1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Help! Moving to an area of high elevation

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by larrowm5, Sep 3, 2016.

1. larrowm5

larrowm5 New Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Hi all, I am completely new to this whole forum thing but have done a solid amount of research in these forums and have found them to be quite helpful! A brief history first, my name is Logan and I am currently 20 years old and was diagnosed with MD when I was 16. I was living in Ohio at the time of my diagnosis and it started with dizziness and mild vertigo spells for the first few months, then things took a turn. I started getting violent vertigo spells on a pretty regular basis and developed a horribly loud ringing in my right ear, as a result I missed a lot of school. Luckily my mom was very understanding as she had an MD diagnosis in the past, but she has not had any symptoms since a few years prior to me being born. So my doctor sent me to an ENT and he gave me the typical recommendations of a low sodium diet and put me on a diuretic, which had no effect whatsoever. So after living with my regular vertigo spells for some time, I researched online different forms of treatment and stumbled onto the world of supplementation. After playing around with many different supplements for quite some time, I was able to break my routine of regular vertigo spells. As you can imagine I was greatly relieved but knew that this wasn't over as it had no effect on my tinnitus and I would still get vertigo just with longer periods in between attacks. I have been living with that for quite some time and have noticed that my attacks are much more likely to come on when I am feeling stressed, and even though I make it a point to exercise daily I am not very good at managing my own stress levels. Anyhow, at the start of 2016 I moved with my mom down to southeast Georgia since she had to relocate for work. Since being down here I have noticed that more often than before, I still get my vertigo spells every so often and my constant tinnitus, but in my periods in between I get these slight feelings of dizziness that usually last for 3-4 days. They aren't debilitating but still suck to deal with. 2 weeks ago I was battling the dizziness and could not shake it for about 5 days so I started looking at these forums and found the JOH regime. Upon reading what John had to say and a few testimonials, I ordered all of the supplements he has listed. I started with Lysine for the first week then introduced the lemon bioflavanoids the next week and have also added in the Vinpocetine 2 days ago, while sticking to the same supplements I've been using for a couple years now. I have to say since adding in his supplements I have not had the dizziness and the tinnitus in my right ear has been fluctuating but at times has been the lowest I can remember it being. I will continue to stick to his regime and add in the rest of the supplements in time. But back to my original point, 3 days ago I found out that my mom has now been selected for a new job in Colorado and we will be moving there in mid December. I am incredibly excited about this move because my dad, who is still in Ohio, will be moving to an area an hour and half away from where my mom will be. However, the thought crossed my mind that the higher elevation (6000+ ft) could have an effect on my MD symptoms. I did some research and have found a lot of mixed results on the effect it has ranging from it made things better right away, it made things worse right away and for some it had no effect. Where I was at in Ohio had an elevation of just over 1000 ft and where I am at now in Georgia is right at sea-level. I have made the drive to and from Ohio and Georgia 7 times since moving and through the hills of the Virginias, I'm not sure of the elevation in those areas, but it did not effect me negatively other than the fact I had to pop my ears a couple times so I know the elevation was higher. I was wondering if anybody has made the move from an area of low elevation to an area of high elevation and the effects it had on them? And if it does happen to effect me negatively right away, am I likely to return to my current state when I acclimate to the new elevation? Any insight or knowledge of such moves would help a lot! Thank you and I look forward to being a part of these forums!

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I can only say what my own experience was and that was when i was at high elevations in the mountains, i was almost symptom free. I assume this would not have lasted forever but it did last for a few days on vacation. I have cochlear hydrops w/o vertigo but the disease is the same jusf different part of the ear. My ear dr told me what we all know, that the ears are very pressure sensitive and how fish know their depth.

Antivirals and allergy treatments resolved most of my symptoms permanently, fortunately and this is no longer an issue.

3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I, too, can only speak from personal experience... Please understand that this disease is so unique to each individual. I've had MD for 5 years now, and during that time moved from the Midwest, to the east coast for one year, and then to Colorado for 3 years now. During the 5 years, my condition has gradually gotten worse BUT there was no sudden change with the move to high altitude. And also on the bright side, I mostly have the vertigo component under control now -- I've been taking a diuretic and betahistine but tried other things previously. Vertigo is extremely infrequent now BUT I've lost a big chunk of hearing in the affected ear and deal with bad fullness, tinnitus, and dizziness on a daily basis.

Last year I did get a short vertigo episode when we drove up to the top of Pikes Peak, but we also travel for skiing and hiking on other mountains and I haven't gotten hit then.

4. dolfan

dolfan Member

May 20, 2014
    Miami
    Colorado is beautiful. Been there twice. To cold for me, but I love the state.