy or spinning afterwards, but I do have a headache. Now it is turning into a migraine. So I'm thinking that was probably MAV. Could it have been MM though? Does that kind of thing happen to anyone who has MM not MAV? The more I type the more migrainey I feel so I'm thinking MAV now. I want to know which so I know how to help myself. This is no fun.

2. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    This has happened to me a few times before. With me, I think it's definitely Meniere's because there's no headache afterwards and I can usually just get along with my day.

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I would say MAV since a migraine is involved, usually migraines don't occur with Meniere's afaik. or it could be BPPV.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

btw BPPV and MAV are common to have at the same time.

5. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 Member

May 20, 2014
    I AGREE WITH VICKIE. I HAVE BOTH. I THINK YOUR SPELL WAS MIGRAIN. HOWEVER I KNOW TWO
    PEOPLE WITH MIGRAIN WHO NEVER GET A HEADACHE. SO GO FIGURE!! THESE TWO BEASTS CAN PRODUCE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS BUT ARE NOT REALLY RELATED.
    :(

6. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Sudden, extreme vertigo is really the only kind I experience. I have not had a true vertigo in 3 weeks.

7. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks, everyone.

Tdoak, do you think those episodes are MM or MAV? How long do they last and what happens after?

Dizzysheba01, I never used to get the headache with MAV but in the last year I do. I still have the headache.

8. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I do not think they are MAV related. They last only for a few seconds as I stare at an object immediately up close and the vertigo stops. I usually feel quite off balance for up to 2hrs after.

9. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    It could also be PLF or SCD. Get it tested.

10. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Scott Tom could you interpret those acronyms for me. I acronym challenged.

11. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    perilymph fistula and superior canal dehiscence.

http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/scd.htm

http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/fistula.html

They are rare, but worth testing for.

12. Vicki

Vicki Guest

given a headache or migraine was involved I would consider it being MAV/BPPV before anything else

13. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I used to get those violent , sudden vertigo attacks. They only lasted seconds but we're very intense. The only started in the last few months before the vertigo went away for good, so far. There was no headache after, just fatigue.

Maybe it's the beginning of the end? Let's hope.

Maggie

14. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    Blythebay, i would get these sudden short dizzy spells toward the end of a vertigo siege. I would count to 10 and they were generally gone by then. Afterwards i too would have fatigue and no headache, i havent had them in awhile since i have been on av and joh

15. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Don't try to self-diagnose. Go see an Otolaryngologist.
    Ask what the expert thinks it as and hopefully they'll run some tests and give you a definitive answer.

The stress of thinking you have any of these conditions is bad enough without adding all other things with similar symptoms into the equation.

We all want to research and try to "label" what we think we have and treat it with more research.
    Much better to get proper diagnosis and treatment.

16. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    BumbleBea (and others), it might have morphed into sounding like I was trying to self-diagnose, but I am already under the care of an ENT I like. I have had a lot of tests, ruling out some other things, and been diagnosed with MAV, MM, and BPPV. I just was trying to discern which caused that particular event.

I think the MAV was most likely. My main trigger for MAV is eyestrain. I am due for some new glasses. I also have Chemical Sensitivity, and when I looked back on some of these events I see that exposure to offgassing is a common theme, too.

17. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I apologize.
    I didn't want you to think you had other diagnosis without knowing for sure.
    The way you're doing it is fine but I'd start a journal to help categorize each episode then allowing you to avoid what triggers one or the other diseases.

I'm not so worried at self-diagnosing as seeing other diseases touted to explain symptoms without medical testing.

I get where you are now.

Take things slow.

18. Maggie

Maggie Guest

Bythebay,

Good to know you like your ENT. That is huge. It sounds like you are already on your way to figuring out your triggers. Chemical sensitivity is a hard one to avoid.

Good luck with continuing to work with your ENT to get it all sorted.

Maggie

19. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Bythebay I usually (not always though, but mostly)read peoples posts to see their history before answering, so I knew you were diagnosed with MAV MM and BPPV, that's why I felt comfortable saying it sounded like MAV more than MM.

20. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    BytheBay - I have had a few of those episodes. I do not have MAV (or at least ever diagnosed for it). Each of them were what I considered "violent" starts - physically moved me, extreme fast spin but short in duration. For me though, even though that went away quickly - in each instance within 24 hours I had a "typical" Meniere's attack.

I also had a couple of the sudden somersault vertigo attacks - those were the worst. Had no idea what was up or down. Horrible. Sad to say but if I had to "pick" I will take the merry-go-round on crack vertigo vs the somersault. Course if I could choose...I would choose NEITHER! ;D

I also had read and realized that you were under a dr care and just asking for other's opinions. I highly recommend and support that because listening to some drs I believe we would all suffer longer and think we were crazy. Some dr's don't agree that brain fog is connected, or the ear pressure is "that" bad....thankfully this board is filled with people that in a lot of cases I would consider more of an expert of Meniere's than those with degrees. :D