1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meneiers and Fatigue

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by robbitl, Oct 14, 2017.

1. robbitl

robbitl New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    I have had menieres for 20+ years. I recently have been going to Jacksonville Balance and Hearing Institute. Dr. Green is head a neurtology at Mayo. I have been very pleased. I have been five months since an attack and had a full blown attack yesterday morning. I will be going to the doctor on Monday to see what is going on. They put me on Clonozipam at night. .5 milligrams. My question is I have been so fatigued for no apparent reason and curious how many of you work? I had gentimicin toxicity and it has also caused Oscillopsia. Would like to know your thoughts. I am weary and off every day. Could not tell you the last time I have felt great.

Terry

2. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Terry,

The conazepam can make you feel sedated. I think our bodies work over time trying to overcome the effects of Menieres. I, too, have had this for 20 years and the fatigue was at its worst when I was working.

Since I’m retired the attacks are fewer and the fatigue is manageable. I think there is a connection to the stress this disease brings and the fatigue.

Are you taking the clonazepam daily, or as needed?

I hope your appointment with your doctor on Monday will get you some answers.

3. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Do you mean you had gent injections as a treatment for mm? If so, how long ago? I have heard occlipsia can get better with rehab/walking after gent. Could fatigue be a side effect of the script? I am having active symptoms right now too, woke up to spins this am. Sorry you are going through this.

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Meniere's and fatigue? May as well say fatigue and Meniere's. To me they're almost one and the same.

Don't mean to be short and flippant, but umm, I'm really freakin tired...

5. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Hi Terry,

The reason you're feeling so fatigued is due to the Meniere's effects on the brain. Meniere's
    is not just an ear issue, but even more is a neurological issue.

The inner ear is sending all kinds of wacky info to the brain cells, and in turn the brain
    is working triple-overtime trying to decipher and translate those electrical impulses
    into sounds and/or motions. The "brain drain" from an active Meniere's ear is tremendous,
    and can wear you out even if you're just sitting around.

Clonazepam (Valium derivative) is only going to make you even more fatigued.

Meniere's. like epilepsy, is episodic, and can lay dormant for an indeterminate
    amount of time, and then just rear it's ugly head once again.

I've lived with Meniere's for most of my life, and IMHO it is much more of a neurological
    issue than a otological one.

6. Yep. All roads lead to Rome.

Don't lose heart! You're in good company. Many of us struggle with fatigue.

7. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I don't take any benzos but I have felt tired for about 26 years about the time I first noticed off and on hearing deficit in my left ear. Fast forward 2? years, I was dx with MM. Not working now and I pace myself. I have some sedentary hobbies; reading, needlework and crafting.
    Best of luck to everyone here. I find this disease a challenge.

8. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Ummm...that's not what I said, but it is indeed factual.

I'm not upset, but please don't quote my post and then edit it to
    reflect your own thoughts. Thanks.

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's so weird Autumn. Why would you do that? LOL.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I didn't even know you could do that. Weird.

11. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I think a major source of the fatigue is the quiet extra work our brains are constantly doing to balance and strain to hear.

For me, one of the huge benefits of being on the antivirals is that the fatigue has greatly reduced. I think that is because for me it solved the balance issue. I also no longer have that constant nagging nausea slight dizziness (at best).

12. Hi Mike!
    I do apologize. Rest assured, I have no desire to do as you describe, but obviously, that's what happened! I'm gifted.

13. You guys both know me well enough to realize that I leave no unintended consequence unturned‍♀️

14. robbitl

robbitl New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Thank you all for your support. I am curious as to how many of you have had to retire due to Menieres? Or disability. My doctor has cut my work hours to six hours a day. She wanted to cut to 4 but I have to work 6 to get my benefits. Just trying to tread water here and manage. Not doing a good job lately.

15. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    For a while I had a small number of hours in a day when I could be productive. Getting on anti-virals supported by a subset of the John of Ohio regime got me my energy back, and I am able to contribute to my family again--through part-time work, parenting, and house care.

16. robbitl

robbitl New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Thank you, I just hate the constant feeling of being off and then the fatigue at the end of an 8 hour workday is really getting to me. I work come home and crash. Trying to figure out to have a more active life. I am only 52 years old and have 4 grand children. I want to be able to see and play with them. Just really tired of this whole MM!

Terry

17. I'm ::ahem:: almost 40...and at first I drove myself into the ground trying to do everything just like I did before I became so sick. Bottom line: My body now says,"no," at times. It doesn't matter what age you are, or how fit and physically active you were before you became ill. It's a disease. You do the best you can day-by-day. Once I learned to accept this, then I could start living a more productive life based around what I am NOW capable of accomplishing, when I am capable of accomplishing anything. The hardest part for me has been feeling like I let people down now because I was such a, "go getter," before this disease took a strangle-hold.

18. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Autumn - have you seen an increase in ablility to function and commit to future plans with your surgery?

19. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Meniere's is exhausting - even when I am feeling "good" I am still fatigued... I just literally have to push thru it or I would never get anything done.... If I am particularly exhausted I will try to take a nap when I get home from work - just lay down for a half hour - I try to take a nap or sleep in on the weekends.... Valium helps if I feel like I might be getting dizzy - sometimes I can stave it off sometimes not.... But it doesn't make ME personally any more or less fatigued than I am daily.

20. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    " Just trying to tread water here and manage. Not doing a good job lately."

This one hits close to home Robbitl. I leave for work at 4AM, return home around 5:30PM. I am down to 999 days till my target retirement date. But who's counting? Meniere's is what made me set a hard date. My youngest also graduates a few months prior.

"Tread Water", just a little while longer.