1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Otonomy Inc - Otividex

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Johns,

That's awesome that you wrote the letter and got a response. That is the same guy who wrote back to me when I was sending letters earlier in the year. I wrote another batch this fall and had several family members do the same. I have not heard back yet.

It is so important that we keep on the FDA. I completely understand that this is not a miracle cure. However...all of these bio-techs are all about their bottom line. If drugs start getting approved for the inner ear (hell any drug) it will start a domino effect. Other start ups will see an opportunity to make money and we all will have more options.

Thanks again for following up!

Mac

2. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Great thread that I missed. I remember hearing an interview the drugs inventor (or owner of the company, one) on NPR over a year ago. He was driving when he had his first attack, almost wrecked the car, and went to seek advice. When he found out that there weren't really any drugs for MM, he set his team to work...and out came this drug in question.

The letter back from the FDA is promising, but it also means that it will likely be years until we see any breakthroughs. Meniere's unfortunately one of those obscure diseases that nobody knows or cares about. The big ones, cancer, heart disease, diabetes...that's where the money is quite frankly. But there's always hope that anyone who, God forbid inherits this from us, will have an answer.

3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I recently reached out to the head of VEDA and we discussed putting together a petition to send to the FDA to attempt to get Otividex approved. They are on board. They are publishing it in their newsletter tomorrow. I have the link attached below.

https://vestibular.org/civicrm/petition/sign?sid=6&reset=1

As many of you know...this is by no means a cure to MM. However it is an option for people who are suffering. Currently there are ZERO options approved by the FDA.

I know many of you are saying "but anti virals work for me...why should I bother." Well...look at it this way. Forget the steroid...focus on the drug delivery. The fact that you can stick a need into your ear and turn a liquid into a gel. I believe it is VERY important that the delivery method gets approved. Once you can deliver a liquid drug as a gel, that kicks down the door for more drugs to get delivered through that method. Possibly antivirals delivered the same way directly to the ear?

Also as I have said many times...this is a domino effect. If this drug gets approved it will bring more attention to MM and researchers will see the potential to actually get drugs approved and make money. That is what we all need.

So if you have 2 minutes please fill this out. It may never help you...but it may help someone you've never met.

4. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015

It's actually more complicated than that. This drug would not address the cause like antivirals do. It only addresses the symptoms. But more importantly, it could give ENTs yet another excuse to dismiss AVs in favor of a more expensive, and less effective, treatment.

5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I knew you would be a downer.

Hey man... it’s all good. You know deep down that anti virals don’t work for everyone.

Scott - do you know how they treat herpes in your eye? They put anti virals in an eye drop.

What if they could do the same with your ear? What if you could get a shot of antiviral that turns into a gel and stays in your ear for months. Well first this has to get approved.

If I am guilty of anything in life it’s thinking big. For the tens of thousands of people who have relieved with steroids... I encourage you to take a look. Hope everyone had a great day.

6. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    So it doesn't get lost in the shuffle...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    How am i being a downer? I'm just pointing out a possible negative outcome that happens all the time in the medical field. It's not news.

And of course i know that AVs don't work for everyone. I've said that at least 100 times.

Not sure why you're getting all snarky and offended, but that's in your head, not mine.

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    For anyone looking to expand the options of treatments available for MM sufferers...I encourage you to take a look at this petition. It is going directly to the FDA. It would be a huge step for advancing MM research!!

Very cool that VEDA is organizing it...Hope everyone has a great weekend.

9. Steroids worked for me for years and it still makes me sad that I no longer get relief from them. I just signed the petition and hope this can be helpful to someone else!!

10. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Nice work TLB!

Ok my last try...I am up to 250 signatures and just 1 from this group...haha - no wonder no one cares about MM.

If you are reading this post, steroids probably did not work for you. I get it. I have tried it all myself. That's why I'm here.

This is not a cure...Not even close.

But it will get press for MM. In the medical world of unsolved diseases...any press is good press. I encourage you all to take 10 seconds and fill this out so we can become relevant in the world of biotech medical innovation.

Hope you all have a great week!! Feel better!!