1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

AntiVirals

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Jan 7, 2018.

Which antiviral have you had more success with...Valtrex or Famvir? (For those who have had success)

1. Valtrex

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Famvir

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    got your email PapaJoe. what is the dosage per day? 1 tablet? and how many days usually need to take?

thanks

2. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I got your PM and replied. I honestly don't remember if it was 1/day or 3/day.

TLB, how often does your prescription say to take it?

3. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I believe Acyclovir 800 mg 3 x a day for 3 months and now 800 mg 2 x a day has dramatically reduced my vertigo, poor balance, hyperacusis and has improved my hearing in the affected ear slightly. I had fluctuating hearing loss in my left ear for 20 yrs before beginning treatment for MM so the Dr. didn't expect significant improvement in my hearing. He did say that it was good that I didn't have a prosthetic stapes per the recommendation of another ENT who diagnosed me as having otosclerosis.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ^^ Acyclovir was the antiviral i started with and gave me the lion’s share of the improvement. If you use it, be sure to spread the doses as evenly as possible across the whole day.

5. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi June, i'm currently taking maintenance dosage of 800mg acyclovir once a day as per Dr. Gacek's paper. do I need to spread it across the whole day? i.e. 200mg x 4 since i'm usually take 800mg in the morning.

6. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    No, the maintenance dose can be taken once per day.

But the lysine should be spread across three dosages.

7. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks Scott

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Here is what i was told by an eye doctor who said he uses antivirals a lot. Unlike valtrex and famvir, acyclovir does not persist in the system. He told me it was imperative that it be spread out through the day. He said the reason he used valtrex a lot was because he doubted patient compliance with the timing needed for acyclovir. I took 400mg 5 times a day when i took it and based on what he said i was very careful about timing. It was a small effort compared to the huge relief i got from acyclovir. I never took a maintenance dose of anything. It did not seem to be necessary for me, knock on wood. But my little pea brain thinks a maintenance dose isnt going to persist throughout the day any better than the big dose so if it were i and the pills made it possible i would pribably spread it out. OTOH, i can imagine a possibility that one big blast all at once in the morning or at night might be as or more effective than very small amounts across the day.

In summary, i dont know ;-) good luck, let us know your experience please.

9. Sorry I'm just now replying. I had turned in my prescription over the weekend and just picked it up today and I didn't remember the dose. I got the Nystatin from my Functional Medical Doctor and she prescribed 1 tablet 4x a day (500,000 units). I'm not sure what others have taken, but that is what she gave me. I also got a one month prescription with one refill. She said that if I'm feeling really good, to just fill the second month. I guess it is a VERY low side affect drug and I won't hurt taking it for two months.

I'll let you know if I get any relief!

10. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Nystatin is generally regarded as safe. It is non-systemic (doesn't enter the bloodstream) and so it doesn't place a load on the liver.

I'd recommend eating a low-carb diet while you're taking it. That will make the Nystatin a bit more effective. Eating high carbs will make the Nystatin less effective.

11. That's good to know! Thanks PapaJoe. I'll keep you updated!