1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Self produced ear pressure

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by tdoak, Dec 10, 2017.

1. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Curious to know if anyone else has noticed this.....if you put a finger in your affected ear and move it around quickly to change the pressure, do you experience nausea and dizziness? I do everytime, and it stops the second I stop moving my finger. It does not happen in my other ear.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Gonna try it right now, one sec.

3. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    That's actually the home test for PLF. Go get an official test and don't do it again as you can expand the fistula.

4. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    http://american-hearing.org/disorders/perilymph-fistula/

5. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been able to do this for a few years, I assume it is part of the mm. I looked at perilymph fistula but do not have any other symptoms.

6. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    How did you make out pupper?

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    This happens to me. I'm bilateral. I've had a VNS in one ear and have had steroid injections in the other ear. The hole from the injections, after several years, never did heal. I can produce dizziness and nausea in the ear with the hole. I've been checked for a PLF. I've always thought it has something to do with the hole in my eardrum.

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I have a similar issue. Almost threw up on the guy who was trying to fit me for a hearing aid because of that. I also have issues flying because of it.

I brought it up the doctor and he blamed it on ETD (Eustachian tube Dysfunction). Could also be why I get the popping sound in my ear. Much worse in my MM ear...go figure. I had bad sinuses and allergies for years so I am sure it did a number.

I had the doctor put a tube in my ear and it has helped with the pressure. I also looked int he ETD balloon surgery which is fairly new in the US. I believe Dr. Poe in Boston was the Pioneer.

I dont really feel like a another surgery just yet. Hope this helps.

9. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Dizziness
    Tinnitus
    Hearing loss
    pressure sensitivity
    sound sensitivity

You don't have have these? How are you diagnosed with MM?

10. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, I do have those symptoms, but not unsteadiness which increases with activity and which is relieved by rest, and symptoms get worse with coughing, sneezing, or blowing their noses, as well as with exertion and activity.

11. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes. I have to go easy with the cotton swabs also or I can get a little wave of nausea. I always assumed this was because of the increased pressure in the affected ear.

A side note, my dad who has had MM for 20 years always talks about popping his ears (like when yawning or chewing gum) to relive pressure in his bad ear. Doing this has never helped me, assuming since popping your ear occurs in the middle ear and doesn't affect the inner ear workings. Thoughts?

12. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I would agree it is he air pressure changing that creates the symptoms. It do find it odd I can only do it one ear.

13. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I can't pop my ear. Ever. It was maddening at first but I have learned to live with it.... along with the constant ringing it's a ton of fun. One of the indicators that I am going to have an imminent attack is the ringing grows louder and the pressure increases.

14. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I tried this and there was no response. I’m pretty sure my inner ear is damaged from all the 12 hour vertigo attacks. It can’t even work up a vertigo attack anymore so that may be why I felt nothing.

15. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I'm very sensitive to changes in pressure--get the whole slew of symptoms: dizziness, nausea, stuffed ear, tinnitus. I don't fly anymore, and wear pressure-change-slowing ear plugs (https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/flyfit/) when I drive to high elevations--like over 500 ft. Once in the audiologist's office I was getting a tympanogram (I think that's the term--they blow air in your ear to test the ear drum), and I had a brief but dramatic wave of vertigo like the whole room rocked.

My oto believes those things are from Migraine Associated Vertigo. Just based on the kind of nausea I get, that seems true to me.