1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dizzy after MRI?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Keefer Soc Muffin, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Keefer Soc Muffin

Keefer Soc Muffin Member

Dec 15, 2015
    UK
    I have to have an MRI scan on Monday. After reading this online I'm a little concerned.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2040946/MRI-scans-CAN-make-dizzy-Magnetic-fields-disrupt-fluid-inner-ear.html

I last had one about seventeen years ago and don't remember feeling dizzy at the time, but then it was quite early on in my MM.

Has anyone here experienced this dizziness ?

2. serbian

serbian Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I have had a total of four MRI scans so far, and never felt uncomfortable during and after it.

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Keefer I read a study/article on another Meniere's forum about MRI magnets may help treat inner ear disorders.
    I had 2 MRI's one of the brain and one on my back but never felt dizzy afterward, just claustrophobic LOL

4. Keefer Soc Muffin

Keefer Soc Muffin Member

Dec 15, 2015
    UK
    Thanks serbian and Vicki, that's very reassuring! I'm not keen on confined spaces either but I'll cope with it a lot easier knowing I won't necessarily spin while in one lol.

5. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I did not feel dizzy during or after my MRI, but it was a very tight fit. I remember my family doctor offering me meds to relax me before the scan. I did not take up on it.

6. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    MRIs are tricky in that if you're stressed about it the stress may cause you to experience vertigo.
    I usually take what they give you to relax you otherwise my mind goes nuts.
    If they'll let you, use wax plugs, (the kind they use for kids swimming) that helps muffle the sounds.
    If it's going to happen, worrying about it now will only make it worse.
    Just have someone with you. If you have a plan you may feel better.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.

7. Vicki

Vicki Guest

keefer there is an important fact in that article that may ease your mind

As participants underwent MRI scans, the researchers looked for an effect called nystagmus, an involuntary eye movement that reflects the brain's detection of motion.

The effect was seen in all healthy volunteers undergoing scans, but not those with the inner ear disorder

:)

8. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I had an MRI during my MM days and did not feel dizzy. I don't like confined spaces, and I found a place with what is called an "open MRI." See if you can find a place with an open MRI. I think they are getting more common.

9. Cambur

Cambur New Member

Apr 26, 2016
    I just had an MRI yesterday and did not feel dizzy at all. I was a little nervous I would because I had such a bad attack the night before and still felt very "off". I did take a 2 mg Valium beforehand because I am very claustrophobic. As long as I close my eyes the entire time I am in there, I do OK with claustrophobia. Also, they piped in music to earphones so that really helped relax me as well. I've had a couple of MRI's in the past when I first started losing my hearing and never experienced any dizziness with those either.

Hope everything goes well for you on Monday.

10. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I did get dizzy after my first MRI. After my second one I didn't have any dizziness.

11. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    I generally do not get dizzy, but don't forget you are lying down. If you have BPPV or even the Meniere's can play havoc with where you are in space and cause dizziness plus the banging even with music can affect the inner ear. Just my experience and opinion.

12. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Keefer Soc Muffin, we haven't heard an update from you, and your MRI was to be a few days ago. Hope all went well. The people on this forum are great - like a big family who truly understand the good and bad that vestibular problems bring to our lives.

13. Halos

Halos Member

May 21, 2014
    I did not like my MRI I had to ask for help as I can get claustrophobic very easily. They put me in a tube, very tight space and I could not move at all.

I hope you are doing well.

Trisha

14. Keefer Soc Muffin

Keefer Soc Muffin Member

Dec 15, 2015
    UK
    Thanks to all for your replies and helpful info, it was much appreciated. I had the scan and didn't feel dizzy :) I expected to be in there for about half an hour but the scans took under 10 minutes so now just waiting for the results.
    The ENT just wants to rule our anything 'nasty' though I'm not sure why. I had an MRI years and years ago to rule out anything 'nasty', so if it wasn't the cause off my Vertigo then I can't see how it would be the cause of it now!
    Vicki I did see that bit in the article but wasn't sure if the same would apply to all inner ear disorders or just specific ones, though I'm guessing you're probably right!