1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Lack of stereo hearing is not fun

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BayMama, Sep 8, 2017.

1. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    (Caveat: I know I'm lucky to have hearing at all, and that is not lost on me.)

This lack of being able to place things by hearing can be disconcerting and dangerous. Sometimes it is maybe a bit cartoonish when I hear a "hello!" and my head starts spinning in all directions. I've learned I have to be super careful crossing streets.

But today was a new one. I was walking my dog and heard a very strange sound, and I had no idea where it was coming from. At first it sounded like person making a combination of a scream and a moan. Soon I realized that it was just a dog with an unusual bark. But to hear that weird noise and not know where it was coming from was unnerving.

Just wanted to share with some folks that might understand.

2. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I have this too! No sense of what direction noise is coming from. I also hear noises and think "what is THAT?" and my family tells me. It's usually an airplane or dog barking. Sometimes things sound wacky.

3. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I would think that this is a problem many of us have. When my bad is ear is really bad, it sounds like most noise is coming from my right side. It's obvious worse when outside. It can definitely throw you off and I imagine dangerous in some circumstances (e.g. a car approaching from a direction other than where you think it sounds like it is coming from).

4. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I can also never tell where the direction of sound is coming from - My right ear is the one with the hearing loss.... Just this morning I was walking across to our service dept at our dealership and one of the sales guys was calling me and I had no idea where he was - he had to come up to me directly. Frustrating to say the least - but I am able to laugh now... This disease sure is no fun.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I totally get it. I've been deaf on my right side for 20 years and I mainly miss the ability to echo locate. At first it drove m crazy because I truly believed every sound i heard came from the left. Finally, i made myself stop and think so as not to get hit by a car but i still really miss it and hate turning around like a search light trying to figure out where sounds come from. I have also had a trouble making out non speech sounds like planes, motors, fans, thunder for some reason since i lost the one ear.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    And people, including my husband! Answer my question 'where are you? ' with 'over here' multiple times. I swear i am going to sit down and let them find me.

7. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    My BF laughs at me because I will yell to him in the living room from the kitchen and he won't bother to answer me anymore because he knows I can't hear him anyway - after 9,000 times of him answering and me saying " what"?? he just stopped - lol

8. I can't hear in my left ear at all. I have no clue where sounds are coming from. I just got a new iPhone a couple of weeks ago. My teenage nephew, knowing I don't have stereo, decided to help me out by relieving me of my headphones! I can never tell if my neighbors upstairs are just being a heard of elephants, or if there is a thunderstorm. Both scenarios are equally likely where I live. I miss hearing my favorite songs the way they, "should" sound...

9. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks for the commiserating/sharing your stories.

That's interesting that this non-stereo thing makes certain kinds of sounds difficult to identify. We had thunder today (which is rare where I live), and I had to check with others to confirm what it was.

And I sure know what you mean, June, about family members answering "Where are you?" with "over here." I'm trying to train them out of it, but I can see how they forget. I answer, "I don't know where "here" is!"

10. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I get this distortion from time to time. It is very weird and I look around to try and find the sound which is usually in front of me. Most days I have the weirdest sensation for deep bases and drums. It is like the sound is deep in my head and vibrating uncontrollably. Some days I don't have this. It is getting better for me.

11. Rod

Rod New Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I also have loss of stereo hearing. It causes me no end of problems. I can only watch TV with sub titles - no sound, as speech is so garbled. Music is an absolute no-no. When my wife has the washing machine on it sounds like people talking loudly. I often have to be in a separate room from my wife so that we each can get peace. I also hear the loud beat of my heart pumping blood through my body all the time. Also I now I get very loud explosion noises in my head which send a shudder through my body. Anyone else get these?

12. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I get this distortion from time to time. It is very weird and I look around to try and find the sound which is usually in front of me

I can relate. I can be sitting at the dinner table, hear something and say "what was that"? I usually get funny looks and know that there was no noise except for that inside my head.