1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

famvir and heart irregularites

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by forevergrateful, Mar 3, 2018.

1. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Has anyone else taking famvir had heart arrhythmia, palpitations and/or any other heart issues? I've been taking Famvir 500mg 2x daily for 6 months (switched from VAL back in late Aug) and have started noticed heart irregularities within at least the last 2-3 months. All tests so far show no heart disease. My research points to a possible connection to this medication. Turning to you, my Meniere's community for input. Thanks.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have not but i didnt take it that long. I did have palpitations with decongestants.

3. yellow

yellow Member

May 13, 2014
    If you google ‘famvir heart palpitations’ you will find plenty of reading material. There is even a website devoted entirely to the topic! It seems that females aged 60+ are statistically more susceptible to this phenomenon.

4. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    How much Famvir are you taking per day? Which brand are you taking? Thanks

5. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Yellow, I definitely fit the over 60 yrs old category. (actually 66).
    Dwayne, I have been on FAMVIR for six months now. I take the TEVA Pharmacy generic. I'm not really sure how long I've had arrhythmia. I just made the connection when I realized the crazy sound of the tinnitus in my right ear is actually my heart beat. I will check out the website suggested regarding this med and palpitations. All I can say is I'm really afraid to cut back on my antiviral meds. Although I'm not back to 100% I am so much better than I was last year at this time in terms of MM symptoms. The cardiologist I saw said it's all anxiety.....of course, he was more dismissive to my situation than all the other drs I've seen in the last two years. Trying to get into see another dr, but right now it's a 7wk wait.....long time when your heart is pounding thru your chest!!

6. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Dwayne I forgot to add I take 500mgs twice daily.

7. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I'm 50 and female, taking famvir twice daily. I've been taking famvir for a little of 4 months, some of that on three/day. I've been really happy with the famvir and am sorry to hear that. Good wishes and let us know what you learn, please.