1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Loud roaring like furnace or clothes dryer inside my head!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yanksgirl, May 13, 2016.

1. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I can hear but 'over the loud roaring'! I have had every type of tinnitus since developing Meniere's in 2008! This is new over the last 4 or 5 weeks. I notice it sometimes at night when I put my head down on my good ear, so I really can't hear outside noises unless they are really loud. And lately, it's happening when we leave the house, then come back inside. Tonight it happened and still sounds like the furnace does when it's running or the a/c or if I were in the basement--the dryer going.
    My husband says he can't hear it, then he'll listen really well and say it's a lawn mower or the traffic from the highway about a mile away from us or he tries to help by saying it's not just me--but outside noise and to pay no attention to it. Well, I can't block it out--as it does affect how I hear other things--like him talking, the TV, etc. But--it's strange that it's there for awhile sometimes hours, and other times when folks are mowing outside etc. I can distinguish that---mowers have a definite sound as do planes, etc. This is as I described and I remember my Mother--also having Meniere's, saying her head had this loud roaring going on--and she'd excuse herself because she couldn't understand us when we talked to her. Said it made her nervous. This has only been going on for about 6 weeks or so and I've noticed some mild 'room movements' too so doctor has me back on Valium for a couple of weeks. I intend to tell him about this but wondered if anyone here has this happen to them and if so--do you know what is causing it? thanks :)

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Are you taking any benzodiazepines? They are known to cause tinnitus.

3. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    Indeed the "sounds from within" can make voice recognition difficult. The VA has kept me outfitted with some decent hearing aides (VA were the ones that suggested I go to Mayo clinic to figure out what was wrong)

Not much you can do except roll with it. My noise varies and has several levels of tones. Without hearing aides I can't hear anything except the sounds my head generates.

So enjoy your own private circus, concerts (rock or otherwise) are a thing of the past, except the "circus music" in our heads.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    This is similar to what i had when the distortion was bad. It was especially bad in big box stores like walmart where it seemed like i could hear low pitched fans and motors that no one else noticed. I also picked up on echos of voices (usually mens) off window panes etc. I also had the roaring tinnitus at this time all the time. All this went away for me with a month or so of the antivirals.

5. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Sounds like we have had similar issues--most of us. Thanks for you input. Yes, I do take Xanax and recently a Valium at bedtime--and supposed to in the morning--but trying to ease up to that. My Ent prescribed it due to the recent development of the 'room moving symptoms' and told me to try the Valium for two weeks. Then let him know how I'm doing. Today, for some reason I've had extreme anxiety and depression. Woke up feeling that way and while outside--and it was cool--talking to a neighbor, my legs began to shake and I began to tremble all over--scared me, had to come inside and lay down awhile. Hubby wanted to take me to E.R. but I know it's just anxiety due to all this and really nothing to do. Took my usual 1/2 dose of Xanax, had a good cry and now trying to be busy. That helps. The only thing I did differently--last night, was take a 3 mg. of Melatonin--and I've never taken it before to help me sleep well. Many folks take it so I thought, instead of taking an Ambien--which I do on occasion, I'd do that. Wondering if I had a reaction to that? Anyone taken it and had adverse reaction to it? I don't plan to take it anymore until I see if I'm ok in the morning. Of course, anxiety/depression go with this as you all know and this week, along with having a 'virus' to deal with, I've had bad head issues. So--on it goes. Thanks for listening.

6. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    Yanksgirl, i have had freight train tinnitus. Worse that i ever had the acyclovir stopped it about 3 weeks after starting. I thought i was losing my mind. Started valacyclovir---northstar brand 5 days ago due to fullness starting again, it is starting to help a little now, also have been on vitamin b12 that JOH recommended for 3 weeks but i understand that might take longer. Are you on antivirals? I feel for you as it is awful!

7. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Anti virals didn't help me--but I do take Vit. B-12. Yes, I remember when I had every type of tinnitus one could have. Thought I'd 'lose it' at times. After the shunt surgery, I still have tinnitus but until recently hardly affected me. This sound is as I described--like the furnace kicking on or the dryer running right next to me but I realize it's 'in my head'. This morning it's gone but the level of anxiety from all this going on of late has me in a really 'down time'. And feeling unusually dizzy with head pressure and occasional 'movement feeling' inside my head. Since no vertigo since 2012 when I had the surgery, this has made me 'more anxious' and I know that stress makes things worse. So, it's a domino effect. I know you and others here certainly understand. I'm really hoping tomorrow is a 'better day'. Thanks for your input: nroper :)

8. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    Prayers your way for better days. We are gettng a new acupuncturist here in my small town in about a month and i am going to try that again. My previous guy that was helping me so much w the dry needling and upper cervical spine treatment, it was actually starting to help the tinnitus when he was killed in a road rage incident before Christmas and after that it got worse until i started acyclovir. I dont know all that you have tried but have you used valtrex yet?

9. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, and 12 sessions with a really highly regarded acupuncture doctor too! That was awhile back. He finally told me he couldn't help me--and didn't want to keep taking my money--and I really appreciated that! I took some herbal drinks he prepared too--and he really worked with me. I'd highly recommend him to anyone, because he has had success with alot of conditions, including Meniere's patients--just not with me. We are all different in how we respond to treatment it seems.

10. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    So true! Hopefully your bad spell will get better. I know ever since allergy season started my ears have been extremely full so i am hoping that gets better.