1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Visit to my Neuro-Otologist and Update (Epley Canalith Repositioning Maneuver)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jimmy Alvin, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    After four months of steroids and a tube in my left ear, I went back to the Doctor on Thursday. She removed the tube and I had my hearing tested. Very good results as my hearing and word recognition improved significantly, but still under the moderately severe hearing loss category. However, my hearing recognition went from 75 to 96 percent! Of course, I still have some sound distortion, bad tinnitus, and short dizzy spells at unpredictable times. She then told me she wanted to try the Epley-Canalith repositioning procedure to see if my dizziness at night (when I turn over or move my head) could be improved. The procedure was pretty bad and I started spinning from right to left severely. I almost threw up and had some trouble having the dizziness stop, even when I sat up. I immediately got this horrific headache during the procedure which I still have, even though I wore the neck brace for two days and tried not to move a lot. I still have the headache. I was told if things don't improve (with dizziness and loud tinnitus) to come back in two weeks. If the headache doesn't leave me, I will be back there--so frustrating. I have two questions, why didn't I have this procedure when I first saw her, and why the headache immediately after the procedure, which I cannot shake? She ended my visit by telling me I had a very difficult and complex illness and symptoms. That didn't make me feel well, but I am optimistic because of the improvements...which I think are due to the anti-virals....I haven't told her I am taking them. I was told the procedure may have to be done several times......will I have more of these long-term headaches?

2. Hiro

Hiro Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Jimmy, your dizziness at moving your head is typically BPPV and that is why the doctor tried Epley's procedure. Epley's procedure WILL start spinning for a few minutes and it is a part of the process to gradually dissolve otoconia or ear stone. Your headache is another story which may be particular to your condition - could be related to your perilymph fistula. Not many doctors have ample experience with perilymph fistula, so finding the right one would be important.

Good to hear that you have removed the tube, as steriods can only expand playground for herpes. I recommend keeping away from steriods.

Neck braces are generally not suitable for Meniere's disease and it may quickly weaken muscles which may adversely affect the condition. I would rather recommend stretch exercises on the neck.

3. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Update: I still have the headache but less dizziness today, but ears still roaring and ringing. I am getting scared about having a pretty bad headache for this long..... (three days now).

4. Good luck, Jimmy. What you're experiencing sounds agonizing, even if it's getting better, so I hope you find some relief soon.

5. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Jimmy--I know what you mean by feeling dizzy after the epley maneuver.

When I went to 'balance therapy' two separate times, the very good therapist--wanted to 'rule out' BPV (benign positional vertigo). He did the maneuver on me and I did seem to have it but not really bad--yet!.

Since I've had BPV several years ago--before Meniere's, I knew what he was trying to determine. He gave me the exercises to do at home and I'd get dizzy for the first few days and then began to ease and so that 'took care' of that problem. I completed 4 weeks of balance therapy and he just gave me 'tips' to use for balance at home.
    I saw my Ent--my hearing is very poor--but was told the Meniere's has 'leveled off'--won't get better (probably) but no worse either. So, I hear poorly even with very good hearing aids. Some days do seem to be better than others. But hearing is either too loud and distorted or not loud enough--but I have developed a sensitivity to 'loud' anything.

He called it 'recruitment' or hyperacusis issues. I have 'dizziness a good deal of the time when I'm upright, but manage to walk good as I focus on a 'spot' to look out at and sometimes hold my husband's arm or hand--just touching something or someone when I walk helps.

Not leaning or pulling on them, just touching. No cane helps. When I tried that I actually did better holding it in my right hand to balance rather than leaning on it--strange but true. Just part of my ongoing story. Hang in there--we all are doing our best.

6. Just part of my ongoing story. Hang in there--we all are doing our best.
    [/quote]

Isn't that the truth?!

7. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Yanksgirl.....I know exactly what you are saying. Sometimes trying to find logic and causal factors with this illness is so frustrating and difficult-the key is just trying to make it through the best we can. I went to the fridge last night and pulled on the handle and almost fell over with dizziness, and then it went away. All of this just pisses me off! I am gland my ENT told me that my illness is complex and difficult. It is the first time she has said this, and boy do I know it.

8. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Complex--is a good word to describe this condition for sure! So many are really having difficult times and some of us have 'been there too'!

I am dealing mostly with hearing loss--very troubling due to being among friends, family a good deal. Not being comfortable with various conversations going at once. And the loss of really 'hearing and loving' the music that always gave joy and comfort--has been a big side effect of this condition that 'hurts' the most. But some days are better than others and I just try to enjoy or 'pretend to do so'. As we all do! Hanging in 'together'! :)