1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Need some inspiration...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's a good point. And makes me want to get on anti-virals pronto.

However, I've always been hesitant to add variables to an experiment. And my surgery could be seen as an experiment. If I start the anti-virals now, I won't know if it was the surgery, or the antivirals that helped.

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Who cares which one it is? The goal is to make it stop, not prove a hypothesis.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I agree completely .... in theory. When i started antivirals with my family dr we both knew it was an experiment and i was actually very reluctant to try them because i am the queen of side effects. At the same time i had used eye drops for suspect glaucoma on the left eye, the side of my meniere starting a few months before the appearance of hydrops. I hemhawed around with the rx for acyclovir in my ourse for weeks until my husband said 'what are you waiting for!' I took them and in 5 days, i began to see a faint intermittent change. But two weeks earlier, i had -out of a fit of something- abruptly stopped the eyedrops. My doctor had specifically urged me to do only one change at a time and i completely get the scientific method.

Within a month of starting the acyclovir i judged i had a 60% improvement and was kind of stuck there, but it was enough to be life changing for me.

Then i read of anecdotal reports that the eyedrops had been known to cause flareups of herpes viruses in the eye. Dr Derebery looked this up and said, nope, not a single report listed of that. But will i ever be sure? No. Do i wish i had been just a little more patient. Well, in theory, yes, in practice, i am a human who deserves a decent life first and a contributor to the body knowledge of doctors who dont give a flip what i report to them second.

What approach was your surgery? Middle fossa, retro sigmoid, something else? Not sure if these are the vns approaches but different ones are noted for different side effects.

Also, not to muddy the experiement even further but ... menieres is i believe now widely considered to be an immune system gone wrong thing and there are many ways to take pressure off the immune system. That was the idea behind the allergy shots i took. For the longest time it bounced around in my head 'which is it? Virus or allergy? Cant be both' even though i seemed to respond to both. Finally i accepted the immune system thing and my experience made sense.

4. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thank you to everyone for the advice and inspiration...started JOH last week and full blast anti viral today. No more Mylan generic (thanks Scott)!!

At this point I don't care about my hearing...I just want some balance back.

Thanks again!

5. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    GL, Mac! And be patient. It can get worse before it gets better as the virus fights back. Stay at the highest dose as long as you need before dropping down. Some folks have taken a few months there.

6. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Scott, how long did you have MM before you took AVs? and when you say your hearing is fully recovered, did you ever take audiometry before and after AVs?

My audiometry result since 4 years ago are relatively stable @50-60 db. my issue lately is with the off balance and tinnitus.

currently on maintenance dose of acyclovir.

thanks.

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I've had it as long as i can remember. Was diagnosed in the 90s. Yes, i had hearing tests before and after.

Have you considered trying Famvir or valacyclovir?

8. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I took valtrex for almost a year before switching to acyclovir due to cost issue. no improvement in hearing with both.

9. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I got a doctor to prescribe me Valtrex.

however it is only 2 per day...If I do that with the JOH regimen...will that be enough?

reminder I am late stage Meniere's. any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks!

10. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Is better than nothing. Take 1000 mg of lysine 3x per day on an empty stomach.

11. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    It might be enough for some people, but definitely not for others. Every time I've been on 2 gms/day or Valtrex I've had a resurrgance of symptoms. 3 gms/day works. (Now I'm taking famvir to see if we can get me down to a lower dose.) Did you show him Dr. Gacek's article, which clearly states the amounts? I'd check in with your doctor. Maybe it was a mistake.

12. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    If your doctor doesn't care enough about you to script the proper dose, then fire him and find someone who does. Any doctor or nurse practitioner can script this.

13. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Ironically enough...I am seeing him today.

I will show some spine and push for the proper dose. thanks for the help everyone!

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    OK I need some advice

I have a doctor who will give me a script for 3 valtrax per day

or a doctor that will give me 2 famvir per day

i've used valtrex before without much success.

any thoughts?? which is better?/

15. jkc

jkc Member

May 12, 2014
    Get both scripts but only use one at a time

16. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017

If you had to chose 1 (which I do) what would you do?

Thanks!

17. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    What are the dosages? The number of pills doesn't really tell us anything...

You typically only need half the dosage for Famvir; that is, 500 mg of Famvir = 1000 mg of Valtrex.

18. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thanks Scott. You are the man.

Famvir is 2 at 500mg

Valtrex is 3 at 1000mg (new brand for me)

I just started using a new generic Valtrex 2 weeks ago...Unfortunately I was using Mylan off and on for over a year.

So I am really torn...I am guessing 3 is better than 2 but I am not sure/.

19. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Do the Valtrex, if it's name brand. 3000 mg of Valtrex is better than 1000 mg of Famvir. You can always switch later if needed.

20. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thanks Scott - I was thinking 3 is better than two. Jeez its frustrating getting these Docs to play ball...You feel like you are asking them for snake oil.

I may need to drive up to Mass to visit Dr. Gacek.

Thanks for your advice!!! You are a good man.