1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Traveling tips :)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by shawry, Jan 9, 2018.

1. shawry

shawry Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Australia
    Hello all,

Hope you're all well and had a fantastic new years.

I'm planning a trip to Japan hopefully haha, I was wondering if anyone here has been to Japan?

I've had meniere's for almost 10 years now (I'm 26)

I haven't had an attack in a while, I'm on a low salt diet (under 1gram a day)

Thank you

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    In my daypack (small backpack) I keep a stack of large, paper fast food drink cups. In case I need to ralph. And a travelling memory foam pillow. In case I'm going spend hours prostrate on the sidewalk. 2 bottles of water. Small towel for blowing my nose. Sunglasses with black Gorilla tape taped to inner lense for photophobia while the sun is staring down at you. Learn how to say "I'm spinning, please kill me" in Japanese.

3. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    It’s “Watashi o koroshite kudasai”

4. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    You guys are funny!

5. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio
    Hilarious! But, the memory pillow thing is actually a good idea! Sometimes, when I've been on my knees for a few hours fighting the vertigo and the unrelenting urge to vomit, the pain in my arms and legs starts to rival the MM itself.......a memory pillow would be great at those times.

And learning a few key Japanese phrases would be key! HAHA!

6. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    In all seriousness, I've always wanted to go to Japan. My biggest issue with travel right now would be the unknown issues with cabin pressurization and jet lag. My symptoms seem to flare up when I get tired or I'm dealing with unfamiliar scenarios. Also, Japan can be sensory overload. I'm thinking Iceland might be a better place for me..

7. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I make sure I have a couple of large gallon size ziplocks ( again for the vomiting), lots of valium, and low sodium snacks ( apples/fruit, raw nuts or trail mix) - and if I know we are staying in a hotel that has a microwave in the room a lot of times I will bring my own food since it is so hard to eat out and then just order a small salad with my bf..... although traveling to Japan is far more ambitious than any of my traveling.... stay well hydrated and get lots of sleep.

8. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio
    I took a flight to Mexico about six months ago and was worried about the pressure changes as well, not enough to cancel my trip mind you, but it was a concern.
    No issue at all, as a matter of fact, for me, if I recall correctly it actually seemed to help the pressure in my head while I was up in the air.....then again, maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it definitely didn't make anything worse or cause any vertigo for me.

I had more problems with the green chili sauce......wow, watch out for that stuff if you ever go to Mexico.

9. rwj6001

rwj6001 Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Toledo, Ohio

.....and I don't go anywhere without my valium.

10. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Hadn't thought about Ziplocks because they are clear and I don't want to gross people out with my pretty bag of vomit. I'll see if they make some that are blacked out. Or maybe buy some airplane type sick bags with the convenient rim that you can hold just using one hand. How do they close though?

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Sweet! My laugh for today.

I’m learning Japanese dyeing techniques at art school. Maybe I’m gonna put this quote on piece of fabric. Or just get a T-shirt made.

12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Also regarding my travel pack:
    Ativan, clonazepam, Gravol.

I take a little clon and gravol preemptively before the drive or flight.

Little single pouches of alcohol swabs - sniffing rubbing alcohol reduces nausea and can prevent vomiting.

(On airplanes I’ve seen stewards use fresh coffee grounds for airsick people to sniff, and to cover the smell of vomit).

Never ever check in the rest of my meds - always in my carryon.

Only fly to airports that have airport hotels, so I can bail if I want.

Do several travel days to get there, if necessary, so I can rest along the way.

I’ve never regretted the cost of a direct flight. Saving money by increasing the number of stops... just isn’t worth it.