1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Food, Drink, and Special Diets talk

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pupper, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    If one was to eat/drink an MAV trigger, how soon do you get the reaction that would indicate to you that his was a bad idea? Hours, minutes, days? Is it a vague thing/guess or do the symptoms VErY obviously coincide?

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    It could take days.

The bottom line is that if you want the suffering to stop, you have to commit to the very strict diet. After you get control, then introduce one thing back at a time.

3. tornadito68

tornadito68 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I just reintroduced CHIPS to my diet but I look for some that are very low in sodium and before eating I rub the outside salt off. I'm really reacting well to "Late July Snacks" Sweet Potato corn chips (they have regular corn chips 65 mg of sodium). They have 70 mg of sodium but they use Sea Salt. They are also Organic.

4. You can get a cheap food dehydrator and make your own chips. It’s cheap, and you can control the added preservatives.

5. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I use Late July Snacks as well. 65mg per serving is reasonable, and they taste great.

6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'm too impatient and frankly it sounds a bit communist. But appreciate the advice.

Thanks bro, just ordered some off Amazon.

7. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Late July chips are amazing... and low in sodium -- Sublime are my fave and then the blue chips... I also buy Lays lightly salted and they just came out with lightly salted BBQ!!! I don't indulge in chips a ton but sometimes i just need something salty/crunchy. Lightly salted Ritz are good too - and Garden of Eatin makes a 5 mg of sodium per taco shell ..... I buy Mrs Dash no sodium taco mix on Amazon and use an organic cheese and lettuce and my bf makes me homemade salsa where the only sodium is natural from the tomatoes - and we use either chicken or beef -- OMG- to die for.....

So many things that I just don't eat anymore..... but have found ways around it.... My bf has really embraced my low sodium diet and has researched ways to make me pizza ( from scratch), bbq sauce, sesame chicken, tacos, etc.... for the most part we now eat and organic and healthy ( lots of salad) - rarely eat out because I can only get salads when we do.... and very limited at that.... but when I am craving something fun he usually comes up with something- i usually eat a burger once a week on a potato roll - they seem the lowest in sodium and Nathan's makes frozen french fries that are only 20mg per serving ( also Alexia onion rings are amazing) --and even dessert.... apple crisp yummy...

I don't drink or smoke ( cigarettes) - I do have my medical card for marijuana - nor do I ever have caffeine.... I think I have found a decent balance with food and while alot of it sucks -- much of my new diet that I have been forced to embrace is healthier for me anyway.....

Question though -- does anyone find that dairy increases the ringing or fullness in your ear/ears ? ( mine is only my right ear) - my other triggers are not enough sleep, stress, aside from sodium

8. tornadito68

tornadito68 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I always call the restaurant the day before to ensure they can do some kind of dish that includes a protein without sodium or sodium products. I have to make sure they have either a steak, chicken, or fish that hasn't been pre-seasoned. Also, it has to be fresh, for example if I'm having a burger I have to make sure it's fresh ground beef and not a frozen one.
    Eating at home is the best but I need to go out with my family and friends too.

9. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    -Trader Joes makes a great no-salt bag of tortilla chips. Exact same flavors as what you are used to, except no sodium. It may take a bit of getting used to but I love them now and on the occasion I have a salty chip off my kid’s plate it just taste bad. It took me a long time to get to that point though LOL
    -Safeway makes a store brand box of hard taco shells (regular and jumbo size) that are no salt. A comparable box of, say, Ortega brand is like 300mg pet shell or some such crazy.
    -I found a place online to order very low (or no?) salt dill pickles. That’s something I never thought I’d be able to eat again.
    -you can google recipes to sub for any of those “cheater packets” of spices: taco seasoning, chili, stroganoff mix, etc. I often make them in bulk and store them in pantry containers so it’s just as handy as the packets.
    -ditto for pancake “mix”. There’s nothing magical about Bisquick - you can easily bulk-mix your own low sodium mix.
    -I’ve expanded my horizons and eat different types of cheeses than I used to. Goat cheese is now my bff. Same with Swiss.

10. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Oh and building in Katrina said, most of the fast casual burger places make burgers to order and can leave out the seasoning (which is full of salt) on request. Smashburger and Bad Daddy’s are my two favorites. For fast food, Five Guys patties are no seasoning/salt although I’m not a huge fan otherwise (also still have the bun to deal with... those other two places do a great lettuce wrap.

11. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks for that taco recipe idea.

My helper just took me shopping. Went to Sprout's (healthy food store in South & Southwester US) and ran across Late July chips. We taste tested the low salt bags and liked the Blue Chips best. Hard to believe only 65 grams of sodium per 9 chips.

Side note. Incredible how grocery stores make you dizzy. I was doing fairly ok for me this morning. But once in the stores it got really hard. I had to leave all the stores early and have her check out for me. Did you know anyone can use your credit card? None of the cashiers asked her about it.

I watch my sodium just to be healthy. I have the wings at Outback with 2,500mg of salt and it doesn't seem to affect my dizziness. I get them with the BBQ sauce on the side and just dip a bit. But still, probably a lot of sodium.

12. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you living on your own pupper?

13. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Just me and good buddy Wiser, my pal Jack and his partner Jimmy Beam.

14. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Same with me, except I have now cut out all alcohol. Oh, and 2 cats. I cannot look after my 5 year old son right now with my broken neck and mm symptoms. He comes over for a couple hour visits, which drains me.

15. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    I don't see how you all do it alone. I have my understanding wife, 5 and 6 year old and a Great Dane to keep me company.

16. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Oh and Heinz No Salt Added ketchup is amazing - I don't even notice the difference.... same as no salt added spaghetti sauce.... Francesco Rinaldi makes a good one - there is another company that makes one - it is a little higher by like 20 mg - but i can't remember the name of it at the moment.... good substitute when we don't have time to make sauce and need a quick dinner.....

17. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I actually cut out all condiments, except pepper. However, I wonder if it makes a diffference to my symptoms. I have lost about 140 pounds over the last 2.5 years. I needed to lose weight, but do need to put 20 back on as I am too thin right now.

Yes, it is hard being a lone. I may get a ride and go into the office for a couple of hours this morning. Need to get out of the house.

18. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    How the frick did you drop 140 pounds in 2.5 years? Not doubting you. Just curious.

19. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Re: Food, Drink, and Special Diets ta

I dramatically cut back on my calorie intake and walked a lot. It was a slow process. The last 50 pounds came off this summer and fall. I am 6foot 3. I eat under 750mg of sodium a day and carbs around 150mg a day. Calories are around 1700 a day. I cut out dairy and bread. I also eat no sweets and eat very little sugar. I was feeling ok, considering I have mm until my fall last month. I thought the healthy living was keeping my symptoms at bay, along with the Valtrex and JOH. Again, I need to put 20 back on, but it is hard with such a limited diet.

20. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Re: Food, Drink, and Special Diets ta

awww man! you're the dude who eats plain! i remember you from a few weeks ago. the no condiments guy? your diet flipped me out that's how i remember you. so that guy broke his neck? i'm sorry man. can't believe that's you. you were doing everything SO RIGHT!! like CRAZY RIGHT. you were like Icarus trying to touch the sun. reachin for perfection. the gods don't like that. they slapped you down. my heart bleeds for you bro. broken neck!