1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
scott tom

1 year on Valtrex (antivirals)

1. fairjon

fairjon New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks Scott Tom for sharing your story and progress, and everyone else for chiming in. This is a very helpful thread to us desperados!

MD hit me early in 2016. Extreme vertigo that Summer. Vertigo tapered off in the Fall but right ear deaf by the end of the year.

After trying various remedies in 2016 I settled on the JOH regimen in 2017 (thanks Jon!) plus low sodium diet, daily cardio exercise, Pycnogenol 150 mg/day, Betahistine 48 mg/day, and Acetazolamide 500mg/day (diuretic).

Pretty stable now and no vertigo this year, but I'm battling fullness in my left ear every day and feeling frequent "spaciness" lately. Gets worse with stress and fatigue. Bad feeling vertigo is coming back and left ear will also go deaf. So I'm going to try adding the Dr. Gacek study regimen: 800 mg (acyclovir) or 1g (valacyclovir) 3 times a day for 3 weeks, decreased to twice daily for three weeks, and finally once daily for a year or longer.

I have seen several recommendations in this thread of using Dr. Gacek's studies to convince my Dr. to prescribe an antiviral. Which studies are the best to use? Here are the relevant ones I have found (thanks in part to Vicki's posts):

1. Recovery of Hearing in Meniere's Disease after Antiviral Treatment https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25940200
    2. Ménière’s Disease Is a Viral Neuropathy https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/189783
    3. A Perspective on Recurrent Vertigo https://www.mm3admin.co.za/documents/docmanager/6e64f7e1-715e-4fd6-8315-424683839664/00056616.pdf
    4. Others?

Any other feedback on my current regimens is welcome.

Thanks!

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    FairJon, thanks for that. Eager to read those links when I feel up for it.

3. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Jon, those are the ones!

4. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Hi folks,
    It's becoming apparent that MM is caused, not by one, but by multiple infections, viral, fungal and/or bacterial, and it's likely that the bacterial infection is from stealth dental infections.

Because of the proximity of the teeth to the trigeminal and vestibular nerves, my opinion is that dental issues may be the common factor with MM.

If you've ever had bleeding gums, periodontal disease, an infected tooth (even if rooted or pulled), or traumatic mouth injury, you're at risk for stealth dental infections.

Please check out this thread to see if any of that applies to you: http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=2830.0

If I'm right, taking anti-viral, anti-fungal and dental treatments with abx would be the effective treatment for MM. Not to cure, or reverse, but to stop the progression.

5. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Oh, I have a question for those of you who are taking anti-virals. Did your doctor suggest them?

6. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Are you saying that this applies to everyone? Because that's highly doubtful. I don't have any dental issues, and i'm 100% fine with just antivirals. That was the purpose of this thread, so perhaps it would be less confusing if you started a new thread and discussed those dental issues there.

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    No, most ENTs and Neuros are too stubborn or ignorant to ever suggest such a thing. There's no $$ in it for them.

I am able to get my meds from my primary after showing her the Gacek papers.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Dr derebery did. My family doctor was more interested than i was in the beginning though i brought the suggestion up. She believed it was probably viral due to my history.

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I saw her in the hallway yesterday. She's quite attractive. Nice boots too.

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Idiot.

11. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm saying it's a possibility for a large number of people. Dental infections are in close proximity to both the trigeminal and vestibular nerves. I did start a thread about it and (iirc linked to it).

But I apologize for taking liberties and posting on your thread.

12. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I've been symptom free for two years, and now I'm moving on from posting regularly, as i have a pretty busy life. I wish everyone all the best, especially the newcomers. I hope each and everyone of you finds relief.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Scott, I truly am sad to hear you wont be as active on this site, but totally understand. Suffice to say, you have been an inspiration as well as guide for the last year that I've been active here. Your advice as been ever so valuable to me. I'll miss seeing your posts. My hope is that your health continues on this path and that you remain symptom free. Take care.

14. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Scott,

I hope your health stays well. You have provided a wealth of information and support on the forum to others. Sorry to hear to hear you will not be as active, but can certainly understand. Go live life!

15. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Continued best of health, Scott. Thanks for all your help.

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks and good luck! I hope you will look in periodically. Your contribution has helped many people and there will be many more needing help.

17. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Scott,
    I wish you all the best - can't thank you enough - I started on AV a year ago after communicating with you and credit you with the quality of life i now enjoy instead of fear of driving while dizzy and worse, vertigo with vomiting. I hope your experience will still be available here for people to read because it's invaluable. I didn't know where to go for help, felt desperate so, thank you.

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve just started Valtrex. Hoping it’ll save my left ear, kill my vertigo. Wouldn’t it be amazing to have no weather effects, less tinnitus, less dysequilibrium so I can exercise and dance, less hyper acoustics so I can play more flute and enjoy live music again?? Dare I even hope?

19. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, dare to hope and be patient. Look at the long trend. There will be ups nd downs but look at the trend. I hd outstanding success with antivirals. I hope you do too.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks June!