1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question on low sodium diet and iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MapleStreet, Aug 19, 2017.

1. MapleStreet

MapleStreet New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Hi - have any of you on a low sodium diet developed an iodine deficiency? I'm taking 12.5 mgs of hctz a day and adhering to a very low sodium diet. I also have celiac so I bake my own cookies/muffins/etc and omit the salt from everything I bake. And I don't add salt to anything else I eat such as vegetables, rice, chicken. I've been eating like this for the last 8 years with the exception of a short time when I went off the diuretic and back on the salt as an experiment. I ended up having 2 vertigo attacks in that month so quickly went back to lo-sodium.

I've noticed a lot of hair loss over the last year or two and finally did a web search and came across the connection between hair loss and iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism. Something like this never even occurred to me and the more I read the more connections I see with other unexplained symptoms I am having - like everything is clicking into place. I know there are sources of iodine other than iodized salt but most of those I don't eat (seafood, dairy, cranberries, baked potato).

My TSH is checked every year and falls within the "normal" range but what exactly is normal varies from doctor to doctor and some doctors would find mine to be not normal. It has been steadily rising for the last few years and if it continues to rise it will be abnormal before long. No other thyroid levels are checked so they could very well be off and I don't even know it.

I'm going to a cardiologist soon because of my high cholesterol (another one of my unexplainable symptoms) and I'm going to ask him about this, hopefully he will be able and willing to check my thyroid levels. Meanwhile just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I am unable to be of service in this matter.

3. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I am on a very low sodium diet, under 500mg daily, which most of you know it not easy to do. I have certainly lost a lot of weight on this diet (which was needed), but gave not experienced any issues as you have referenced.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Why.. Does it help? Is your bp normal? The hydrops diet as explained to me was about 1500 mg spread evenly throughout the day. The spread evenly was important. When my wodium accidentally got very low i was in danger of passing out and had to eat more salt. Low sodium diet never d.id anything for my symptoms though i am not a big salt eater naturally.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good idea to ask the dr. Are all these symptoms since you went low sodium? Have you made any other changes at about the same time, especially yhings that could effect hormone balances?

6. MapleStreet

MapleStreet New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Most of my weird symptoms (the ones possible related to an iodine deficiency/hypothyroid, not vertigo related ones) developed slowly over the last 2-4-6 years, all a couple years after starting the diuretic and low sodium. My PCP has been of very little help with any of this which is why I insisted on seeing a cardiologist before taking statins.

I'm probably eating close to 1000 mgs of sodium a day. My sodium levels always test normal, it's the lack of iodine that has me concerned.

7. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I eat under 500mg daily of sodium and find it lessons the vertigo attacks. My sodium levels are within the normal range when I get tested. Amazon tribes and other groups have lived and thrived on a lot less per day.

8. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I too had wondered if I was getting enough iodine because I think my main source was iodized salt. I'll be interested to read this thread. I have also wondered if I had symptoms of hypothyroidism because I've had fatigue, minor hair loss but I have fibromyalgia and I think graying/coloring my hair has changed it from thick and shiny to thinner, coarse and dull.
    I'm going to search for info. on iodine. I like cleveland and mayo clinic sites. There is so much misinformation on the net. :(

9. MapleStreet

MapleStreet New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Marie - agreed, there is a lot of misinformation on the web, very confusing. I think if you look hard enough you can find anything you want.

When I told my doctor about my concerns with hair loss he just laughed and said "look at me." Not helpful at all, he's male and I'm female. I should not be losing mine like this.

My intake of iodized salt is pretty close to zero. In the last 6-7 years I'v probably consumed in iodized salt what most people consume in 4 days, if that much. My understanding is that by law salt added to any kind of processed food (sold in stores/bakeries/etc) cannot let iodized unless it's marked that way.

How long have you been eating low sodium?

I'll keep you updated as to what my cardiologist says on Friday.

10. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I've only been on a low sodium diet for 5 and a half months. I plan to eat shellfish and potatoes in an attempt to get iodine. I hope others weigh in on this. I read that seaweed is a good source of iodine but i didn't look up the sodium content.
    I hope you find the answers that will improve your health.

11. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Also I eat eggs and yogurt which I read contain iodine.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    MS, look at everything you have changed including meds as well. I remember Vicki talking about hair loss which i think she suspected was related to antivirals. I dont remember her final conclusion. Maybe it is thyroid but it is good to keep the big picture, it might be something that you wouldnt guess.

13. MapleStreet

MapleStreet New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Marie - yogurt is an excellent source of iodine and 1 container will give you 1/3 - 1/2 of your daily requirements so keep on eating it. In fact all dairy is a good source of this. Unfortunately, I eat very little dairy because it does unhappy things to my intestines.

I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he didn't understand the connection between iodine deficiency and thyroid and high cholesterol and because I'm terrible at explaining things when I'm in a doctor's office that conversation went nowhere and I ended up very frustrated as I usually do after any doctor visit. Kind of reminded me of the doctor's visit with a neurotologist when my vertigo was at its worst. I got a copy of the letter he sent to my doctor and it said I saw him for dizziness and disequilibrium; and I have NO signs of meniere's (even though my main symptom was SEVERE hour's long vertigo in which I was totally incapacitated and couldn't move my head a millimeter without it becoming much worse.) Sorry but doctors really annoy me sometimes.

June - I've tried figuring what else could be causing my hair loss but am clueless. Having a doctor who won't acknowledge this is not helping at all. I'm so frustrated. For months I've been"crying" to my sisters "something is wrong, I don't know what, but I just don't feel right, I wish I could get a doctor to listen to me." When I read of the iodine deficiency/thyroid/high cholesterol link everything seemed to fall into place (except getting a doctor to listen.) And I don't want to go to a holistic, natural doctor. The one's around here like to sell their special bottle of vitamins that cost $$$$$$.

Thank you for listening!! :)

14. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    MS
    Sometimes I bring things in writting to the Dr. to prompt me when I feel hurried and anxious.
    So sorry that you didn't get help. I've also experienced frustration when I don't feel right, don't know what's wrong and haven't found the right professional to help. I think that the AV I'm on has alleviated my fatigue which makes me wonder if the fatigue was caused by a virus but I rarely have anything with caffiene so I'm off that vicious cycle.
    Some people must take iodine supplements. I can't remember if you do.
    On this site I've seen posts to the effect that some people persue many professionals til they get the help that they need so I hope you're is coming soon.

15. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I have been low sodium for three years now.... I stay between 1000-1400 mg a day - trying to spread it mostly even throughout the day. I started seeing a naturopath back in March and she has made some adjustments to my diet - one of them being iodine supplements. She said my blood pressure was too low....She added more minerals to my diet and more vegetables which I def wasn't eating enough of - and she also cut OUT my dairy - as soon as I did all that I noticed the ringing in my ear went down dramatically and I haven't had a vertigo attack since March. The longest period I have gone without one in years. I also have a ton more energy and no brain fog. Whatever she is doing is working for me and my ENT is on board with it and encourages me to do whatever helps me feel better. He is pretty awesome.

16. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Meant to add that I am also off of 4 of the 5 meds I was taking - one of which was the hydrochlorothizide. I haven't taken that since April. I feel less "toxic" I guess.